1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stupid YouTube! LCA Bushings

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by zero4, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Aug 8, 2022 at 2:58 PM
    zero4

zero4 [OP] Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    That makes sense. Yeah they did go in pretty easily. I felt like they should've been a little tighter. After the first one I did have second thoughts. Grabbed it with pliers & it didn't spin so I just went with it. I think they should be fine but I'll go ahead & wipe em off just to be safe. Thanks for saying something.

What about the cam sleeves & bolts (just the shanks, not the threads)? Those were the only things I originally planned on giving a light coat.

2. Aug 8, 2022 at 3:07 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    Light coat is good on those. Too much and you'll have trouble holding an alignment.

zero4[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 8, 2022 at 3:13 PM
    zero4

zero4 [OP] Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Ok cool. I'll see how bad they look when I take em off. If mine don't have much rust maybe I'll just use Boeshield T-9 instead.

4. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:42 AM
    Av180r

Av180r Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Man I've been avoiding this exact job for the same reasons you were lol..
    I replaced my front differential support arm bushings recently, and getting those old bushings out was a total pain in the ass. Also pretty nasty smoke and fumes if you use heat to get them out (I had to)

I thought about replacing the whole LCA's aftee that, but it seems silly when those bushings are so cheap. Ugh.

zero4[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 9, 2022 at 4:20 PM
    alexh

alexh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD
    You can install the Whitelines by resting the LCA opening on a partially opened vise and use large adjustable pliers set onto the metal flange of the Whitelines, then tap them in with a hammer, being careful near the end that you vise is open enough so bushing has room to exit.

I did this working alone so really not hard at all.

With regards to OEM bushing removal I think soaking them overnight with penetrating oil will help if you have time. I had minimal rust so I pretty much just popped them out with a cold chisel hitting on the flange but one did give me a hard time. I did not soak them but on that last one I tried it and it seemed to help.

Lots of ways to skin this cat just depends on what tools you have available. I did not want to buy any tools specific to this job because expense will reach cost of new LCA quick.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top