1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stories from the Stealership...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gusher, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Jan 9, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    gusher

gusher [OP] SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    So, dropped my Tacoma off at the stealership to have my 30K service done along with the rear spring TSB. I left my service book open to the page with the 30K service checklist on my front seat. Service writer calls me and says "our 30,000 mile serices is 'different' than the one in the book." He said they generally replace the coolant and trans fluid at 30K miles. That seems wayyyyy early to me. Don't do a ton of towing or anything else that would make me think I'd need the trans service that early. And that just seems way early on the coolant service.

I said follow what the book says. Thoughts?

2. Jan 9, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    BlueXenon

BlueXenon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles and Newport Coast
    Vehicle:
    2009 Magnetic gray TRD sport (SOLD) 2004 Radiant Red TRD Off Road (SOLD)
    Pro Comp 6" Stage 2 lift, N-Fab nerf bars, tinted windows, debadged, 6000k xenon headlights, 18" ProComp 7089 Wheels in black with BFG AT KO 33's, SnugLid tonneau cover, Line X'ed TRD skid plate. SOLD! Waiting for the 3rd Gen!
    I would go off the service book Toyota publishes and gives to every owner. Forget what the dealer tells you. Majority of dealers hire people that don't even know what they're doing. Just to give you an example, I have 4 Toyota dealers that are relatively close to me. Each of them do something different for the 30K service. 2 of them don't even change antifreeze because they claim the antifreeze lasts 100k miles.

3. Jan 9, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    You've gotta remember the service writer is paid on commission. More service = more pay for him.

Just go by the book. If you were towing a lot or doing a lot of stop and go driving I would change the transmission fluid. The antifreeze thing is BS though.

4. Jan 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    I just did my 30K service. It consisted of spark plugs, cabin a/f, engine a/f, oil filter and oil. If you rotate tires regularly you can do that too...
    If you read the book carefully, it actually doesn't recommend fluid changes unless you use your truck to tow "a majority" of the time. Majority of 30K miles > 15k miles.
    The book also talks about lubing several components but I skipped over that for now.

5. Jan 9, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    auto tranny fluid...60,000 miles
    coolant...100,000 miles
    Ask that bozo where it says otherwise (in writing)...Is it BS or is it a new service update?

6. Jan 9, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    turboser

turboser Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    white v6 6spd 4x4
    all stock for now
    i agree i work @ a dealer its commision and more hours for a flat rate tech as well... but i will say its really not a bad idea to do all of this either though...

7. Jan 9, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    jfr02

jfr02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb 6spd sport
    sorry if this offends anyone but if you leave your antifreeze in for 100k your a fool.i don't care what other's may tell you it is not good practice to do that.ask anyone who is a tech i wouldn't recomend it either would any tech i ever worked with.all they guy's i worked with and myself changed it every two years or 30k.as far as the trans service every 30k maybe more often if you tow alot or if you live in hilly area stop and go traffic etc.most people change their oil on regular intervals why should you tranny be any different.it's cheaper to changed the fluid than replace your tranny.

8. Apr 18, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    3.4PDM

3.4PDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Transmission fluid change I would agree with. GF's 95.5 Tacoma with an automatic now has 260K on it. Trans flush every 60K which is pushing it but its done well for her
    Coolant is perhaps overkill depending on time. Every two years though... Cheap insurance

Products Discussed in

To Top