1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stupid Truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KodiakToyTRD, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Nov 21, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Alright so I'm a little angry at my Taco and Toyota in general...

Just changed my oil, Fram Tough Guard and Mobil 1. Why the F*CK is the oil filter on the top of the motor!? That's total BS because here I am with my rag wrapped all around the filter and under neath it ready to catch what ever leaks out and bam, it freaking caught nothing. Now I have oil all over my AC pump, my skid plate, and other components that aren't supposed to have oil on them! And worst of all..my AC pump no has a squeal at anything other then idle. Always always always whenever I work on this damn truck, something else goes wrong.

***Rant over***

Am I totally screwed with the AC pump or is there a way I can wash it, clean it out, or do I have to get my coolant removed and replace the pump? Have any of you had this issue with your oil changes? How do you get around the shit leaking from the hugely misplaced filter??

2. Nov 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    blue02r1

blue02r1 tom

Member:
    First Name:
    tom
    pennsylvainia
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd timberland green
    toyota hood protector, AVS vent shades, Toyota Bed Mat, TRD Catback Exhaust , K&N Intake, Tacoma Bedmat, Weathertech Mats, Extang Tuff Toneau ,Foglight Mod.
    just changed my oil i think the set up is the best i've seen in my 47 years.easy and no mess oil catch caught everything no mess clean as could be. you should be alright clean it as best you can.... good luck..

3. Nov 21, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    I love the spot you guys are nuts.......i got no oil anywhere when i did mine because the truck was sitting for a few days.......oh i change my oil once a year

4. Nov 21, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    No offense but:

You're doing it wrong.

See that little lip with the hole in the bottom of it on the filter mount? That will allow you to have a spill-free oil change. Some people run tubing from that hole to their oil catch pan, I just hold an empty bottle under it. Unscrew the filter until oil starts to trickle down through that mount, and just let it trickle until empty.

Then go on about the rest of the change.

Read here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/11201-ultimate-oil-change-thread.html

5. Nov 21, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    And hold a empty bottle under it next time

6. Nov 21, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Just not a big fan of the filter upside down on top my motor.....for reasons such as this. I also noticed there is a little hose nipple on the bottom of the catch below the filter...is that supposed to be plugged or have a hose on it?

7. Nov 21, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    blue02r1

blue02r1 tom

Member:
    First Name:
    tom
    pennsylvainia
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd timberland green
    toyota hood protector, AVS vent shades, Toyota Bed Mat, TRD Catback Exhaust , K&N Intake, Tacoma Bedmat, Weathertech Mats, Extang Tuff Toneau ,Foglight Mod.
    x 2 best idea i ever saw...

8. Nov 21, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Well I guess I learn by experience and mistake. Tube or bottle next time around...in the mean time, I still have a damn squeak to get rid of.

9. Nov 21, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    agreed, this is by FAR the best oil filter setup. My Matrix with the filter in a "traditional" location is much more of a PITA to do an OC on.

10. Nov 21, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Don;t know about the anti drain back valve...mine sure has hell spilled out. But I think I've learned so, onto the squeak...ideas?

11. Nov 21, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    This post is funny. You should have come here first and read up a bit and not assumed you actually knew how to do it. Bet next time is a charm.

12. Nov 21, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Well lets just say I know what I'm doing when it comes to cars, and things like changing oil...I just didn't know certain things were the way they were on our Tacoma's, and I saw the hole in the catch and did what I had in mind would work to wipe up the oil, obviously Toyota engineers are smarter then me (go figure:rolleyes:). If I didn't know how to do it, I would have taken it to the auto shop in town and paid someone else to work on my truck, not gonna happen.

BTW I did my brakes too, no issues.

Again we are :deadhorse: with the oil catch issue, its not gonna happen again lol. But I do want to know about my AC compressor, so ideas on that are welcomed.

13. Nov 21, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    x2 i use a metal coffe can

14. Nov 21, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    There is actually a lot of little differences and if you don't kind of read up a bit there is a lot of disaster traps waiting to catch you off guard. Everything has been thought out in great detail and has a process for success but they are slightly different from the big three trucks. Best to read up on the process before you attempt things. Going to save you a ton of grief.

Now the AC I'd clean the hell out of it with something powerful like Brake Clean. If you got oil on the belt you might have screwed it up and it could be now slipping. See a simple job is now a nightmare cause of not following the process. Be warned there is traps all over this truck if you are not careful. If you know how to do it it's easy but guessing gets you in trouble.

One trap you see all the time here is breaking bolts off. There is a ton of fine thread bolts on this truck. Best to clean the threads before you attempt to take them apart and clean them with a wire brush. Once a bit of dirt or rust gets in those threads taking it apart it will be as good as welded. No lube it's going to snap.

This is my pet peeves at work. You worked on a working machine and now it broken. Can't blame the truck for that. If it was working perfectly before it should be working perfectly when you are done.

A little research will save you. Oil changes is in the manual that comes with the truck. Granted you may not have that book but that why this site is here.

15. Nov 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I'm not gonna call myself a mechanic but I know my way around cars. I've rebuilt, them both wrecked and burned, I've done major aftermarket modifications to them such as lowering floors and raising roofs for disabled people. I've made a kit car from the ground up with a nothing work with except the frame and the kit. Unforseen things happen in the day to day life of working on cars...that is what happened here. I know a few tricks about stuff but, lol you learn something new everyday right? :cool:

I tried the Brake Clean but didn't wanna spray too much on there not really knowing what it would do to the belt. Its dark right now so, not really too much I can do at this point.

16. Nov 21, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SD, CA Now in Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco 4x4 TRD OffRoad Rugged Trail
    SAW 2.0s, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, On Board Air, 255/85/16 Cooper Discover S/T, CBI Sliders, Built right UCAs, 6" Harbor Freight Lights (converted to HIDs), KC Slim Lights.
    Not stupid truck, Stupid owner. :D

I did the same thing (almost) when I first did my oil change, I drained oil, pulled off filter and the oil from filter went every where. But I guess i was lucky that it only went to the skid plate and not every where else.

17. Nov 21, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Help a brother out boys , he knows he blew it on the filter . What about his AC pump .

Any help out there ?

18. Nov 21, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    True story:amen:

Trust me I've been :smack: myself all evening over this.

19. Nov 21, 2010 at 9:25 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SD, CA Now in Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco 4x4 TRD OffRoad Rugged Trail
    SAW 2.0s, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, On Board Air, 255/85/16 Cooper Discover S/T, CBI Sliders, Built right UCAs, 6" Harbor Freight Lights (converted to HIDs), KC Slim Lights.
    I also blew my CV boot cause I didn't think the sway bar would hit it whit only one side disconnected.

Don't feel too bad about it, I'm sure no real harm was done to your AC compressor. It probably just needs the oil cleaned off of it.

20. Nov 21, 2010 at 9:25 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    You put a new squash washer in too correct?

I mostly work on stuff I've never seen before in my life. Sure is nice if I have worked on it before and know all the little tricks but there is just to much different equipment out in the market place now. I always read a bit first. At least you know what your up against.

You need a solvent of some sort to remove the oil from the belt. Brake clean sure is not going to do it any good. If it was synthetic oil it's almost going to be impossible to remove. Something like Hot Shot might work better on the belt. It's a water soluble solvent. We use it on heavy equipment in odd places like that. Even a engine wash type product may work. Brake clean will dry out rubber. It will work perfectly on the metal though.

To Top