1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange Engine Noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FrijolPower, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    FrijolPower

FrijolPower [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sport
    Been looking for answers on existing threads, but nobody seems to be having the same issue I am. First a little background I have a 2008 PreRunner TRD Off Road, it has 40K (mostly babied) miles on it, I have added a TRD CAI and TRD Cat back.

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed a strange sound from what appears to be the engine. The best way to describe it is a cross between a tap and creaking sound. Imagine holding a piece of foil taut and dropping metal ball bearings on it (sounds strange but the best way I can describe it). I have noticed it most uphill at low RPM (1000 to 1500) in that between gears area - truck has shifted to a higher gear before ascending up hill and hasnt shifted down yet and I havent given more gas.

I have checked for any loose parts in the engine compartment that might be creating the sound and havent found anything - any ideas?

2. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Sounds like pinging. Preignition when under a strain. I haven't experienced it with any later model, computer controlled engine, though. Maybe that is just because of better sound insulation. The best way to stop it is to shift to a lower gear. A little bit of pinging won't hurt anything, but it is probably best to avoid it.

3. Apr 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    FrijolPower

FrijolPower [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sport
    Thanks buddy! I won't worry too much about it for now, unless it gets worse - probably like everybody on here, I know EVERY sound my truck makes, even with music full blast I can hear the slightest change. Trips my wife out.

4. Apr 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    Did you just install the exhaust? Could be an exhaust leak which could make the notorious toyota engine tick even louder.

5. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    FrijolPower

FrijolPower [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sport
    No, I have had it in for about a year and a half, and the CAI intake for a little over a year.

6. Apr 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    What brand and what octane fuel are you running?

7. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Mine had a similar noise prior to my first plug change. I could even feel the low rpm stutter at times. The NGK bank had widened considerably by 30k and replacing them fixed it.

You have 40k. Did you change them yet?

8. Apr 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    ^^This

Mine pings on 87 octane in the situation that you describe.

9. Apr 7, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    FrijolPower

FrijolPower [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sport
    I only fill it up with Tier 1 gas, and 87 octane. I am embarrassed to say i havent changed my plugs - I just bought some NGKs and was planning on installing them next weekend when I finally have a chance.

Thanks for the advice!

10. Apr 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Plugs will make a noticeable difference. Top Tier 87 octane is fine for these engines.

11. Apr 7, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I agree that the 87 isn't going to hurt the engine. The knock sensor will hear the ping and the ECM will back the timing off. But mine does ping on Chevron and Shell 87 octane. It's only for a second or two, then goes away. 89 or higher and it never pings. MPG goes up too. As always, YMMV.

Products Discussed in

To Top