Suburu Outback Wilderness vs 4Runner TRD

Discussion in '4Runners' started by UMC, May 13, 2024.

1. May 13, 2024 at 11:57 AM
    UMC

UMC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Fork of the American river.
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    345's & rear locker
    I own a Tacoma that I use most for offraoding but I bought an Outback Wilderness edition in 22 and really like it on the road, snow and some dirt roads. I put 60k mi on it and had no issues. I recently totaled it so now I am considering getting a new one or maybe a 4Runner. The Outback did a great job in the crash. I walked away with bruises and whiplash. Someone pulled out right in front of me with no time to stop. I was going 55 mph. So I am pleased to not be more injured or dead.
    I know you guys are probably biased towards the 4Runner but when I compare the two they have many similar traits such as ground clearance, horsepower and available room inside. The wilderness gets better mpg but they seem to be similar in price at about $44,500 however I do see the TRD going for more than that.

They have many differences as well. I would like to put 250k+ miles on my next vehicle. Toyota has the better reputation there but there are some Subarus that are going over 300k mi. What do you think?

Subaru Outback Wilderness ground clearance 9.5 in. 4Runner 9.6 in

Outback horsepower 260. 4runner 270.

Outback mpg 22-26. 4Runner 16-19

Edit: while these two vehicles have many different qualities the goal of my post is to compare a new 4Runner to a new Outback wilderness model only. Also looking to compare them for primary use on pavement, snow and some dirt roads

Pic of my car.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2024
  2. May 13, 2024 at 12:01 PM
    2Toyotas

2Toyotas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco SR5 AC
    How much space comparison?
    Sleep in the back?

3. May 13, 2024 at 12:02 PM
    UMC

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    345's & rear locker
    4Runner has more room but yes you can sleep in the back.

4. May 13, 2024 at 12:10 PM
    jwctaco

jwctaco Retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    23’ T4R
    We were in the same boat, have a Crosstrek, really like the Wilderness, went with the T4R. Lousy gas mileage, better towing. If I could only have one, Wilderness.

UMC[OP] likes this.
  5. May 13, 2024 at 1:43 PM
    2Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco SR5 AC
    Crosstrek. We had one.
    Two early teenage grandsons got in the backseats. LOL!!! They were not even fully grown. It was a joke getting them in there.

We replaced it with the 4Runner 2 1/2 years ago.

6. May 13, 2024 at 1:55 PM
    Off Topic Guy

Off Topic Guy 2023 Trophy Points - Runner Up

Member:
    Honestly, I don't personally think the 2 vehicles should even share the same category. And thats not a knock towards a specific one of them, they're just so different in nearly every way. Considering you have a tacoma already, I probably wouldn't be too caught up in all the categories the 4runner wipes the floor with the subie in, and the subie sounds like it has served you well in the past already. BUT, the "want it to last 250k+ miles" seems to throw a wrench into that. In all honesty, the 4runner holds value better, excels in nearly every area except gas mileage and arguably safety, but the outback still isn't exactly a horrible choice.. I can see why you're struggling with this decision. I'd personally go for the 4runner, for reliability, maintenance costs, and resale value, and kiss my mpgs goodbye.

2ndhandTacoman, Roody and jwctaco like this.
  7. May 13, 2024 at 1:58 PM
    2Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco SR5 AC
    When shopping for the crosstrek replacement we got into the back seats.

Weve had 8 subarus over the years. Toyota now, only.

8. May 13, 2024 at 2:05 PM
    HuskerTrucker

HuskerTrucker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    O,NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB
    Turned it into a 2023 SR5P 4Runner
    I have a 20 Outback(pre-Wilderness though, ours is a Touring and 23 4R. Some of my Outback issues may have been fixed in newer models, but in my opinion:
    The 14in touchscreen and all the systems it controls in the Outback sucks. Not to mention the operating system itself sucks and doesnt like working after multiple short trips.
    Still having most functions w actual buttons in the 4R rules.

The seating position as far as view of the road is better in the 4R. Actual seat comfort is WAY better in the Outback.

For doing "truck" stuff offroad I prefer the 4R every time. For "wagon" stuff on pavement the Outback is better.

Having never driven one, and what I think is terrible looking black plastic nonsense aside, I bet if the chips were down the Wilderness would check enough boxes to beat out my 4R if we could only have 1

UMC[OP] likes this.
  9. May 13, 2024 at 2:28 PM
    czukie

czukie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 Tacoma Access Cab
    I would be far more confident in the 4Runner getting 250k+ than the Outback, but the MPG’s on a day-to-day basis sure sounds nice.

Airborne, UMC[OP], Roody and 2 others like this.
  10. May 13, 2024 at 2:35 PM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    Both are good vehicles that are unique in their own categories. I would say analyze what you prioritize most. I've driven both the Outback XT and a family owned 2016 4Runner, which they traded for a '22 Forester after putting 210K trouble-free miles on the Toyota. The Outback is impressively smooth and surprisingly quick and possibly the vehicle I would rather have for commuting. The 4Runner is a beast though, and just feels like a solid machine all around and you cannot beat how reliable it is.

