1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stuck in H4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TheFlyingPotato, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Aug 10, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    TheFlyingPotato

TheFlyingPotato [OP] Member

Member:
    I don't understand how this would make the motor move the gear system. As I understand from the system drawing, ports 1 and 2 energize the motor which moves the gear. What am I missing here? Forgive me, I don't toy with electronics, thanks for your patience in explaining this stuff.

2. Aug 10, 2021 at 8:25 AM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    If I understand correctly he wants you to manually run the motor to the different positions and check continuity across each of the contact's.

3. Aug 10, 2021 at 8:40 AM
    6 gearT444E

6 gearT444E Certified Electron Pusher

Member:
    Deep South
    Herculiner Hootus
    This VVVVV Apply voltage to the motor terminals while monitoring the limit switch terminals for proper drive gear timing.

Dm93[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Aug 10, 2021 at 8:53 AM
    TheFlyingPotato

Member:
    Gotcha, that makes sense.

So, to clear things up for myself, I need to use wire a battery of some type to complete the motor circuit by connecting ports 1 and 2 in the pigtail that I will plug into the actuator port. Simultaneously, I will use a multi meter and monitor the connection for each combination of 3&4, 5&4, and 6&4 until I get no reading from 3&4/5&4 and a good reading from 6&4. Once that is achieved, the limit switches will be in the H4 position to match the rod position in my transfer case. I can then completely install the actuator as normal with the final gear and everything in theory should be good to go. In theory.

Dm93 and 6 gearT444E like this.
  5. Aug 10, 2021 at 9:11 AM
    6 gearT444E

6 gearT444E Certified Electron Pusher

Member:
    Deep South
    Herculiner Hootus
    You've got it! :thumbsup:

6. Aug 10, 2021 at 9:33 AM
    TheFlyingPotato

Member:
    Bless you, sir! Learned some good stuff from you!

6 gearT444E[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Aug 10, 2021 at 11:57 AM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    I’m pretty sure I recall that some people have used a 9v battery to clock/test the actuator motor. Beats running long leads to the battery.

winkel and SR-71A like this.
  8. Aug 12, 2021 at 2:38 PM
    TheFlyingPotato

Member:
    So all the parts came in. I managed to introduce 9v to the system using ports 1 and 2 on the pigtail and got the motor to move the arm. Great success! However, I cannot get the motor to move in reverse. Swapping the polarity with the wires on the battery does not do anything.

I'm gonna go hit the gym for a bit. If no one has a solution by the time I get back I'm just gonna open her up and move the switches to where I want them :notsure:

9. Aug 12, 2021 at 2:43 PM
    TheFlyingPotato

Member:
    Confirmed with the multi meter, there is definitely current running through and it even reflects +/- when I swap polarity.

10. Aug 12, 2021 at 8:22 PM
    TheFlyingPotato

Member:
    Progress: I eventually unfornicated the clocking situation. I think that the housing or something was too tight on the motor whenever it pegged itself to one side or the other. Once I loosened the housing a bit, it would the motor would change direction with the current polarity. I clocked the actuator to H4 like the truck had been in for the past week and installed it onto the T case. As I installed it and tightened down on the bolts, I heard two little thuds. Not a "something broke" thud but definitely a "something moved" thud. When I turned on the truck, I was able to get it in 2WD and the 4WD light extinguished. Great success! However, when I tried to get it back to H4, I would get the flashing 4WD light. I brought a friend over and we both heard the actuator moving. I even took off the panel covering the final gear and observed the gear move as my buddy changed the switch back and forth from H2 to H4. So, good news, the actuator works!

I've deduced that the thuds I heard was the the rod actually moving into 2WD as I was tightening down on the actuator. Not sure how that happened, but whatever. I drove the truck around and it is most definitely in 2WD. However, I clocked the actuator to H4. So when I got everything up and running, the position of the rod and the position of the actuator did not match. Tomorrow I'm going at her one more time. This time gonna make sure that the rod and the actuator are matching before the install.

6 gearT444E, SR-71A and TnShooter like this.
  11. Aug 13, 2021 at 7:35 AM
    TheFlyingPotato

Member:
    Thank you all for your help! I'll be in the Silverton/Ouray area labor day weekend in a brown 2012 Tacoma with a camper. If we ever bump into each other, the beers are on me!

winkel, steelcity2, Dm93 and 3 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top