1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Street Cameras???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by plee33, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Aug 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    JohnnyWayne

JohnnyWayne The Past Through Tomorrow

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Lantana, FL
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD Sport
    Look out for snakes in the grass guerrilla marketing.
    By the same train of thought I should have no problem with being followed wherever I go in public, amirite? Pretty sure there are laws against stalkers and I'm not against law enforcement doing their job but the question becomes where does the line get drawn.

No need to cover it:
    http://www.phantomplate.org/index.htm

2. Aug 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    12DblCab

12DblCab I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    Your example really isn't related to what I posted. You have a license plate, in which the sole purpose is to identify your vehicle from other vehicles, and you're covering it up. That's alot different than someone following you in public.

As for your license plate spray, Mythbusters has already proven it doesn't work. The red light cameras we have are in a seperate location from the flash, so the flash doesn't reflect towards the camera.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2007/03/episode_73_beating_the_speed_camera_exploding_patches.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/m...rtation/way-to-beat-police-speed-cameras.html

All this being said, I don't like red light cameras issuing tickets. I think an officer should be observing traffic violations in person.

3. Aug 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    SalmonTaco

SalmonTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Naches
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver TRD Sport
    Brute Force bumpers, TRD FauxLocks, 5100s & 885s, Falken Wildpeaks, SnugTop MVP Shell, Tuffy Bed Box, Console Vault, Fogs anytime, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Wet Okoles, aFe Pro Dry S, PowerStop Z36 pads & drilled/slotted rotors, more shit I can't remember
    In Seattle we have photo-enforced stoplights all over the place. About a week after I got my truck I went through a yellow light (really dark yellow, pretty much red) and got a sweet picture of my new Taco in the mail along with my ticked for running a red light.

I'm 100% sure they do work, and it is not worth being an idiot and running red lights. You can get off easy like I did with a fine, or you could cause some serious damage to yourself, you truck, or another person.

4. Aug 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    They don't do anything but if you look at the instructions on the devices, you'll see instructions on where to ride to to "make it work best". I bought one and tested it out. I went to a known good light that easily trips with my bike on the left edge. I took the magnet device and held it about 1-2 inches above the road and ran it up the side like I would normally ride. Since the device normally would sit about 8"-10" above the ground when mounted on the bike, the magnetic field from the magnet would have been 8-16 times stronger when placed 1-2 inches off the ground (magnetic fields decay at a square of the distance). If it has any impact at 8-10 inches up, it should have major impact at 1-2 inches. The device did nothing on a known working light.

Here are the instructions that usually work for me. They were given to me by a retired CHP motorcycle cop (I took his advanced MSF class):

There are four types of road sensors that you can sometimes see in the road, circles, squares, diamonds and two long parallel rectangles. On every type but the rectangles, ride your wheels over the left-most edge and stop over the last one. For the two parallel rectangles, ride right up the middle where they join.

If you can't see the elements (got paved over or something) ride up the left edge as those are usually more common.

If it's a stop light you frequently encounter, call the city and have them turn up the intensity.

The "proceed with caution" advice can vary from state to state. Some don't allow it.

5. Aug 9, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Then I suppose it's fortunate we haven't crossed paths. :) A ticket for running a red light or speeding is more severe than improper display of plate, which is a non-moving violation. That said, I've used polarized covers for over 10 years without any cops paying attention to them.

The automated enforcement devices (red light cameras, speed cameras) make mistakes as shown in SalmonTaco's post \/

6. Aug 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    Those sprays do not work!! They are rip offs, you need a clear cover with some sort of reflective prisms or such in them. There is a speed camera device in europe that allows you to fool the camera by sending back a signal that your doing the speed limit (set via a knob on the unit in your dash). But no one in America has tested one yet for over here (they are $600 roughly). I've been researching passive radar jammers for awhile now, laser jamming is legal but k-band jamming is illegal according to FCC.

7. Aug 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong (hopefully LEO will chime in), but I heard that some of the red light cameras are not through the city or Police, but instead a 3rd party company. And when you receive the ticket in the mail, your $ goes to them and not the city, and that in the end, you don't have to pay for a ticket at all.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/29/local/la-me-0329-red-light-cameras-20120329

Thoughts?

8. Aug 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    pippen

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    The companies have a contract and it looks by that link you posted that the cameras are working and fewer people are being ticketed to they cannot afford the system now, thats what I figure.

9. Aug 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Then wouldn't they just take the cameras down? My city used to have those cameras and when they couldnt afford to pay the company anymore, all of the cameras in the entire city were removed

10. Aug 9, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    pippen

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    Well you know how cities like to do things that don't make sense....hehehehe :p

11. Aug 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    I work late at night so when I ride home, the timers are usually off and most intersections rely on sensors. Some dont pick up my bike so I usually proceed through the red after clearly checking to make sure nobody is around. If I ever do get stopped though, it will make for one interesting night. If I am on my way home from work, my duty belt including taser, gun, etc, will be in my backpack... so getting stopped in the middle of the night for blowing a red light, then explaining that I have a firearm in my backpack will surely make for a not-so fun filled evening. Then telling the officer that I am wearing a bullet-proof vest.. hah... its only going downhill from there :rolleyes:

12. Aug 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Yea I saw those magnets being advertised and I didn't think they would work.
    Calling the city is a joke.
    I find if I do stop in the right area it still won't switch but will if I throw my kickstand down in that area. Might be coincidence but just want I have observed.

You Think ???? Hehehe
    I try to avoid the lights but sometimes I can't. So I do the left turn, turn around,left turn. Wait for a car to sneak up behind me or just run it after a cycle.

13. Aug 9, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Aren't you supposed to treat red lights like stop signs in downtown Detroit?

Products Discussed in

To Top