1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange Noise when engine shuts off

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Roger in AZ, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Dec 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    Terras

Terras Member

Member:
    Let me understand. I submit a paragraph in an effort to share knowledge about the Tacoma; and then get slammed. Got it. So I did hit a nerve after all. I thought so due to previous responses. Although some were cute like asking how to make your truck have that same ‘cool’ sound. It does not matter how many units are sold, or which product line the Tacoma might outsell. That is comparing apples and oranges where the smog injection pump is concerned. It appears your trucks are making a whole host of other sounds that you find more irritating. Out of the three other Tacoma’s I have owned (2-2WD and 1-4WD) I was fortunate not to experience many of the issues described as NVH. Hence my return to purchase yet another Tacoma. Trust me, the noise was not overlooked and is being addressed. Oh, and while living in Austria for 5 years I owned two diesels. I don’t remember either of them making the racket this smog pump makes, but they were German built cars. To aid in your quest for exactly how I feel: me embarrassed…No; is it embarrassing for the Toyota name and company…Yes; initially disappointed…Yes; will it ultimately get resolved…Yes. Not sure if a return here to offer whatever solution may be able to quiet that noise is worth the aggravation. But I probably will. One thing is for sure, this, like most open forums, is not dull.

2. Dec 28, 2012 at 4:44 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    My 2013 is a couple weeks old now. I was about to take it to the dealer because I was positive there was something wrong with it because of this noise.

This is my fourth Taco ('98, '05, '09, and '13, and I had an '07 FJ with the same drivetrain). None of them ever made a sound as atrocious as this.

Every time I pull into work, I pray that none of the guys I work with are around when I pull in, because I know they'll bust my balls until the end of time about the racket this thing makes when it shuts off.

3. Mar 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Well I was gonna ask about the noise....now I know its normal...:eek::D

Slashaar likes this.
  4. May 22, 2013 at 5:25 AM
    bigshug1

bigshug1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Concord, VA
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC Off-Road 4x4
    ^What he said...I just assumed that the noise was okay. Glad it's nothing out of the ordinary!

5. May 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    Drakivnsf

Drakivnsf Dance Party Guru

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '12 White Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    TRD Supercharger, URD CAI, BRP pre-axle catback, Anytime Rearview Camera mod, Power Sliding rear window, Glassworks Unlimited Front Fenders, ScS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17, 3" All-Pro Std Leafs, 2.0 Fox adj. res. shocks, 2.5 Fox res. Coilovers, All-Pro +2" LT kit, Timbren Bumpstops front and rear, All-Pro U-Bolt flip kit, Pelfreybilt Hybrid front bumper, RCI IFS Skid, RCI Sliders, more to come.....
    Im losing faith in humanity........starting to happen on a daily basis now

6. May 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    tacomalimited

tacomalimited Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 tacoma limited double cab Short bed 4x4.
    I kinda like the noise, I think it sounds cool! :D

7. Jul 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    johnca6

johnca6 New Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2013 Limited 4x4
    Running boards, skid plate
    I've driven 3 differentnNissan Titan trucks for the last 11 years and recently bought my first Toyota Tacoma. There are a lot of things I like about it, but the noise when shutting off the engine is a big turnoff. It seriously sounds like something is wrong with it.

Very disappointing function. I hope Toyota can make modifications at some point.

Anyone know of a fix?

8. Jul 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    jaymac10

jaymac10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    OEM Baja Kit
    I'm glad I found this info. I just purchased a 2013 sport and was wondering what the sound was.

But that's just it, wondering. I couldn't give a flying f*#k that it makes a sound when shutting off...

I don't have to deal with smog where I live (thank you Canada!) but I'm sure it's a step in the right direction for some areas...

Do all manufact's have the same thing?

9. Jul 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    pjstran

pjstran New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4 Super White
    Glad I know what the sound is now. Glad also that it doesn't bother me.

10. Jan 4, 2014 at 4:37 AM
    foreman

foreman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota tacoma
    I have driven cars with smog pumps all my life and yet to have one make noise like my new Tacoma. I wander if the Camerys or other Toyota vehicles do this? Keep complaining to Toyota maybe someone will listen !!!!

11. Apr 30, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    cjcold

cjcold Active Member

Member:
    I'm on my second tacoma. First was 1999 that I bought new and modded with pretty much everything at one time or another for 14 years. Toyota bought it back due to frame rust. New tacoma is exact same truck down to the black color with alpine nav/dvd, tint, de-badged, and softopper, so far.
    I just tell folks that it's the supercharger de-pressurizing as a safety feature.

DoorDing likes this.
  12. Jul 1, 2018 at 2:29 PM
    Bonnie’s Squeeze

Bonnie’s Squeeze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Bluffton, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Volant CAI, TRD Exhaust, Throttle Body Expansion with vortex, too many others to mention.
    Got the noise on my 2015. Does sound like a turbo winding down. That's my story. Sticking to it.

DoorDing likes this.
  13. Jul 1, 2018 at 2:32 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The 2012-2015 tacoma and current Tundras had issues with underhood temperatures and catalytic converters on the manifolds.

The remedy was to move the cats further away and use air pumps to heat up the cats faster and to complete the chemical reaction after shut down.

This sound is normal, Toyota has introduced warranty extensions for both models to help those who need it.

You won't see them again once the Tunrda is updated, the 2016+ tacoma no longer has them.

DoorDing likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top