1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

stuck in the snow

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by snowedin, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Apr 3, 2020 at 8:45 PM
    Superdave1.0

Superdave1.0 Grandma Dave

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    Stay warm and stay positive. Thank god you have cell service!

ready6delta, Hobbs, wilcam47 and 2 others like this.
  2. Apr 3, 2020 at 8:48 PM
    WrecklessAbandon

WrecklessAbandon They call me skippy

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Olympia, WA
    Crocs with socks
    Good luck OP, I had to bow out sorry. @JDAM is on his way so you are in good hands.

Hobbs, wilcam47 and shane100700 like this.
  3. Apr 3, 2020 at 8:55 PM
    cubie

cubie Aznrednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 and '18 TRD OR 4x4 Access Cab
    I love recovery threads, and everyone loves a happy ending!

ready6delta, grubburg, Hobbs and 2 others like this.
  4. Apr 3, 2020 at 9:07 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    This could’ve gotten ugly. Glad to see the OP is getting taken care of!

Please rethink where you guys go and what you do. There’s now additional exposures here, not to mention what there would be if a rescue team had/has to get involved. I know the OP didn’t mean to get stuck and not trying to slam him, it’s just a good example of staying within your limits right now. Our first responders and everyone else are trying to limit their contact with each other when possible.

Intrepid, ericp95, mosccat and 13 others like this.
  5. Apr 3, 2020 at 9:46 PM
    Wyckedan

Wyckedan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Woodinville WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Stormtrooper AC 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s.
    1 fully operational Death Star
    And you can never have too much recovery gear, but you can definitely have not enough

6. Apr 3, 2020 at 9:50 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    Such a good point!

wilcam47 likes this.
  7. Apr 3, 2020 at 9:54 PM
    JDAM

JDAM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Worshington
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD OR
    I got to the Snoqualmie Pass to find it shut down. Was able to get off at W Summit exit and stopped at the gas station. Texted OP to say I could hang for a while until pass opened up. OP said two trucks were there so I went back home.

OP just texted that he's out.

8. Apr 3, 2020 at 9:55 PM
    Hobbs

Hobbs Anti-Lander from way back…

Member:
    Yep…
    Vehicle:
    Rock Bangen', Desert Tamin', Gold Findin' Machine!
    Good deal! Thanks for passing that along.

9. Apr 3, 2020 at 9:57 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    :thumbsup:
    Thanks for going out and trying.

10. Apr 3, 2020 at 10:03 PM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    I was wondering if the pass would be open. I looked out the door of my garage and the ground was white!

wilcam47 and shane100700 like this.
  11. Apr 3, 2020 at 10:04 PM
    JDAM

JDAM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Worshington
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD OR
    I'm just bummed I missed out on the action LOL

12. Apr 3, 2020 at 10:12 PM
    Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Under the Stun Gun

Member:
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM OR DCSB
    Shit just got here and was looking for an excuse to hit the road

13. Apr 3, 2020 at 10:13 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can 3rd gens recover 2nd gens, is that even allowed here?:anonymous::D

14. Apr 3, 2020 at 10:21 PM
    Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Under the Stun Gun

Member:
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM OR DCSB
    Looking at the mods on this one

tcjacado[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 3, 2020 at 10:28 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    That's not digging yourself out, not even close to it. Your exit route is the way you came in, in reverse.
    You'll need to dig out all the snow under your truck. You do not want any resistance against your truck as you start off, for the process below.

Next dig out a ramp behind you, in your tracks one truck length at minimum preferably upto two truck lengths. Add thicker branches/logs like railway ties every 1'. Weave branches between lengthwise like rails.
    Repack snow on top of that. Break the snow up well before shoveling it back on top of the branches, and pack it down with your shovel. Allow the ramp to setup for at least two hours. The snow will remake bonds, and harden. Do not take a shortcut in this process, you will only get one chance to get out, otherwise you will have to start all over again. After the snow has set, such that you can walk on top of it without breaking through, repack all your gear back into your truck, as once you start moving you are not going to stop again, unless you sink in again. Reverse, 4x4 Low, gradual application of throttle and out you go. The truck should stay in your previous tracks. Don't fight it. Your previous tracks should be well setup and continue out. Its a bit of hard work, but it does work. If you take shortcuts, cause you think its taking too long, or its hard, you will get stuck again.

Trust you have basics such as as shovel and saw, didn't read the whole thread.

Only try to turn around once you are back in less deep snow, or you are willing to repeat the process.

How do I know? - Done this for myself 3x, and helped others with the exact same method. Airing down will help as well.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  16. Apr 3, 2020 at 11:03 PM
    snowedin

snowedin [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma

That is great advice. The only way out for me was forward, which was uphill. Downhill was going to cause me to side further sidewise. I was not prepared for this adventure and I very thankful for those that were able to help out and those that were willing but unable. That would have been a ridiculous tow bill.

17. Apr 3, 2020 at 11:18 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Driving on top of snowmobile tracks? went off track, got sucked into the soft snow, the more you moved back and forth, the more it settled further down sideways into more soft snow?

wilcam47 likes this.
  18. Apr 3, 2020 at 11:52 PM
    JKO1998

JKO1998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 4.0 V6 4X4 Cement 18 3.5 V6 4x4
    I bet he was trying to bust snow drifts, I really doubt he made it very far in snow that deep, after it sitting in the sun and softening up all day.

wilcam47 likes this.
  19. Apr 4, 2020 at 12:03 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    You can drive a long ways on top of snowmobile tracks that are well set in spring snow.Suspect its freezing every night there.

20. Apr 4, 2020 at 12:42 AM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    I'm not sure if that specific road is popular with snowmobiles. I know there is a popular road/trail system just up the highway in Liberty that sees quite a bit of snowmobile use. Im sure there are people that do ride it, but there isn't a main parking lot that would accommodate more than a handful of rigs parking wise for that FS-RD. Probably locals that have land butting up against the NF. I can't see any snowmobile tracks in his picture so hard to say.

I'm familiar with what you're describing, I've ridden on snocat tracks after the season has ended and it's surprising how much they will hold you up especially aired down. Best time is at night when the surface has begun to harden again. Once the sun hits it, you're screwed.

Given how the weather was at my house this evening 60ish miles away, I'd bet it was right about freezing when he posted that picture. A northeastern facing slope, the sun sets fast and temps dip quick in that valley.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top