1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suburu Outback Wilderness vs 4Runner TRD

Discussion in '4Runners' started by UMC, May 13, 2024.

1. May 15, 2024 at 9:31 AM
    OffroadAlliance.com

OffroadAlliance.com Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    This ground clearance is slightly jaded depending on your use "offroad". The 4R clearance is to the front diff/skid and the rear diff, the Subarus ground clearance is the entire underside. The 4R has much higher frame rails and even body side clearance for "dynamics" over objects or offroad over hills. Break-over-angle is a big difference between the two. I personally OWN a '16 TRDP 4Runner, lifted with 35s and a '19 Outback lifted 2" on 31" Nittos. The Subaru bottoms out at the beach over some of the smaller spots and will high center on dunes undoubtedly.

Subaru is majority owned by Toyota so reliability is there, Subarus have subaru problems.

Tit for tat, we use the outback for beach trips, road trips, trips to Colorado and the mountains for the awd and safety aspect with the kids. Space wise theyre very similar, gas mileage is no question (her Outback gets close to 36mpg highway even on the 31s whereas my T4R gets 12) and overall pavement use hers is 100x more comfortable. Lift wise you dont have a ton of options, ours is a Touring model so it rides smooth already, we just did minor spacers and sway bar corrections and it drives like a it did stock.... lifted and looking better/more functional. The Subaru has had some warranty maintenance work and already required a battery in 2022, whereas the 4R has (outside of modified components) had no real major issues even being used as hard as it is compared to how "soft" the Outback is driven. Belows what weve done on the two roughly, Subaru has covered their part of the warranty process and provided a loaner in the "repair" phase of the process whereas ive heard Toyota customers may not get loaners.

To date, 66k miles on the '19 Outback, Subaru performed a manifold gasket replacement at 56k warrantied, Subaru replaced the rear hatch actuator strut because it was malfunctioning and misaligning the trunk when closing and then causing it to open back up at 30k, Subaru replaced the vehicles main radio interface on the dash, twice, as well as the master switch control in the drivers door for faulty electrical "happenings" that were intermittent all under warranty at 40k, battery needed at 48k (2022), needed rotors at 58k on front (not warrantied, lift went on at 25k miles), oil changes and regular maintenance.

T4R '16 with 118k miles, heavily modified and offroaded frequently... Only regular maintenance on scheduled times (didnt pay for dealership coverage and I do my own fluids maintenance), I have a leaking rear main seal at 76k and still havent fixed... monitored and hasnt gotten "worse", the rear-drivers side door window actuator failed at 110k miles, steering rack went out at 72k. No warranty work or repairs needed or performed. Toyota didnt cover my blowing of the 8.2 E-locked rear diff so I went to a Diamond 9.5 back there....

Overall, for what it sounds like youre doing, and for how that Outback took that accident, my $0.02 is the Outback Wilderness suits much better.

2. May 15, 2024 at 9:54 AM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    That's dumb.

3. May 15, 2024 at 12:01 PM
    2Toyotas

2Toyotas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco SR5 AC
    I meant it in jest.
    A 2 stroke eating oil.

SH10151[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 15, 2024 at 12:18 PM
    SH10151

SH10151 Farang

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR AC UP 4x4
    Subaru engineers didn’t mean it in jest, lol.

5. May 15, 2024 at 12:20 PM
    SmoothTRD

SmoothTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Subarus are just too damn fugly, I'll never own one. 4runners are bulletproof.

6. May 15, 2024 at 12:28 PM
    Yoda_Mike

Yoda_Mike YotaWerx Authorized Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Glens Falls, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport
    YotaWerx Blackhawk 2.0 tuned. Typer Auto tail light guards. Rough Country tri-fold tonneau cover. Start-X remote starter. Injen CAI. MBPR Armor Plus high clearance exhaust.
    Man, I love my Tacoma, but in the snow my wife's Forester can't be beat! That thing is a tank in bad weather! The Forester has a ton of room and absolutely NO blind spots at all, too. It's a damn good car! I've packed an awful lot in it with the seats folded down too. I really have nothing bad to say about Subaru at all. It's probably the only other brand of vehicle I would recommend other than Toyota.

taco terror, AK Dudeman and perterra like this.
  7. May 15, 2024 at 12:37 PM
    perterra

perterra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tejas

You likely already know the answer to your question. But I have found the Outback to be head and shoulders better on ice and snow than the Tacoma. I like the heck out of 4R's but I would buy the Outback for a second vehicle. If I didnt already have a Tacoa, maybe a different answer.

A Subaru is not a Toyota (or a Honda) in reliability and longevity, I think maybe on par with the Nissan Xterra and Frontier I had, which is not bad. I'm currently looking at trading in the 16 Outback for a Wilderness, not even thinking about the 4R, I like them, but just no advantage over the Tacoma.

taco terror likes this.
  8. May 15, 2024 at 3:44 PM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x

I just rolled over 105K yesterday on this FA20 engine with not a single issue, the FA24 in the turbo models of the Outback is a more robust engine design than this one too. They seem to have used what they learned from the years building this 2.0 and made the 2.4 better.

Perhaps if you want another Outback, look for used ones to knock off some of that depreciation hit. But if you go new they do have special financing at the moment.

AK Dudeman likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top