1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stuck ICON Coilover Set Screw

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by JohnShelton, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Sep 26, 2017 at 7:08 AM
    JohnShelton

JohnShelton [OP] ☢ - ☣ - ☠

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 silver Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon stage 1 Suspension W/ 4" lift and fire stone ride rite rear air bags, Apex bumper, level 8 17" rims, 32" wildpeak A/T tires
    I bought my Tacoma with an ICON Stage 1 suspension system already installed. I just recently tried adjusting the coilovers to level the truck and the “set screw” on the driver side coilover is stuck. Idk if it was cross threaded or just over tightened and seized but I tried PB blaster and already broken one allen wrench. I’ve contacted ICON but they haven’t gotten back to me yet. Has anyone ran into this problem or know of any other things that I may be able to try.

2. Sep 26, 2017 at 7:43 AM
    nm4553

nm4553 You had me at "Meat Tornado"

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Sport
    SCS Stealth 6 Matte Bronze on Toyo Open Country 265/70R17, Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Bilstien 6150 w/ Remote Resi, Dakar Leaf Pack, Wheeler's Bumpstop, OVTuned
    Did you try loosening it with the front end jacked up and the suspension at full droop? The coil may be pushing against the collar where the set screw resides causing an unnecessary amount of tension on the collar. It might be worth a shot. You should adjust the preload using that method anyway.

3. Sep 26, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    JohnShelton

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    Icon stage 1 Suspension W/ 4" lift and fire stone ride rite rear air bags, Apex bumper, level 8 17" rims, 32" wildpeak A/T tires
    thanks for the response,

yeah I had the entire front end up and the tire off the driverside that I was trying to adjust.

4. Sep 26, 2017 at 8:12 AM
    zippsub9

zippsub9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halfmoon, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB
    Shit bolted onto other shit, and junk.
    Drill out the set screw and go without or order a new collar from Icon.

Either way PITA

5. Sep 26, 2017 at 8:14 AM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Know a good mechanic that might have a truck or two to loosen it? If not, drill it out.

6. Sep 26, 2017 at 8:17 AM
    zippsub9

Member:
    Halfmoon, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB
    PB Blaster is the first step, using an oven or a freezer helps as well but not really an option here. You could use larger and larger Allen heads until it pops or an extractor set to remove it. Not many tricks here, it is soft aluminum and won't take a lot of abuse.

doorsidedown likes this.
  7. Sep 26, 2017 at 8:17 AM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pet peeve of mine when shit gets overtorqued.

8. Sep 26, 2017 at 8:21 AM
    05tacomabro

05tacomabro will work for truck parts...

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    05 dcsb trd off road
    Icon ex. Travel co's, spc uca's, bamf lca skids, 1" body, all pro heavy duty sliders, expo springs, BAMF shackle hangers, 14" bilstein 7100, rear frame box, custom rear frame crossmember, ifs skid, transmission skid, t-case skid(modified by @jeepandrew for exhaust reroute and more beef), custom k&n intake, flowmaster, diff breather mod, stereo with nav/speakers/subs, coverking tactical ballistic seat covers, Baja utility rack, lots of bed liner, anytime fog mod and steel braided brake lines, energy suspension rad support bushings, abs kill switch, cali raised ditch lights, fsr rtt. Lots of plans, little money....
    Make a mixture of acetone and atf, 50/50 mix. Apply a few drops and let it sit for awhile, apply a little more and have at it, repeat if necessary. It works miracles.

9. Sep 26, 2017 at 8:25 AM
    05tacomabro

05tacomabro will work for truck parts...

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    05 dcsb trd off road
    Icon ex. Travel co's, spc uca's, bamf lca skids, 1" body, all pro heavy duty sliders, expo springs, BAMF shackle hangers, 14" bilstein 7100, rear frame box, custom rear frame crossmember, ifs skid, transmission skid, t-case skid(modified by @jeepandrew for exhaust reroute and more beef), custom k&n intake, flowmaster, diff breather mod, stereo with nav/speakers/subs, coverking tactical ballistic seat covers, Baja utility rack, lots of bed liner, anytime fog mod and steel braided brake lines, energy suspension rad support bushings, abs kill switch, cali raised ditch lights, fsr rtt. Lots of plans, little money....
    You could also get a can of that duster shit they use for cleaning key boards (can't remember the name) hold the can upside down and spray the shit outta it. It will freeze the Allen bolt and might just give you enough shrinkage to work it out.

abqnurse80 likes this.
  10. Sep 26, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    TMFF

TMFF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    01/02 DCLB
    Stuff and junk and things...
    Pull the coil off and cut off the collar and install a new one. I get a few like this a month. I keep the spring adjusters on hand.

11. Sep 26, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    nm4553

nm4553 You had me at "Meat Tornado"

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Sport
    SCS Stealth 6 Matte Bronze on Toyo Open Country 265/70R17, Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Bilstien 6150 w/ Remote Resi, Dakar Leaf Pack, Wheeler's Bumpstop, OVTuned
    Huge PITA.

12. Sep 26, 2017 at 2:48 PM
    JohnShelton

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to see if there's a way for me to heat it up or freeze it, I'm trying not to take it off. If that doesn't work I might try an impact driver or a screw extractor see if that works

13. Sep 26, 2017 at 3:11 PM
    zippsub9

Member:
    Halfmoon, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB
    Just be careful when go with the impact/extractors/drill bits that you don't go too far and destroy the shock body thread behind it. There is, or at least there was when new, a small piece of plastic behind the set screw in between the shock body to prevent damage so you don't have to all the way to the shock body.

14. Nov 2, 2017 at 4:00 AM
    JohnShelton

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    So I ended up drilling out the set screw it works pretty well I was able to adjust the coilovers to the height desired. I contacted icon and they said there's really no need to replace the set screw but in the future I'm a rethread that hole and put something in there.

zippsub9 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top