1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange sound from engine

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by IV317, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Mar 13, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    IV317

IV317 [OP] Member

Member:
    I bought a used 08 tacoma with 38k miles on it. It's a base model 4 cyl. regular cab and was the first vehicle I bought. I've had it for about 5 months and it's always had this very low hissing noise when I press the gas pedal at higher speeds. I'm hoping it's not a problem with the gasket but if that's what it sounds like, could anyone elaborate on the issue? Again, it's this low hissing/humming noise (almost a pre-1khz tone) that's hardly noticeable and is overtaken by the sound of the engine as I depress the gas pedal more. It seems to start at about 30mph'ish and up.

2. Mar 13, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    can you determine where its coming from on the engine, might wanna check the manifold bolts and the bolts where the manifold hooks up to the cat.

3. Mar 14, 2011 at 4:22 AM
    HomeGrown

HomeGrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    South Bend, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4WD
    Yeah, I'd say to check your exhaust manifold and pipe bolt connections.
    I've never noticed it on either of my previous 2 trucks ('08 & '09) but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. Engines in new vehicles make all kinds of strange sounds from all the electronically controlled devices. You should hear my Prius carry on AFTER shutting off the engine! :D

Afterthought, check your air filter housing to make sure all connections are tight and seated properly.

4. Apr 18, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    IV317

IV317 [OP] Member

Member:
    I'm not too keen around the engine block, but i'll take a look. Thanks!

5. Apr 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    sambojee

sambojee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OffRoad
    Bilstein 5100 all around set at 2.5. 1.5 AAL in the rear. 265/75/16 Hancook Dynapro MTs on Black Moto Metal 951s. Black badges. Aftermarket grill. TRD seat covers.
    ive got a similar sound but its only around 50 and up. im not too worried about it becasue my, 99 tacoma, 03 sequoia, and 06 highlander all do that. Dont think its much to worry about, if its not broken then dont fix it

6. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    It usually doesn't happen until 80k+ miles, but the cat may be toast. After checking for exhaust leaks, have the exhaust backpressure checked. They pull an oxygen sensor and put a gauge on it. High pressure means that the cat is plugging the muffler. The high pressure forces exhaust out the gaskets and sound like a hiss. Eventually the cat will completely plug the exhaust and the engine will not run.

Hopefully, It's just a leak:)

Products Discussed in

To Top