1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Straight up... cheap easy way to gain decent horsepower

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by tac1uscg, Mar 7, 2010.

1. tac1uscg

tac1uscg [OP] Member

Member:
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    08 doublecab sport
    OME 3 inch lift, Nitto Terra Grappler tires, Konig Countersteer offroad type x wheels, bed cover, grille guard w/ PIAA lights, Pioneer AVIC-X920BT head unit, Pioneer TS-A6993R front door speakers, JL C2-525x rear door speakers
    CAI...Exhaust...headers.... what is the best way?

2. Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    Horsepower isn't ever really cheap. Real gains- Super charger and a good tune...

Decent gains- Remove excess weight, better air filter, higher flow muffler....All the basics...

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Horsepower is just a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

4. 1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    $$$=horsepower! effin sucks!

5. quackhead03

quackhead03 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    Vehicle:
    03 ex. cab
    K&N filter flowmaster exaust w/ chrome tip
    throttle body spacers

6. steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 SR5 Xtra Cab V6
    265/75/16 BFG A/T's, OME 881's, Wheelers 5 leaf pack, 5100's, Home Made Sliders
    lol

7. YeahYeah

YeahYeah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    (My Home - Murrieta, CA) Now, Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    mud flaps gone, second air-filter gone, DTRL, fog light whenever and work with hi-beams, cut exhaust (was wicked flow), flat black stock rims, ABS switch, cup holder led's (with switch), turning signal mod #45, Bilstien 5100's, grill mesh
    hey, just curious not relating to the post but tac1... coast guard right? where you stationed?

8. Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Like someone above said, "wud ya wanna spend"?

I've summarized the performance upgrades that I am aware of as follows:

Notes:
    o I have not pulled the trigger on any of these as yet, playing with an air intake mod, swapped in an electric fan, but that's it
    o data is from research I've done, and what I've seen others have done, summary is my own, opinions and order is my own
    o some combinations of mods make sense, others don't, I'm not even going to attempt that list
    o multiple mods are rarely totally cummulative, i.e., CAI+CB+MAF does not equal +15hp ***

Group 1 ($250-400 each):
    o Aftermarket CAI - 3-5 hp at top end, gain/loss is intake "growl/noise" depending on your stand
    o Cat-back exhaust - 3-5 hp at top end, gain/loss is exhaust note, hard to gauge what sounds good to you personally, may be too loud/droney, or too quiet
    o URD MAF Calibrator - 5 hp +/- - I'm least up on the gains for this one, you'll need to do more research

Group 2 ($500 +/- each)
    o Headers - 15-20 hp - LT or shorties, decision depends on where you want the power (high-rpm or low rpm) and how much to spend, LTs require O2 sims, shorties require the cats to be welded on
    o Y-pipe - 10 hp ?? - I'm least up-to-speed on the true gains here, need to watch out for an annoying rasp if using the Y-pipe and LTs

Group 3 ($1300, not supported on 09+ yet)
    o APR X-1 - 20-25hp - complete control over ECU maps, includes exhaust cam gear upgrade, should equate to more power across the rpm band due to tunability

Group 4 ($3500-5000 depending on who installs)
    o TRD/URD supercharger - 50-60 hp or so - it's an SC, power should come on from off-idle to redline

Group 0.5 (forgot it earlier... $50-100 each)
    o drop-in air filter (i.e., AFE Pro-Dry) - ?? hp, probably somewhere between 0-1 :)
    o cut in a muffler - 2-3 hp (or -hp depending on muffler), get the CB sound at significantly less cost

Personally, if I were to pull the trigger right now I would do some combination of Group 2 and 3 depending on funding levels. I don't see the benefit of Group 1, and don't particularly want to invest to the Group 4 level.

To Top