1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sub Rattle On Outside - Back Of Cab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by IrishPilot, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Mar 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Im all sound deadened and stereo equipped up. Simply awesome. The only rattle I have is outside on the back of the drivers side cab (double cab). I cant hear it inside, but outside its your standard sub-rattle. I BXT II'd and ensolited behind the sub hoping that would fix it...but no dice.

Id like to eliminate it so I dont sound like a jackass coming down the street. I do have BXT II left over. Has anyone else had this rattle and did you do anything to fix it?

Beau_Galatas likes this.
  2. Mar 8, 2010 at 5:34 AM
    rscecil007

rscecil007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Goodyear Duratracs 265/70R17's, Bed mat & extra d-rings, Weathertech floor liners, Husky Liner for rear seat area, Biceman Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Pioneer 800 PRS, Hybrid Audio L6 and L1V2, JL 13TW5 in a Mr. Marv box, JL HD900/5
    Do double cabs have that air pressure vent thing, so that when you shut the doors you don't bust your eardrums? I know the access cabs have it, and I thought the double cabs had it, b/c I was thinking I read a thread where a guy was talking about putting raamat over it and others told him it was a bad idea...

Anyway, my access cab has it, right smack in the middle of the back wall mid way up. And it rattles/farts like crazy at certain frequencies when the sub kicks. I can clearly hear it on the outside of the truck. I've rammat'd the whole truck too, but haven't taken the back wall off again yet to see if there is anything I can do. I didn't cover my vent up, but maybe i can add more ensolite or something.

Might be worth checking on yours...

3. Mar 8, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    hrm...not familiar with that, Ill have to have a look. Dont know that I would mess with it if I had it though.

4. Mar 8, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    rscecil007

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Goodyear Duratracs 265/70R17's, Bed mat & extra d-rings, Weathertech floor liners, Husky Liner for rear seat area, Biceman Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Pioneer 800 PRS, Hybrid Audio L6 and L1V2, JL 13TW5 in a Mr. Marv box, JL HD900/5
    Me either. When I get time I just plan on pulling the back wall panel off and playing the sub and try to figure out what's going on and what might can be done to mitigate or tame the rattling.

5. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Mine does the same thing. I have sound deadened the entire back wall and put some stick on foam to dampen the plastic trim. I can only hear it from the outside of the vehicle.

6. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    rscecil007

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:

Do you mean the plastic trim of the back wall, or something else?

7. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Yeah. I trimmed the cubby and kept just the surround so its a little flimsy.

8. Mar 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    Octane151

Octane151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    Bilstein 5100 3" lift, Viper SmartStart, Pioneer AVIC-Z140, XM, Licence plate cam, PAC steering wheel control, ID XS65's, ID CTX65's, IDQ10 D4v3, Alpine PDX-4.100, Alpine PDX-1.600, Custom amp board and sub box, 3M Tint, step bars, BHLM Projector coversion w/ 5Ks, Redline hood struts, Weathertech Digital floor mats, hardshell bed cover
    Don't feel alone... if you look at my build, I dampened the entire back wall, stuck crate foam behind the sub box and in all the loose areas behind the panels... and I can still hear that rattle from outside behind the rear wall. I didn't know it was there until I stepped outside the truck with some good bass pumping. It's not tooooo bad, but I can hear it, and that's bad enough. Don't want to rip everything out if I don't have to... everything is wedged in nice and tight, and I still have that little rattle. :mad:

9. Mar 9, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    rscecil007

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    What I'm just wondering if there isn't a flap type mechanism in these sound pressure port vent things, and maybe there is too much play in the flap.

So maybe we could "stiffen" up the flap a bit or something, or somehow add a bit more resistance to it, so it wouldn't rattle as much, but would still function as designed.

Does that make any sense?

Its very distracting and makes the bass instantly locatable, and especially sucks if you are trying to get your bass way up front and sounding like it's coming from your hood.

10. Oct 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    ryrydtl

ryrydtl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Cailifornia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Pro
    I have the same f'in problem. I have a 4dr with a groundshaker box with 2 10"s. The little vent was making alot of the rattle, i reached my hand in and pulled the little rubber flaps out. I couldn't get the the two top flaps so i suck a tube of plumbing gap filler and filled the hole a little to keep the top flaps closed. I even went to the extent to bolt my box to the back of my truck.

11. Oct 28, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    It sounds like what you all are describing is indeed the cabin pressure relief vent. I have an access cab and about a year ago when I was deadening the entire vehicle, I removed the vent from my rear wall and sealed up the hole that remained. Since then, I can't say that I've missed having that vent. It's a rare occasion if I ever notice any kind of pressure when shutting my doors, and it is certainly worth it. Those vents can be the source of annoying rattles like the ones you guys are describing, and an awful lot of road noise. Just remove them.

12. Nov 4, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    FWIW Rick, at Raamaudio, highly recommends not covering those vents up. At least in my first gen.

Products Discussed in

To Top