1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stumped....Auto or Manual?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LiquidFire, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sep 9, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    BlackRig

BlackRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5
    I had a 5 speed manual in my 06 and now have a 5 speed auto in my 09. I like them both.

I really like manuals and was nervous about going back to auto. But the taco auto trans is really nice (even though it's an 09 with odd shift patterns). Seems really strong and never gives me trouble. I would take either one.

Go drive them both. I think you'll be happy either way.

2. Sep 13, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    MRCapps

MRCapps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    M.R. Capps
    Arnold Land
    Like what problems??? I am only asking cause i couldnt find anything!

3. Sep 13, 2009 at 4:23 PM
    Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Bilstien 5100's up front, rear leaf TSB in back. FJ wheels painted black. ARE topper with Thule rack
    I had an '05 with a manual and currently have an '09 auto. Both D/C SB. The issues with the manual were the shifting wasn't as clean as it should be. I had to search a little bit sometimes. The clutch pedal squeaked every now and again. It didn't seem to have as much "get up and go" as the auto. Worse gas mileage. The auto has its drawbacks though too. It does lag sometimes and there is the slight movement of the driveshaft that seems to plague the Tacoma/FJ/4Runner. I bought the manual when I lived in the mtns and I loved it out there. I didn't really like it for city driving. It comes down to which you like more. Either way, it will get you need to go and should last a good while. Hope this helps somewhat.

4. Sep 13, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper

X2!! :p

[​IMG]

5. Sep 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM
    aaronk

aaronk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    I had a 6spd and traded it in for an automatic a year later.

I HIGHLY suggest you take the 6spd for a good long test drive. There's a lot of quirks that go along with it. There have been multiple threads on the topic. DON'T assume it's the same as the other Toyota manuals, I came from a 94 Pickup and didn't even test drive the auto because I loved my manual so much. Big mistake... my 94 pickup with over 175,000 miles shifted smoother than the 08, and I'm not exaggerating.

Since the trade-in I haven't looked back. Love the truck a lot more now that I've got the auto.

6. Sep 13, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    you can get the stick in longbed, where did you hear that from?

7. Sep 13, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I personally thought the 6spd flat out sucked. I've owned manuals my whole life (I'm 38) and it's the worst I've encountered. I actually really like the auto in these trucks. But that's purely opinion and something that's been discussed ad nauseum. Drive them both; only you can decide what's best for you.

8. Sep 14, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    AaronM

AaronM Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Red Double-cab SR5 LB
    On a doublecab longbed? No you can't. I tried. I cried (Ok, maybe not literally). The dealer even commented that a lot of people had complained of choosing auto over manual just to get the long bed. I even wrote to Toyota to ask about it, and they just said that there wasn't enough market for it.

Products Discussed in

To Top