1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange TPMS situation on am I crazy.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Tom0662, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Apr 12, 2011 at 11:38 PM
    Tom0662

Tom0662 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDORSB
    Tuesday I had new wheels and tires installed with no TPMS installed. Left the originals in the stock wheels and tires. I get home and dump off the wheels and tires and take off for work. Now I figured as soon as I got going the light would come on but it didnt.
    Ok, wait till I get going down highway and it might come on, still didnt. After work coming home, still no light. Mind you I am not complaining about it, if it doesnt come on, good deal I guess.
    Anyway, a question. Should'nt the light come on almost right away after starting vehicle or when you start moving? :notsure:
    TPMS light comes on with initial key on and then goes off.

2. Apr 13, 2011 at 1:23 AM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Sometimes it takes a while. My other car it took a day or so to finally notice they were not there anymore.

3. Apr 13, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:

x2, the system only queries the sensors every so often. So if they are nearby your truck at some point during the day (i.e. if they are in the garage where you park at night or something like that), then it will take the light a while to come on.

4. Apr 13, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    You would think the system would do a diagnostic check at start up at the very least. Of course if you park in or near the garage where your stock wheels are located then everything would check out okay but if your work is a fair distance away and you started your truck it seems the system should pick up the absence of the sensors.

5. Apr 13, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    Papa Tac

Papa Tac Adjunct Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Tac
    Codroy Valley, Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Ned Ludd Edition
    Pupped my ride - Dog bench, Black stock rims, Tail Gate antitheft mod, Bed storage and sleeping platform, Action Cap w/Yakima rack and Rola basket, Seatbelt chime off, Tentasaurus
    I know jack about most stuff, but it seems to me that the sensor activates by distance/radio transmitter range.
    I live in a large valley, and can drive around here forever (winter rims no TPMS) with no light. When I head out the highway, I get about 40km/25miles when the indicator light comes on. Time doesn't seem the issue to me, but the range of the TPMS transmitter.
    My stockies are stored in the shed, at proper psi. Resets on its own whenever I get home.

6. Apr 13, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    douggytundra

douggytundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    orlando
    Vehicle:
    09 D-CAB 4x4 White Sport Taco
    I have heard about if you take them all out at the same time including the spare one it won't come on. You just need to get them away from the vehicle so they wont populate again. Also you need to make sure all of this is done without turning the key on. Let me know anyone who has heard of this..

7. Apr 13, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Over the last 4 winter/spring seasons I have stored my winter tire package that has my original oem rims/sensors only triggering a light on occasion.
    I can drive 20 miles away from the house, park all day or overnight & not trigger a light.
    This past Sat. the seasonal swap was done.
    On Sunday, I drove to NH & of course the light triggered.
    Got home later in the day, parked overnight & the light had reset by itself when I went to work in the a.m.
    There are few on here only using one set of sensors for winter/summer tire sets with the same results.

8. Apr 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    its timed. 20 minutes into your drive (away from the sensors) the light will flash for one minute. Then it will stay on. If you turn the truck off before the light begins to flash, this timer will be reset.
    I went through this all winter long when i had my winter tires on and the summers were in the shed.

9. Apr 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    This ^^^^. Specifically, as stated in the FSM, a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) is output when no signals received for 30 minutes or more, vehicle speed of 5 mph (8 km/h) or more detected and still no signals received for 12 minutes or more.

If you park where your tires with the registered TPM sensors are stored, the system thinks all is well until you are about 30 minutes into your trip. The system then checks for the registered sensors. If any fail to signal, the system rechecks after another 12 minutes and then fires a DTC if no signal is received. When you return to the registered tires location, the system again recognizes the sensors and all is well again.

10. Apr 14, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    Tom0662

Tom0662 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDORSB
    Ah Ok. I drive 5 miles to work and 5 home where the oem's are, so that explains that. Was going to call the tire shop and see if they did something to keep the light from coming on. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top