1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange sounds and bright lights

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pickupchic, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Mar 9, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    pickupchic

pickupchic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4x4, SR5, 4 cyl, 5 spd mt
    Hey all, just curious if anyone has had the following minor problems with their pick-up. For background purposes I have 3,500km on an 09 Tacoma access cab, 4x4, manual transmission.

1) vibration sound... could be described as creaky, plastic on plastic sound in the passenger side dash (not caused by stuff in the glove box but sound located somewhere in close proximity to it). Seems to happen when it's colder than -10 degrees celsius outside, varies from constant to whenever i go over a bump/dip in the road.

2) Again when it is cold (colder than - 10 degrees celsius and I plug my vehicle in)... Apparently there is a computer malfunction caused by the block heater when you plug your vehicle in. The check engine light flicks on (and stays on) and trips the traction/stability control (turns it off). The dealership says that because 2009 Tacoma's have "wet" block heaters they are heating more than the battery and when this gets through your engine upon ignition or when cold air from the intake enters the engine, the computer reads warm then a sudden drop in engine temp and doesn't know what to think. I didn't know there were different types of block heaters. The only 'fix' for this right now is going back to the dealership to re-set the computer. Very annoying.

Anyone else have these issues? Any advice?

Thanks! cheers

2. Mar 9, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    Sorry for your trouble but we don't have problems like that in Florida. As a native I don't do cold and if I was in -10 Celsius I'd be headed back south.

Sounds like the block heater is not connected right and that there are two different materials cooling at different rates.

Good luck.

BTW, we hit 28 Celsius today.

3. Mar 9, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    pickupchic

pickupchic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4x4, SR5, 4 cyl, 5 spd mt
    Thanks haha

4. Mar 9, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    I thought I had a weird sound coming from the glove box, turns out my darn sun visor on the passenger side wasn't properly attached :lol:

5. Mar 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    trailmaster308

trailmaster308 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner 3" Toytec Adj Coilovers 2" AAL
    Yes 09 here. The plastic rattle sound is a new "feature" that comes with tacoma's.

I wouldn't normally say something like that but my buddy bought a green 09 a week after mine and his is doing the same thing now.

We live in Louisiana and its warm. Give it a few more months and you get used to it :p

6. Mar 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM
    Runamuk

Runamuk Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OFR V6 6Spd
    I have the same truck...09 AC 4x4 6sp...and have no rattles now. I did have one in the back seat left side rear overhead but got that fixed. If I were you I'd have the dealer check it out, its way to early for you to have ANY problems!

7. Mar 10, 2009 at 2:51 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Airaid Short Ram Intake, 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs, 16" Konig Countersteer rims, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I haven't had to plug my Taco in all winter and it starts up just fine. Don't know where you are in Alberta but I'm in Cowtown. Even -30 with windchill no problems.
    Weird to hear about the block heater though. I'll have to test that and see if my 07 has the same problem.

To Top