1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strut Bar Removal ... front end damage posing a problem

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by seligman, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Jul 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    seligman

seligman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I need to remove a strut bar on my 96 2WD Tacoma. As you'll see in the photo, I have a problem removing it.

Front end damage bent the front side of the bracket which holds the bushing.

Any suggestions on bending the front side frontward again would be most appreciated.

strutbar_stuck.jpg

Here's why I need to remove the strut bar. The bracket on the opposite end is broken. Another possibility here is to separate the bolt from the bracket and strut bar (underneath the bracket). The bolts are pressed into the bracket and as you can see, the left one already came loose.

In case you're wondering, I'm planning to weld the broken piece to the bracket again. All I need is for the bracket to separate from the strut bar.

strutbar_broken.jpg

2. Jul 2, 2010 at 10:15 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Big pry-bar?

3. Jul 3, 2010 at 12:24 AM
    seligman

Member:
    Tried that, no success. Also tried hitting it with a small sledge hammer. In both cases I'm not sure if we did it from the proper angle. I thought about putting a metal wedge on a floor jack, just inside the bent bracket, then lifting the jack with the wheels on the ground. The wedge would have to be milled and positioned properly.

Hopefully somebody else has a better idea. Oh yeah, in case anybody asks, I don't have a torch hot enough to bend that kind of steel.

4. Jul 3, 2010 at 12:33 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Did you try a chisel and hammer lol

5. Jul 3, 2010 at 1:32 AM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    Some chain and a big tree?

6. Jul 4, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    seligman

Member:
    Thought about the chain and tree possibility. I'm afraid that will bend it outward too much.

Needs to be bent in a controlled fashion, because the bracket can't be destroyed and I want to re-use the strut bar after fixing the other end.

To Top