1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Storing bicycle in backseat of doublecab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by antistu, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Feb 22, 2013 at 5:38 AM
    antistu

antistu [OP] Member

Member:
    Nola
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 TSS
    I found a forum posting on Toyota Nation on installing a fork mount into the rail. I installed mine last night (see attached photos).

Yakima Fork mount is locking with key and I have a Kryptonite cable laced around the rear wheel. I may still use the rear cab on occasions. Unless you show up with some powertools nabbing this will be difficult.

@dexterdog - I know guy who got 5k through his homeowners insurance on a stolen bike. I've asked the question to my provider and they claimed they'd do the same.

Img_0464.jpg
    Img_0466.jpg

2. Feb 22, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    thegreatwall23

thegreatwall23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Off Road
    Armor Shrockworks front bumber Shrockworks Rock Sliders Brute Force Rear Bumper XRC8 with synthetic rope Relentless Full Skid Pack Suspension Icons 2.5 extended travel all around with King 14" 700# Springs Icon Tubular UCA's All Pro Standard Leaf Pack 3 degree axle shims Wheelers front bumpstop U bolt flip kit Timbren rear bumpstop Mods rear diff breather fog light anytime ABS Disable TPMS disable Door Chime disable Seat Belt Chime Disable Cab Mount Chop Pinch Weld Mod BHLM Other 4.56 Nitro gears FX-R Retrofit HID's with Halos PIAA fogs and driving lights Wet Okole seat covers Weather-Tech floormats Access LiteRider bed cover AMP bed extender Viair 450P-A Rocky Clutch SD mounts Pop-n-lock tailgate lock Aux rear lights Rear sliding window security bar B.A.M.F Light Bar Ultragauge 48" Hi Lift Jack with Bed Rail Mount Bushwacker Fender Flares ECGS PTFE Bushing SS Brake Lines Brembo Blanks Hawk HPS In cab winch control (12voltguy) Tint
    I have the Rocky Mount SD and you can buy it with the locking skewer as well...

20121115_174337.jpg

3. Feb 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Someone was there .

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Both look like good options, and I'll probably do the same. Throw a cable though a cargo D-ring and I don't think there's much more that could be done. Thanks for the photos.

4. Feb 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    San Diego ca
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB 4x4 FTMFW
    I have the rocky mounts SD and 20mm thru axle attachment piece. Couldnt be happier and its nice you can order more mounts with locks to fit the current key you have. The only thing I dont like is rocky mounts puts the key type on the locking mechanism. I dont know why as someone could see your truck, get the key number, order a set for 20 bucks and bam next time he sees you have a bike.

5. Feb 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Careful use of a Dremel tool will take care of that, but you might want to write that code somewhere first. FWIW, I put my radio and key codes on the door jamb of the vehicle, next to the data plate. Easy to find, and not much chance of the codes falling into the wrong hands there.

6. Feb 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    timmyedge

timmyedge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Layton, UT
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR DCSB
    Magnaflow cat back exhaust with down pipe, Volant CAI, BHLM w/new bulbs, 3000K replacement fog lights,Debadged/Painted/Re-badged to say TACO/ New JVC Dbl Din Nav in dash/ Fosgate 400W amp/ Fosgate 10" sub/Tacotunes box/ Order OME complete lift w/Daker springs and LR UCA's/Ordered SCS Stealth 6 Matte Gun Metal -265/70R17 Goodyear Duratracks, BAMF behind gril light bar, Custom Trial Ridge Sliders , bed mat, weathertechs, Wet Okles, All Pro Front IFS skid Plate, Plasti Dir rear bumper Future MODS-Skids IFS/Fuel tank, transfer, rear dif
    If your that worried about it, DONT LEAVE THEM UN-ATTENDED...realistically I could rip that out of your bed and have a new bike. Im a cyclist to, so I know where your coming from cause my bikes mean the world to me. But I dont leave them unattended for to long. When I go cycling, I go cycling not shopping. If you really want to have a theft deturent and go shopping with your bikes, just lift your truck. If its to big the thief will be like "ah hell no, I aint climbing in the bed of that, ill break my leg getting out of it.."

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  7. Feb 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    I agree, but I think this is more for the inevitable times when a stop to or from the ride is required. It's also good to consider just for the ease of securely (movement, not theft) transporting them.

8. Feb 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    San Diego ca
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB 4x4 FTMFW
    I agree with Door Ding. Its not like I leave my bike in my truck just egging people to steal it. I usually have multiple cable locks on my bike if I do leave it unattended. It is nice too to lock the quick release in so you make sure it doesn't come loose on an extended period of driving.

Its amazing though, in San Diego it seems all the other bicycle forums I am on someone is getting their bike stolen once a week if not more. And these are your 5,000 dollar bikes. If I sit and eat somwhere where we can see our bikes nonstop. It is nice to think that no one is going to steal your bike but nothing is safe anymore.

To Top