4Runner Pros:
    Excellent Reliability
    Made in Japan
    Much better in off-road scenarios
    Optional 3rd row
    Truly rugged machine
    One of the best every day vehicles for retaining value (if not #1)

4Runners Cons:
    Handles like a boat if you live in an area with curvy roads, bad nose dive under braking and bad body roll
    Guzzles gas as if there were a big V8 under the hood
    It feels dated (which in a way could be a perk to some)
    Kinda firm seating

Outback Pros:
    Great Safety
    Quick acceleration
    Better MPG
    Better on-road handling
    Better comfort
    The AWD system and ground clearance make it great in the snow or for mild offroading
    CVT is smooth for putting around/commuting

Outback Cons:
    It is as good as it gets for a unibody crossover offroad, but it cannot do as much as a body on frame SUV
    Lower towing rating (by 1500 lbs?)
    Long term reliability while maybe not bad, just cannot compete with a 4Runner
    CVT is not as good for regular towing or challenging low speed off roading
    Direct injection only, so carbon buildup happens. My Subaru has never had the valves cleaned and runs decently well at 105K

UMC[OP], Roody and czukie like this.
  11. May 13, 2024 at 2:38 PM
    Captain4x4

Captain4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Vehicle:
    Ye Olde '07 O/R M/T
    If you aren't planning on towing more than 3k and not reselling, get the Subaru.
    I have owned two Foresters, an '01 and 03. Had excellent luck with them in Maine. Traction was never an issue and the 5-speed is fun.

UMC[OP] likes this.
  12. May 13, 2024 at 10:56 PM
    UMC

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    345's & rear locker
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I test drove a TRD sport and pro today. Compared to the Wilderness Edition I was not impressed with the power output when stepping on the gas pedal. It was a very noticeable lack in power comparedto the Wilderness. When it comes to driving around curvy roads I felt like the Wilderness handled these turns better than the 4Runner. The Wilderness Edition is a newer vehicle so if you drive another Subaru other than a WRX the Wilderness has much more power. The Wilderness has a 2.4 l Turbo so maybe when 4Runner gets a turbo it will have more pep in its step.

taco terror likes this.
  13. May 13, 2024 at 11:00 PM
    Just_A_Guy

Just_A_Guy I miss snow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    A truck
    This is Toyota forum, but I will not go all fan boy on you.

Sounds to me like the Outback fits your needs. Already have a Tacoma for off-roading. The Subaru is a safe vehicle, previous one took care of you. Gets decent mpg’s, plenty of space. Why not buy another?

The 4Runner is like driving a refrigerator. No matter how many times I tried to get behind it, just never could.

14. May 14, 2024 at 12:09 AM
    Eatpocky

Eatpocky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    23' TRDOR DCSB 6MT
    Honestly, the outback is probably more than enough for most 4runner owners out there. Much better MPGs, handling, comfort for daily driving. AWD system that kicks the Toyota's 4x4 system's a$$ in most conditions (dry, rain and snow). Similar amount of space for weekend trips. More than enough ground clearance for majority of weekend camp trips and hitting fire roads.

HuskerTrucker likes this.
  15. May 14, 2024 at 12:17 AM
    Airborne

Airborne Well-Known Member

Member:
    Catskills, ny
    Vehicle:
    2014,4 runner trail edition
    I Have a 2014 4 runner , wife has 2014 forester, son has 2018 crosstrek…….all dependable
    4 runner bullit proof and built for offroad lifestyle, flawless
    Subarus, have the look, dependable on the pavements, inside controls suck, comfort alright ,the 4 runner is just more roomy
    The subarus may have the great performance in snow i agree , once start being challenged with simple day to day off pavement, they will wear out quickly, bearings in wheels, and everything suspenion wise, i live a mile off pavement in woods , its fine for the 4 runner however over time the subbies just arent built to hold up to this , great on pavements, snow storms. Normal driving a mile in and out of woods day in and day out ,they wearout
    I dont care what the commercials show, or the attractive packages subaru claims on the cars, they are overated , great commercials with dogs, and safty claims , but your going to replace a lot of parts ………..incidently wife will be buying new tacoma as well as myself , will be an expensive year lol
    Good luck on your choices, im glad you were alright in accident
    David

banditcamp likes this.
  16. May 14, 2024 at 1:06 AM
    23MGM

23MGM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road
    UMC, we present you your new vehicle...
    [​IMG]

taco terror likes this.
  17. May 14, 2024 at 1:57 AM
    Airborne

Airborne Well-Known Member

Member:
    Catskills, ny
    Vehicle:
    2014,4 runner trail edition
    Nice looking car, hope you enjoy many good miles

18. May 14, 2024 at 2:05 AM
    23MGM

23MGM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road
    That was me just joking around. I don't know OP. Just a pic of a cool Wilderness, like his old one, but bigger.

19. May 14, 2024 at 5:07 AM
    2Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco SR5 AC
    We were looking at the Subaru Ascent. Reviews were not favorable. We did not look at it any further.
    I thought that it was more similar in size to the 4Runner.

Is this Wilderness Outback bigger than other Outbacks?

20. May 14, 2024 at 6:55 AM
    Off Topic Guy

Off Topic Guy 2023 Trophy Points - Runner Up

Member:
    There's no denying the outback is peppy, drives well, and just simply comfortable. Its not a bad choice in vehicle (especially if you already have a Tacoma for all the other categories the 4runner excels in). BUT, the 250k mile requirement is such a huge gamble, and honestly just pretty unlikely to happen (without major maintenance along the way at least). The difference in value depreciation is also just flat out discouraging.. But lets be honest, anything could happen on any given day, and none of these points would mean anything. Go with your heart buddy! Either is a great pick.

UMC[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top