1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stripped manual Tranny Plug...HELP Please!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by VTmc, May 31, 2010.

1. May 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    VTmc

VTmc [OP] Member

Member:
    Burlington, VT
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma SR5
    5" lift
    So the other day I decided to treat my 95 taco with some new fluids. I had planned on changing the tranny, transfer and diff's with some new synthetic gear oil. Started off in a great mood but quickly gave myself a pounding head ache.

The problem...I stripped the female threads on the transmission drain plug. At first I was in disbelief until I looked up the torque on the plug AFTER and realized it was only 20 or so...not a lug nut! There went the $30 in new fluid.

Got a new m18 plug from the store just to give it a shot. Thought it was going to work but when I tightened it, she must have stripped more cuz what was a drip before, turned into a pour and out came the all fluid.

I'm now stuck...Can't find an oversized M18 plug....can't find a M19 plug or tap so I can move up a size....Help! I've never tapped anything and am quit nervous: This is my baby we're talking about. Even if i tap it the next size up...like i said, i haven't found any place with a m19 plug (i know that's equivalent to 3/4 inch and still haven't found it). I need someone to point me in the right direction and let me know where to find/ what exactly I need.

Also, I believe the original plug is M18 x 1.5 with a 16 thread pitch. Does that mean I'm looking for a M19 (or 3/4 in) x 1.5 plug with a 16 thread pitch???:confused: I'm officially lost on what to do!

Thanks.
    Matt

2. May 31, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    See if you can find a heliciol in the size needed. Then, you just thread it in, and the new bolt after it.

To Top