1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*** Strange Clunking Sound....HELP*

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 04tacomaSR5, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Jan 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    04tacomaSR5

04tacomaSR5 [OP] Proud Canadian

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Toyota hard tonneau cover, custom seat covers, nerf bars, more to come...
    lately I have been driving around and from a dead stop and sometimes on a bumpy road there is an odd *clunk* sound in the front right of my truck... any thoughts?
    I was doing some research (and I'll be looking into it once I'm back in town) about there being a recall on the lower ball joints that would cause a noise in the front suspension. I'm thinking its that but again, still have to see if the recall was taken care of my the PO and if not then I'm stumped.

Any thoughts?

2. Jan 31, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    96Taco

96Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 DBL CAB Tacoma
    Could be anything bouncing around. First check your suspension components. Also your sway bar bushings and link ends. Ball joints upper and lower, control arm bushings too. Check the rubber bushings on your shock absorbers.

3. Feb 1, 2012 at 1:09 AM
    Hambone155

Hambone155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    Causing Butthurt is my job
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    strut bushings, thats what happened to me. and she rides like a dream now. look to see if the lower mount has a torn bushing.

4. Feb 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    Wreckless_71

Wreckless_71 WRECKLESS for Life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pullman, WA.
    Vehicle:
    98 ext cab Tacoma
    3" Lift via OME 881's, Bilstein 5100's, Dakar OME 3" leaf packs, MBRP custom exhaust, HID headlights, CB, Canopy, aluminum wheels, upgraded sound system, full set of studded snow tires and wheels, auxilary lighting, more to come.
    DO what they mentioned above, start checking any and all moving parts in the front end. If you can, put the front up in the air (jackstands under the frame) so you can move everything easily and check for freeplay. Also keep in mind if you have 4x4 the CV joints will pop and clunk when they're going out. Good luck, happy hunting!

5. Mar 14, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    mats0

mats0 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    vashon island, wa
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma sr5
    I just bought a used 99 tacoma sr5. On the drive home I noticed a clunking sound while hitting some bigger bumps. Long story short I found that the bushing on top of the shock absorber had been crushed leaving about a quarter inch of play (driver side front{usa}) .
    I had my girl friend bounce around in the cab while I looked for the sound. I haven't changed the bushing yet but it was very obviously damaged and even looks like it could be shimmed if it needed to be in a pinch.

I have read a few posts about people changing everthing in the lower front end, I couldn't see it until I had a person put weight on the truck, makes sense that people or techs working alone would miss it .If nothing has worked try it out.

Good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top