1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

stripped the fill plug on rear diff

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mpoirier, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Oct 1, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    TX Tacoma

TX Tacoma Fightin Texas Aggie

Member:
    Arlington, TX
    Harbor Freight sells cheap LH drill bits. Buy a set and the right sized Easy Out. Use a center punch to put a dimple into the center of the plug. Put your drill on reverse and drill a hole in the plug with the LH drill bit. Use the Easy Out in the drilled hole to get the plug out.

I broke off a timing cover bolt in an engine block once and the above method worked like a champ. In fact, the Easy Out wasn't even necessary; the drill tip grabbed the bolt and turned it out far enough to grab it with pliers and unscrew it the rest of the way.

2. Oct 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    jbrenn

jbrenn Well-Known Member

Member:
    allen texas
    Vehicle:
    10 sr5
    I did the same thing. i used a chisel and broke the crush washer out the used a screw driver behind the bolt and was able to back it out.

3. Oct 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  4. Oct 2, 2012 at 5:10 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    There is no need for an LH drill bit to use an easy out. A conventional bit is just as good.

Also, OP doesn't need an easy out. OP stripped the threads, not the socket. OP needs a wedge to drive under the head to pop it out as he reverses the threads.

5. Oct 2, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    TX Tacoma

TX Tacoma Fightin Texas Aggie

Member:
    Arlington, TX
    True, but why risk driving the plug in further (possibly inside the pumpkin) if spinning it CCW helps to back it out with whatever threads may remain?

An Easy Out would grab the ID of any drilled hole to grab the plug for unscrewing when OP "reverses the threads" as you put it. An Easy Out would probably work on its own, grabbing the inside of the socket of the plug without any drilling.

If you want to apply an axial force to help the plug come out, you could remove the cover, drain the oil, and push the plug from the inside while unscrewing.

There are a million ways to skin this cat.

After the plug's out, more than likely you're going to need to drill/tap for an oversize plug. This means metal where you don't want it. With the cover off you could mask off the ring, pinion, carrier with a clean rag and also run a wet/dry vac to suck up any chips you make. Point being that getting the plug out is only half the battle and opening the diff may be necessary regardless of the method used.

6. Oct 2, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    The head of the plug is going to prevent that, unless you dremel it at 10 million RPM and melt it through the hole.

And as I said already AND the OP said, he has NO PROBLEM gripping the head with his hex key to turn the bolt. An ezout isn't going to help with anything. You're just adding unnecessary complications.

What he needs is a significant force pulling the plug OUTWARD as he turns it. An easy out isn't going to do that.

Little excessive, don't you think?

Already pointed out in this thread: unlikely. He stripped the THREADS on the PLUG. If anything, he will need a tap with MATCHING threads, just to clean them out.

MUCH less complicated just to rinse it out after running the tap through it.

7. Oct 2, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    No cover. 3rd member

8. Oct 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    Amos

Amos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DC sport
    I was able to get the bolt out with pliers. I used a size M18 Thread 1.5 tap to make sure the threads in the diff were straight. The new fill bolt from the dealer went in well, lets hope it holds!

The socket for the drain and fill plug is 24mm.

9. Nov 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    buck4502

buck4502 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    While we're on the subject.. does anyone happen to know where to find the plug online? I need to get a new one, and work nights, so a trip to the dealer is difficult... thanks in advance

10. Nov 3, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Any wrecking yards near by ??...:notsure:

11. Nov 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    conquistador

conquistador Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    88 4Runner

Get yourself some of these http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/rear-axle-parts/low-profile-magnetic-drain-plug-metal-gasket. I used them on my 88' axles, manual trans, and t case and should fit the Tacoma as well. No more worries about rounding off bolt heads.

FFMast likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top