1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stupid 4WD question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jaw154, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Oct 13, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    It's not a good idea to run on dry (or even wet) pavement for extended periods of time, but for the few miles/minutes Toyota recommends each month, it's more than fine. These vehicles are so much tougher than people think. My 1986 4Runner with part time 4wd would wind up from time to time on pavement or hardpack or even when the snow was a dry packed powder, but I never broke a thing, and my Tacoma doesn't come close to winding up as much ever.

2. Oct 13, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    everleet

everleet Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 TRD Off Road
    thanks to everyone for now making me paranoid of 4wh. what about snowy, paved roads?

3. Oct 13, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    If the road has snow on it, you are fine in 4wd (high or low) on pavement.

On dry pavement (or rainy-but-still-grippy-pavement) that you should be in 2wd, and nothing else.

4. Oct 14, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno

im sorry u are absolutely giving him miss information. you can not use 4x4 on DRY pavement. in order for 4x4 to operate safely the wheels need to be able to slip some. and it can not on dry pavement.

Just curious why would u need to put it in 4wd on pavement anyway???

5. Oct 14, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
  6. Oct 14, 2010 at 7:08 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non

Same here, I have used my 4x4 on pavement, but not 4lo. I would say to stay away from running your 4x4 on dry roads. I have never had to engage on dry pavement but on wet I have and snow of coarse. JOE>

7. Oct 14, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    You'd probably actually be better off putting it in 4lo than 4hi on dry pavement. The much higher torque would equate to more wheel slippage than drive line binding.

Either way, that's like saying shooting soda into your brain via a syringe is a better alternative to shooting draino into it.

8. May 1, 2011 at 6:07 PM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
    From Toyotas Website "4WD can be part-time (low traction conditions only) or full-time (may be used on dry roads)."

9. May 1, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    Dustyroades

Dustyroades Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    The owner's manual does not, to my knowledge, have any warning that using 4wd on dry pavement may cause damage. In addition, it recommends using 4wd once a month with no notice that you shouldn't do it on dry pavement.

I'm not saying using 4x4 on dry pavement is a good idea, just pointing out that those who say "read the manual" are not supporting their argument that it's a bad idea.

10. May 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    BenWA

BenWA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    I was just about to post the same exact thing! i.e., "Don't use 4wd on dry pavement unless your name is aswerty and you are trying to get to 105 in 12 seconds" :p

11. May 1, 2011 at 8:34 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
    Everyone should just put their truck in 4H on pavement, while stopped turn the wheel to full lock(left or right, your choice)... and nail the gas!

Edit: I claim no responsibility for any damages that do or do not occur as a result of proving that running 4wd on
    pavement will not damage your truck.

luk8272 likes this.
  12. May 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    I can't believe there is still discussion on this haha.

You know when you lock your diff and turn, the one tire slips and chirps? That is because the wheels need to spin at different speeds, but can't.

The EXACT same thing happens front to back. It is just a big fat chain engaging the front wheels. There can be no discussion on this. You are putting massive strain on your transfer case using 4wd anywhere the tires have a good grip and are unable to slip. Many people have smashed their cases right open doing this.

Anyone's crappy anecdotal evidence of this saying they do it and it's ok just haven't broken their truck yet. It is only a matter of time and turning enough with enough tire grip.

This is the final answer: DON'T DO IT. If you want to do it a bit going straight to keep stuff lubed, so be it, but NEVER turn.

This is simple physics guys, something has to give. There is no front to back differential. It will slip at the tires, or your tcase will explode.

http://rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/driveline-bind.html

Please any of you stupid enough to keep doing this, just keep quiet about it. Some poor guy is going to listen to you as if you know the first thing about mechanics, and wreck his own truck.

13. May 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lol at blowing up the transfer case... u joint wear... sure. Over a year on the Tacoma with 4x4 in the wet... will give annual updates .

14. May 1, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Remember the slick rock in moab stickier than concrete... that's why noone runs 4 wheel drive on moab slickrock... I love the internet theory guys that have never seen it happen in real life. Can you post me another link to refute my years of experience to the contrary?

15. May 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Agreed

16. May 2, 2011 at 12:39 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    You been to Moab?
    :rolleyes:

and yes chances are your transfer case won't catastrophically fail but it's quite possible. Something has got to give, and in most cases its going to be your tires slipping, especially on these "wet" surfaces.

17. May 2, 2011 at 4:49 AM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    X2. If you think 4WD on dry surfaces wont hurt your truck, then feel free to be our guest and do this ^ and please, record it! :D

18. May 2, 2011 at 5:14 AM

52419 Well-Known Member

Member:
    someplace
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma lifted 6in on 35s
    fabtech 6in lift, 35.12.50.16s,on mt classics
    im sorry but if you nedd 4wd to get threw a little rain .......................... come on nowdo you belong in a taco or a prius ?

19. May 2, 2011 at 7:14 AM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    DevL just check out the link in my post. Has pictures of what happens to a transfer case if the tires can't slip.

Agreed, usually the tires slip, but like you said, much more stress on the driveline, incl ujoint wear, spline wear, chain stretch, etc. But if your tires are too sticky, your transfer case fails. How exactly do you think it works when the front has to spin faster than the rear? Where do you believe the give happens?

20. May 2, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
    I just discovered this in my manual about using 4WD once a month and noticed the manual doesn't say "Don't drive on dry pavement". I'm not a newbie to 4WD vehicles, this is my sixth, two of which were AWD. I checked TW to see if anything was posted on the subject and found this thread. The only reason I resurrected this thread was because no one bothered to check the Toyota website for an answer. Which does say "Don't drive on dry pavement". I don't see why there's any arguement when Toyota say's don't do it.
    I never did that with my Chevy's, although my wife went on a cross country horse race driving support for a friend when the Chevy was new and forgot she had it in 4WD one morning and drove for 2hrs pulling her horse trailer on dry pavement before realizing it. I was a bit pissed when she told me but nothin' ever broke and we had that truck for 15yrs. The 90's Chevy models had the front geared slightly higher than the rear. States that in the manual. For me the requirement for 4WD once a month just means "honey, I need to go 4 wheelin', bye".

Products Discussed in

To Top