1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Subwoofer enclosure

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jm1hawk, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Dec 31, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    Jm1hawk

Jm1hawk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Irvine
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 black
    OME885s MT 17 inch powdercoated rims BHLM 20% tint Alpine headunit Hifonics 1600 W mono amp 2 10" alpine type R subwoofers
    Has anyone built a custom ported box for 2 10inch subwoofers? Behind the seat of a doublecab??? If anyone has pics or advice would help!!!

2. Jan 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    RADTACO68

RADTACO68 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rox
    colorado
    URD supercharger,Urd equel length headers and 3'' exhaust, 6" pro comp lift with Fox coilovers.BDS suspension.
    I have a 2006 tacoma sport I built my own box with a 12 sub.

3. Jan 14, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Two ported 10's will need a decent amount of airspace and the ports will be difficult to mount. I'd imagine few (if any) people have done it but it's certainly not out of the question. I'd imagine a box like that would take up almost all the room behind the rear seats.

4. Jan 14, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    supersuk

supersuk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dcab TRD Sport Magnetic Gray
    Sounds!
    A box for two 10's ported might be tight, if at all possible...there's not much room back there. If anything you're gonna need a sub that can perform in a very very small ported box. One ten or one twelve is very doable.

5. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Passive radiators would likely work better but then you'll need a face of the box that will hold four 10" cones. Could be cool but damn that would be a tight fit.

6. Jan 15, 2011 at 12:08 AM
    RADTACO68

RADTACO68 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rox
    colorado
    URD supercharger,Urd equel length headers and 3'' exhaust, 6" pro comp lift with Fox coilovers.BDS suspension.
    Why don't.u just do sealed?? Sounds way better! But I guess it depends on the music u listen to. I havethe 12 inch sub and takes up right hand back rest.

7. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Any facts to back that up?
    Depends more on the subwoofer's airspace and enclosure requirements.

8. Jan 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    If your not concerned about using up a lot of space anything is possible, I have 2 punch power t2 12s ported in the back of my 05 access cab. Check it out under 2nd gen builds, Called.... my stereo build by Johns Taco.

9. Jan 15, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you dont care what airspace is needed for your subs (meaning you dont care about how it sounds or how low it plays) it can be done easily.

10. Jan 15, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    No ported set up can keep up with the double bass kick beats of some of the death metal groups. I cant even keep up with my set up becasue I put too much polyfill in my sealed subs to try and extend my low end. If its purely speed of attack and recovery for super fast kick drums, you have to go sealed.

11. Jan 15, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Not true man. I agree it's easier to get a sealed box 'right' which tends to yield predictable results. But a PROPER ported box will yield just as much transient attack.

Think about it this way, say you have a subwoofer in a sealed box. To play a 30hz note it will require a lot of excursion (throw/movement) at high power levels. But what if your sub was in a ported box tuned to 30hz? That speaker will play much louder AND will move hardly at all since it's playing closer to tuning.

Now think about what would be more accurate; tons of minimally controlled movement or well loaded cone that moves very little?

12. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah but almost no music other than techno or hip hop has any or much material under 40hz so Im not as concerned with attack and control at 30hz. Mostly 40-80hz and a little above that, say 100 max.

13. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    Johns Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    I'm pretty sure my 2 Punch Power T2 12's {$800 each} each powered by thier own Punch Power 1000w rms amp will keep up with whatever sealed speaker your talking about. You mentioned something about not keeping up on the double bass, hmmm......I am laughing out loud. I am not trying to start a pissing contest, but I can assure you my Tacoma pisses much farther. Sounds good too.

14. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    Johns Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Both sealed and ported boxes have there strengths and weaknesses, I prefer a ported box which suites the majority of music I listen too. Any decent subwoofer manufacturer will have an in depth guideline on how to build and properly set-up a subwoofer encloser. Nothing beats making them yourself when you want to do something that isn't already made for your vehicle. Rockford has all of this, though I do not know about thier lower end subs. Check out there website, it's food for thought.:rolleyes:

15. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Ehhh, I say get your mids down to 65hz ish where they belong. Then let the sub do the work it was meant to do! :D

16. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    A speaker with that large of a moving mass and ported, I doubt it keeps up. Love to hear one that does though but thats the EXACT type of set up that eliminates the individual impacts of the high speed double bass and turns it into a drone in my experience. Perhaps you are not understanding what I am talking about or perhaps I have never heard a propperly set up ported sub set up using big heavy speakers with huge magnets.

For examplelast week... 2 JL W7 13.5" subs and 2000 watts ported... did not do double bass wihtou turning it into a drone. Now it would make your nose bleed the bass was so much but it was too slow.

17. Jan 15, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Ahhhh, moving mass...now that's a different animal entirely ;)

18. Jan 15, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    Johns Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Shove some cotton balls up your nose next time, I have what I have and like it a lot. It sounds good, this guy wants 2 ported 10's and I say go for it. Buy the way, the thought of JL audio being compared to mine is an insult. The last JL audio guy that compared his stuff to mine left the scene extremely dissapointed. W7's LOL! 50hrs time to design this box on paper to final construction, this box is built right and the sound compliments the time invested. What kind of gangster stereo you running anyway? This is mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Jan 16, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Broski,

I don't think DevL meant that post to be offensive. In fact, he said, "or perhaps I have never heard a propperly set up ported sub set up" as a way of saying he'd not heard everything so yours could sound good.

Bottom line is there's no needs for personal attacks since we're all members of the same forum here. DevL actually knows quite a bit about overall system design so I'd doubt if he's running anything "gangster". And gangster (at least from my reference) is running a set of subs with no supporting front stage and calling it a system. That's what the gangsters out here do.

Your enclosure work is great and looks to be well planned. But I think we're missing the point of the original post since the OP has a double cab and a setup like that isn't even possible.

20. Jan 16, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    My system consists of:

Kenwood DNX9960
    JL HD 900/5
    Focal K2 165KR Components
    Focal Polyglass 165CVX Coax
    2 IDQ 10" v3 subs

Its a nice, simple, clean system. Once I get the matte clear on my reapinted trim pieces I will post up pics of the system and sound deadening.

Products Discussed in

To Top