1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stupid 4WD question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jaw154, Sep 30, 2010.

1. May 2, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

Those are two different 4WD systems... The Tacoma is PART TIME only...
    FULL TIME is also called 'All Wheel Drive' (AWD) and includes a third differential that allows the front and rear drive shafts to rotate at different speeds (as they will do when turning). Part Time 4WD 'locks' the front and rear dive shaft together for equal power to the front and rear differential, not allowing for different rotation when making turns. This makes turning (speciall slow speed turning) difficult on hard surfaces... called 'binding' by some...

2. Oct 9, 2015 at 6:09 AM
    babylon5

babylon5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    Agree and understand 100% the issue with having no center diff and running in 4WD on dry pavement.

But its hard to understand the owners manual. 99% of my driving 8 months of the year is on dry pavement so how can they expect anyone to use it for 10 miles (to lubricate things) while simultanously saying not to use 4WD on dry pavement. Maybe they want us to take it to the dealer, have it up on the hoist and run it in 4H when the wheels are off the ground.....
    Is it just the actuators they want us to excersize? Then we could just turn it on, drive a couple of feet till it engages and turn it off.

Is the switch to from 2H to 4H back to 2H supposed to be silent. I did try this on my own street in a straight line for a distance of maybe 300 feet. I could hear and feel when it switched back to 2H. Nothing severe, just a muted click/clunk? Is this just the transfer case disengaging or the front axle?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  3. Oct 9, 2015 at 7:00 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I have had three 4WD Tacomas, and I am sure there were months I did not use 4WD for 10 miles... and there were some I used it for more... Nothing failed! Just when you think of it, on a straight road, flip it into H4 if you stay below 62 MPH. There is a definite "CLUNK" noise when coming out of 4WD and usually a lesser noise when going in... NORMAL! Try to do the engaging/ disengaging while driving straight and ease off the accelerator... less stress on the driveline.

4. Oct 9, 2015 at 8:00 AM
    babylon5

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, that was just what i wanted to hear. This is my first tacoma so was looking from the experience from the seasoned owners.

For the first time in my life there are now parking garages i cant enter and my old floor jack that I used to swap my summer/winter tires on my previous cars is now useless since even at full extension its not heigh enough :)

5. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:10 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Watch that low ceiling!
    Don't tire shops or gas stations in snow country change your tires cheap enough, like the same price as a rotation since all 4 tires are removed and replaced in a rotation?

6. Oct 9, 2015 at 5:53 PM
    babylon5

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    Probably but I had just gotten used to doing it myself. With my son helping me and my air impacts i could change all 4 in less than an hour. And when I put the weels back on i used a true torque wrench. I have seen some shops use air impact to install the nuts and had one shop actually stripped the threads of the stud. And a girl I know had her wheels done at a shop and when i checked thier work afterwords the nuts where on with more than 200 ft/lbs. If she ever had a flat no one could get those off with vehicle supplied tools,not to mention the possibilty that they may have even warped the rotor.

7. Oct 9, 2015 at 8:53 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    It's mentioned in my owners manual. Check out the Starting and Driving section under Tips for driving in various conditions. It says... "Four-wheel drive models-Toyota recommends not useing four-wheel drive on dry hard-surfaced roads" This is on page 305 of my 2007 manual.
    Really, they shouldn't even have to spell it out... it's common knowledge that you shouldn't (or ever have the need to) engage 4wd on dry pavement. Check page 8 and 9 of this link
    http://log.logcluster.org/response/fleet-management/LOG-2-8-FLEET MANAGEMENT-Guide to Four Wheel Driving - Toyota.pdf

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  8. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:49 PM
    tubesock

tubesock Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'll go ahead and post this so you can all read it for yourselves. Keep in mind that the suggestions in the owners manual are really only applicable to sissies and idiots.

upload_2015-10-10_17-40-14.jpg upload_2015-10-10_17-48-16.jpg

edit: this is from the 2015 manual.

NMTrailRider likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top