1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stupid, stupid mistake....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bt08231, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    bt08231

bt08231 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey SR5
    Stock
    So the end of this month will be a year since I bought my truck. Ive worked diligently to keep my truck in excellent shape beings that its brand new and was expensive as hell obviously. So basically in one afternoon I managed to scratch every single panel on the truck waxing it. Either the towel i chose to use was dirty or simply to course but if you look very closely at the truck you can see very very light scratching that wasn't there before the waxing. Do any of you have experience with this or know how i can fix the damage. It is very light and definitely just in the clearcoat, its barely noticeable, I am sure im just being anal about a new vehicle. Any input is appreciated

2. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    EricT

EricT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    I'm a new guy to this, but I had a similar scratch on my door - a little rubbing compound followed by waxing the area and I can't find it anymore.

3. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    That sucks hopefully you can use some touch up paint on some of the scratches. Sometimes when if wax my truck I miss spots (buffing) and they look like scratches but its just wax

4. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    depending how deep the scratches are you maybe able to buff them out...

picture will help...

5. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    bt08231

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey SR5
    Stock
    Its scratches so light you can barely see them, i mean i have to kneel down next to the panel and look at the panel at a certain angle to the light just to see them. If you have ever looked at a car panel at a certain angle and seen many circular scratchs almost like spider webs if that gives you an idea. I know its just on the clear coat and just hate the way it looks and it bothers the hell out of me. I may try a scratch and swirl remover, i may just not care and say f it.

6. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    bt08231

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey SR5
    Stock
    They are so light i bet you wouldnt see them in a picture, i basically just can't believe I did something this stupid lol

7. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    smallcandle

smallcandle The clown has no penis...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    South-central Kansas
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD SR5 4X4
    Deck plate mod, Maglite console mount, Husky Liners front and back, Black powder coated OEM rims, BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's 265/75/16, Grillcraft MX black insert, Hella 500FF mounted behind grill
    I've found that a damp micro fiber towel and polishing compound can work wonders on scratches. Do one section at a time and don't use too much pressure while applying. Let dry and buff off with a dry micro fiber towel or soft diaper. Don't worry, from what you're describing you shouldn't have too much trouble getting those scratches out of there. Good luck!

8. Oct 15, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    bao523

bao523 Active Member

Member:
    houston, tx
    Vehicle:
    08 trd offroad double cab
    weather tech window visors, skid plate, roll bak bed cover, step bars, 18" rims
    i had a dark color car before and after about 3-4 years i noticed swirl marks all over the car. it looked like what you described really light scracthes all over. they have a product at autozone called swirl remover. you apply it just like wax and it took most of it off.

9. Oct 15, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    CometKat

CometKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4 Regular Cab SR5
    If you are just talking about light scratching on the clear coat that can only be seen at the perfect angle then there is nothing to be done. Every one of our trucks will have this. If you try to fix it by buffing or whatever you’ll probably make it worse.

10. Oct 15, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    That's more of an honest mistake than a stupid mistake. THIS is a stupid mistake:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/33318-halp.html

I figure I'd help give you some perspective on how bad things *could* be. Older thread but worth the read if you need a laugh. ;)

11. Oct 15, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Man that sucks, try the McGuire's three step process. Wash and then;

• Paint cleaner
    • Paint polish
    • Wax
    However, if it was me I would wash, clay bar the entire truck and then:

• Paint cleaner
    • Paint polish
    • NXT 2.0 wax
    When I bought my truck used it had some scratches and swirl marks on it. And the dealership used stupid Butlers wax and gummed everything up.

If you need some more help, i have a system how I wash and clean my trucks pain. If you want I can give you some pointers that have helped me.

12. Oct 15, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    I have the same color truck and have gotten out some rub marks and scratches that I thought would never come out. I use 3m polishing compound with micro-fiber towels and some light pressure. Make sure you use new or clean towels. If you wash micro-fiber towels wash them by themselves with no bleach or fabric softner. Also mothers clay bar and Showtime instant detailer work great. And always wax the truck after compounding or clay bar cus that stuff takes all the wax off.

13. Oct 15, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I live in a hot environment, AZ and the truck sits out side most of the time, and synthetic waxs holds up better out here. But if I could I would use carnuba in a heart beat!

14. Oct 15, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    If its a deep scratch and its only in the clear coat I would either buff it or wet sand the area

15. Oct 15, 2009 at 10:07 AM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro

...There are plenty of products out there that get rid of swirl marks very easily.

16. Oct 15, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    timmaayyy

timmaayyy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DC
    check out meguiars forum on their website. everything you need to know from restoring to upkeep. and dont be afraid to invest some $ in to the right "tools" as it will pay off. the swirl marks should come out pretty easily with the right products and some elbow grease.

17. Oct 15, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    lakerfan

lakerfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Castaic,CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAB PRERUNNER SPORT,Mag Grey.
    Sway away 2.5 coilovers, Maxtrac spindles, Dakar rear leafs, 18x9 Moto metals.
    Use 3M imperial hand glaze.It will take the scratches out and smooth out the painted surface without hurting the clear coat.

18. Oct 15, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    if its not past the clear coat

http://www.3dproducts.com/high-definition.aspx

id recommend u buy the hd uno... i use it myself when i detail cars and on my own...unless its passed the clear coat ur ok

Products Discussed in

To Top