1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

strange smell?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bfred13, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Jan 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    bfred13

bfred13 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brittany
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma trd
    Lift
    Boerseun- I called my step dad today and asked him about it, he told me to get under the truck and look at the tires to see if there were any rub marks, there wasn't but I saw that there was a bunch of grease there still and he said well right there is your problem. So he said it was the grease from the cv boot. But it is getting sold once I get down to Florida, I love it but it's just too much right now. Thank you all you helped out alot! :)

2. Jan 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    bfred13

bfred13 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brittany
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma trd
    Lift
    But yes the truck coast's normal and there was an alignment done right after the ball joint and I got the tires like a week after that so they gave me a free alignment since I just had to pay for one. But driving it today it didn't do anything like there was no smell, so I am thinking it was the grease. But thank you everyone you helped me out alot! I really appreciate it.

3. Jan 23, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Glad you found the problem. Sorry that you have to sell the truck. They are really reliable trucks, you were probably just on the unfortunate end of bad luck.
    Save travels to Florida.

4. Jan 23, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    bfred13

bfred13 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brittany
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma trd
    Lift
    Yes I agree, they are VERY reliable trucks, it has 140k and the engine has NEVER given us any trouble, knock on wood. With all stock suspension and everything on it it was time to do some maintenance. But we just can't keep up with it being a young couple and now that my car is totaled it is our primary vehicle and with the lift and the tires we have to get on it, it would just be too much. I love "tonya" the toyota, and I am very upset we are getting rid of her, but I will assure you we will be getting another one in the future, and we will only ever get Toyota's.

5. Jan 23, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    bfred13

bfred13 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brittany
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma trd
    Lift
    And thank you everyone for not making fun of me for being an idiot! :)

6. Jan 23, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Ma'am , you were clearly not an idiot!

7. Jan 24, 2012 at 3:33 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Since we're on the subject, there are several ways to reduce auto repair expenses. Perhaps the best is to find a small, independent, shop willing to make repairs using remanufactured or used (from a junkyard) parts. Ask if the shop can do this and then request it before each repair. These shops can often cut repair costs in half or less, with usually no real decline in the quality or safety of the repair.

Of these small shops, those repairing fleet vehicles for small companies are often the very best (cheapest, good repairs, etc). If your employer has such vehicles, ask where they're are repaired. The shop may offer even further discounts to employees just to maintain good relations with your company. Of course, if your employer doesn't have fleet vehicles, simply look for shops with commercial vehicles in the repair lot.

8. Jan 24, 2012 at 4:10 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Not many ladies would be able to go through the troubleshooting that you did.
    Good job!

Products Discussed in

To Top