1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stupid question about wheelin with an automatic

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hiker, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Aug 12, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    Hiker

Hiker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    HotZona
    I've owned Toyota 4bys now for 28 years with my first being an 83'. I currently own a 99' and looking to buy a newer one, 06'-08' 4dr, long bed. Everyone I've ever owned was a stick shift, but I'm wanting to get an automatic mainly due to the type of work I do. Question is....when wheelin in an auto....especially in low range, do you leave it in D and pull it down to 2 or 3. Not sure if I would ever put it in 1 unless I was really climbing something narly. Thanks

2. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:00 PM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    imo - it dont matter where u put it. only limits the upshifts. if u leave it in D it will go through all the gears. If its in 2, then ull only use 1st n 2nd gear.

if u just have it in D its always gonna start out in 1st - in any gear will start out in 1st. cuz its 1st gear.

3. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:01 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR [[[[[[EXPOtrooper]]]]]] IG: xpotrpr

Member:
    First Name:
    Moose
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    SUPERCHARGED MID TRAVEL 2009 DCSB TRD O/R 4X4 AUTO
    CHECK BUILD
    I just leave mine in drive. Either 4hi or 4lo gets the job done.

4. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The shifter limits the gear that the truck will shift up to .

If you stick it in 3 , it will shift through L , 2 , and 3 , but not use 4 or D

If you want to limit the truck to low gears , just shift it there

5. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Salt Lake City, UT/Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Off Road Access Cab, 6 speed
    OME lift, 886 coils, Dakars w/AAL ARB front bumper Leer 180CC cap etc etc
    I drive a manual, but I'm positive I would use 1st in 4-low if I had an automatic tranny.... But that's because I take the truck places where low and slow is the predominant mantra.

I know many people who wheel with auto's, and they are hesitant to engage 4 low... they struggle, and beat up their truck.

Bottom line, use all the gears provided if the situation requires it.

6. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I use 4LO when I need to decend steep hills covered in snow , choose a low gear , give it some throttle and drive down , no brakes

7. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    i go as fast as i can. i use 4lo only if when i get stuck lol

8. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    8 inch alcan custom leaf packs, ome 885's powdercoated white, bilstein 5100's all the way around with 12 inch travel on the rear, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Sway bar removed, 17x9 kmc strike. 35x12.50 nitto Trail Grapplers. Satoshi Grill made by (homertaco), Black Headlight housings,retrofits, Tinted Tailights, color matched grill, Bought a TRD sport hood,elite off road front plate bumper,elite off road sliders, 13% tint on the front windows, 5% on top of the facotry rear windows and back glass, 5% tint stip across the windshield, Lo Pro Truxedo tonneu cover, Herculiner bed liner, Weather Tech Window Visors, Exhaust- Flowmaster Super 44 dumped above rear axle, Maglight Mount on side of drivers seat, Scangauge II, Mossy Oak Camo Seat Covers, Weather Tech Floor mats, Spatter painted A-Pillars, Spatter painted headunit trim and shifter trim, Headunit= Pioneer 4300 double din touch screen, Speakers- Precision Power 3 way component stage, Precision Power 8 i
    so tonight i actually got to use my truck to its full limits i was doing some pretty gnarly climbs and the last one i did was nuthing but loose rock and dirt so i had it in 4lo diff lock in and a-trac engaged this was the first time i used a-trac and man it is wicked i would sit and spin for a second then keep climbing i am going to try and go do it again 2morrow and get a video of it

edit also i have an auto and i was in lo gear

9. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:16 PM
    JayARRGHH

JayARRGHH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bellingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    285/75/R16 Eldarado MTZ, Alpine CDE-102 Deck, DIY Snorkel, 2" Spacer Lift, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB, Custom over head console w/ map lights, CB Mount, and external CB speaker, 2 12" Kenwood Subwoofers, 300 Watt Alpine Amp, Alpine 3" lift 500# capacity
    It depends, i usually use it in D when i neevd 4hi/lo i use it, but it depends on the situation, like going up sandy hills, keeping it in D will allow you to get to a certain point, then when the gear shifts you have that huge power loss so you'll then get stuck on the way up.

10. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

Actually, A-TRAC only works if you lose traction.. and if that happens your speed is naturally pretty close to zero.

Try not using the rear locker at all... just A-TRAC. This is Toyota's recommendation (only use the rear locker to get unstuck).

After driving rear locker Tacomas for 10 years, I have found the A-TRAC an amazing system and have used it only in all the places that required the rear locker before.

11. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM
    David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Hi Hiker... In low range, all your tranny gears are way low, and different from each other as they are in high range... So, drop below D if you need to limit your downhill speed with engine compression... for crawling, etc. Just try it and you will see!

12. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:33 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR [[[[[[EXPOtrooper]]]]]] IG: xpotrpr

Member:
    First Name:
    Moose
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    SUPERCHARGED MID TRAVEL 2009 DCSB TRD O/R 4X4 AUTO
    CHECK BUILD
    Really? We went through some pretty tough trails a couple weeks ago. Some technical spots with large rocks, ditch's, etc.. I used 4lo and the locker and it just climbed up EVERYTHING with ease.

13. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:34 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    I never use 4lo

14. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM
    David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

A-TRAC, when turned on, is in standby mode except when a wheel spins loose... rear locked or not.

If the driver has gotten stuck and engages the rear locker (perhaps because he didn't push the A-TRAC button when he went into L4), the A-TRAC is active until he gets moving... and yes, above 3 mph (while the rear is locked) it won't do anything... but it doesn't do antything anyway except if you start slipping.

Really, really you with A-TRAC should get out more and have some fun... see if you can get stuck.

With only one tire on solid ground, A-TRAC can pull your truck free... even if facing uphill and the one tire is a front tire.

15. Aug 13, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

Maybe instead of telling others what to do, get a hobby?

For general interest, not just for Christian:

A-TRAC doesn't function when you are driving along at any speed... it works when you stop moving because one tire on each axle looses traction... it brakes that loose tire to a point where enough torque/ power transfers to the traction tire to move you ahead... in essance matches tire rotation/ equalizing torque to both... as a locker also does.

Because your differentials are open, there is never any stress on the driveline using A-TRAC and steering is not affected as it is with lockers.

A-TRAC works on all 4 tires... but if you locked the rear differential, it can only help you on the front axle... If your speed goes above 3 MPH the computer stops monitoring wheel spin on the front tires (A-TRAC deactivated).

My point to Christian, is in reality A-TRAC really doesn't do anything until you start to get stuck with wheel spin... so your speed is going to be near zero... likely less than 4 mph... even with the rear un-locked.

Try A-TRAC instead of the locker in places where you needed the locker before or in places your previous, non-locker 4WD couldn't go.

The main thing is to HAVE FUN 4 WHEELING!

16. Aug 13, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    Hiker

Hiker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    HotZona
    Well....this post sure took a 180 turn. Thanks for all the replies. I have no problem keeping it in 4H while wheelin around in the light stuff, but when I get into something really hairy, I'd hate for the tranny to go back and forth all the time. Seems like it would make sense to just run it in 2 or 3 at low speed in sand or mud runs and maybe 1 for climbing something shit. Seems odd leaving it in drive when out wheelin thru the rough stuff. Anyone ever run a manual valve body? Should be interesting when I get it. Hopefully by years end. I want to pay cash so I'm dropping 2-3 grand in saving every month. Should have enough by Dec, maybe Jan. Looking for a black crew cab, long bed, 05' -08'. You'll be seeing more of me on here. Thanks again...

17. Aug 13, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot, Just Depends

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Clemson,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    dang. that post turned into a shit slinging contest. o_o idk who won though.

to the OP: i hope you found what you were looking for. :)

18. Aug 13, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I am happy he is going to ignore me, as it seems that no matter how friendly one tries to be, some folks prefer to be combative.. then tell you what you can say. Sorry for the distraction Hiker! Have a great day!

19. Aug 13, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    The OP is looking for a dc long box

ATrac shouldn't have even come up in this thread .

20. Aug 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I'm not pointing fingers , just stating a fact that ATRAC is irrelivant in this discussion because the OP wants an 05-08 dc longbed

To Top