1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stuck Diff

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacoTuesdayyy, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Apr 27, 2015 at 9:53 PM
    TacoTuesdayyy

TacoTuesdayyy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    04 TacomaV6 TRD sr5 Xtracab 4x4
    2.5 inch Leveling kit in front, 4x4 foot Smittybilt Defender roof rack sitting on custom built bed rack, Trail Gear Stinger bumper for first gen 4runner with adapter bracket, 2 inch shackle kit on rear leafs, Smittybilt 10,000 pound winch, Two 7" HID spots mounted on custom light brackets under stinger, Train Horn, 35x12.5x15 Cooper MTPs , Various LED Pods and 42 inch light bar.
    Im trying to disassemble my rear axle. Axle is off the truck. I took both shafts out and all bolts around 3rd member housing also locker actuator and that small sealed cover on the side of the housing where the locker goes. But for some reason I can not remove the 3rd member housing any help? Thanks!

btw i believe my ring and pinion completely shattered thats why i need to open it up so i can re gear it

2. Apr 27, 2015 at 9:56 PM
    TacoTuesdayyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2.5 inch Leveling kit in front, 4x4 foot Smittybilt Defender roof rack sitting on custom built bed rack, Trail Gear Stinger bumper for first gen 4runner with adapter bracket, 2 inch shackle kit on rear leafs, Smittybilt 10,000 pound winch, Two 7" HID spots mounted on custom light brackets under stinger, Train Horn, 35x12.5x15 Cooper MTPs , Various LED Pods and 42 inch light bar.
    Ok but if the gears are all mangled up could that cause the locker to not be in the engaged position?

3. Apr 27, 2015 at 9:56 PM
    TacoTuesdayyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Or Be able to be in the position?

4. Apr 28, 2015 at 8:14 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Locker must be in the locked position. "Lock" can be achieved manually by removing the actuator and rotating the rack gear inside the diff housing. The whole deal is a very close fit, sometimes it helps to turn the ring gear as the diff is pulled out as a tooth of the ring gear can "just" catch on the housing.
    Of course odd "metal chunks" floating around inside could jam in numerous places. The only remedy for that will be creative use of magnets, probes, flashlight, shaking, twisting, flushing, rotating and most important cussing.

TacoTuesdayyy[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 28, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    TacoTuesdayyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Ok thanks haha

6. Apr 28, 2015 at 4:18 PM
    rzgkane

rzgkane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TDR Sport 4WD DCLB - Cement - Tech and Premium
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    You forgot hammering.

Products Discussed in

To Top