1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stuck swing arms

Discussion in 'Armor' started by captain_ahab, May 17, 2021.

1. May 17, 2021 at 8:18 PM
    captain_ahab

captain_ahab [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamison
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Hi all,

Hoping to get some advance on freeing up a dual swing (old) all pro rear bumper.
    For a little contex: I purchased the bumper off the forum a while ago for a screaming deal with the caveat that the swing arms didn’t swing. (Like it takes all of my 200+ lbs self to even budge them). If didn’t really dissuade me at the time but now I’d really like to have a functioning tailgate. I’m moving soon and would like full use of my bed.
    I’d love to have the functionality of the swing arms but also don’t really mind just taking them off for the time being. Only thing is I don’t really know where to start to take them off. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I’ve been applying PB Blaster to the under side of where the arms attach with no luck freeing them up even a little bit.
    Thanks in advance!

2. May 17, 2021 at 8:24 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
  3. May 17, 2021 at 8:25 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    You may have to remove the bumper, then remove the castellated nut, pull the arms and rebuild the spindles, or at least mitigate the corrosion and repack the bearings with grease.

Try Boe-Sheild T-9 spray I find it has much better penetrating and wicking properties over PB blaster, it's also a dry lube so it won't hold dust that will attract moisture and further your corrosion issue.

Super lube is also good stuff, silicone based so it won't attracts moisture but it is a wet lubricant (albeit rather thin) so it may hold some dirt and dust but not as bad as petroleum based lubricants and penetrants.

4. May 18, 2021 at 6:12 AM
    Bentrodder

Bentrodder PeeRunner Fanboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Cotati, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLBFTMFW TRD Sport
    Kings and a TW DECAL!!!
    Crazy! I just pulled my older All-Pro bumper off last night because it was hard to swing and the tire swingout felt loose. The bumper definitely has to come off to access the castle nut on the under side. Even then that nut is a bitch to get at. Once the nut is off, I worked the swingouts back and forth the best I could and whacked on them with a dead blow hammer. I was a little surprised to see that bronze bushings were used and not bearings. Mine is an early model and I think they changed this as mine looks different than the ones on the website now. Post a picture of what the spindle on the arm looks like. I slathered everything with anit-sieze and works much better but the tire swingout still has some play. Trying to come up with a way to be able to lubricate in place without have to remove the bumper.

5. May 18, 2021 at 6:17 PM
    captain_ahab

captain_ahab [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamison
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Thanks for the replies. Here are a few photos of where the arms attach to the bumper.
    7F0A3444-818B-4890-AE15-2C2684139767.jpg AE1179E7-ABC8-4984-97A2-47CAE1AF152B.jpg D273703F-D762-49FC-82FA-2DDD2E5B7D4D.jpg

6. May 18, 2021 at 7:25 PM
    Bentrodder

Bentrodder PeeRunner Fanboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Cotati, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLBFTMFW TRD Sport
    Kings and a TW DECAL!!!
    Yep. That’s the same as mine. It has bushings not bearings in there.

Products Discussed in

To Top