1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strang Brake Rotor Problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by kigmob, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Jun 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    kigmob

kigmob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Orleans/Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    97 TRD S/C 4x4 V6 5spd
    ICON/TC MidTravel TRD Supercharger
    I recently got some Brembo Blanks and Hawk LTS pads. After the install I tried to do some of the techniques mentioned on the back of the Hawk box to break in the pads. I accidentally hit the brakes really hard one good time. After this I starting hearing a repetitive clunking while braking. The clunk changed with the speed I was going as I was braking. I immediately went home and took off the tire. After some inspecting, I realized I could grab the hub and spin it back and forth while the rotor remained still. The clunk I heard was the rotor hitting my studs. The rotor was not seated on the hub properly. I tried everything I could to make it sit right but every time I test drove it, it did the same thing. Did I warp the rotor by braking too heavily too soon? Is it no longer seating properly because it is warped? I can't believe that braking hard one good time could ruin a new rotor. What if I was driving after installing my brakes and a kid ran out in front of my truck? Any input is appreciated guys.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  2. Jun 18, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    Moco

Moco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    96 Regular Cab 4x4 5spd
    Im far from an expert on the matter, but my recommendation would be to pull everything apart and walk back to step 1. The re-assemble ensuring that everything is properly in its place, torqued down, and greased/lubed as necessary. I doubt stabbing the brakes would've warped your rotor.

3. Jun 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    X2

4. Jun 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    kigmob

kigmob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Orleans/Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    97 TRD S/C 4x4 V6 5spd
    ICON/TC MidTravel TRD Supercharger
    So replaced the rotor with another Brembo from Napa and it is fine. Maybe it was a defective rotor? Weird...:confused:

To Top