1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suggestion on brakes

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cajunboi, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    cajunboi

cajunboi [OP] Member

Member:
    Is it really worth it to upgrade rotors and pads if the driving I do is primarily city/hwy driving? If so, what advantages do slotted or drilled rotors provide? Recommendations?

2. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Yes it's worth it. Slotted rotors cool faster due to the increase surface area, "bite" better, and clear water from between the rotor and pads faster after splashing through a puddle.

Call Edwin at RaceShopper.com. SP Performance slotted rotors and Hawk pads, most likely. Knocked a good 20 feet off my 60-0 stopping distance when I upgraded my front brakes.

3. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:48 AM
    cajunboi

cajunboi [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the reply. I wonder if you can also answer another question. This is something I notice only occasionally.

If I hit a bump at same time that I apply the brake the pedal feels really weird as if the pad is not grabbing the rotor. I dont know if its due to the rotor floating a bit when hitting a large bump or what. Its mainly on a bumpy road and having to hit the brakes hard.

Anyone familiar with this issue?

4. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:48 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Is it a vibration in the pedal? Could be the anti-lock brakes kicking in, if you have them.

5. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    cajunboi

cajunboi [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah, its in the pedal itself but only when bouncing on fairly decent bumps. I guess that makes sense b/c if Im right, the anti-lock brakes work by pulsing the brakes so they dont lock up. If its pulsing while the rotor is floating a bit I might feel that in the pedal. Do you think that is whats happening?

6. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, that's it. The pulsations are definitely felt through the pedal when ABS kicks in, but it has nothing to do with the floating rotor. It's the rapidly changing pressure in the brake lines that you feel.

I've had cars where the whole thing would shake when the ABS kicked in. Nothing to worry about -- your truck is working as designed. :)

7. Jul 16, 2009 at 9:04 AM
    cajunboi

cajunboi [OP] Member

Member:
    Cool thanks for the reply!

I dont know why I hadnt joined this forum up until now. I have had this truck since I bought it new in '04. Every other vehicle I had I always worked on, however more out of necessity than wanting to do upgrades. I guess when I bought this I was just excited to have something virtually maintenance free. Now I think I miss getting my hands greasy and am wanting to work on this for fun.

There are a few things I have in mind and am just trying to prioritize. If you can give me any input I would appreciate it.

-I already removed elbow from airbox
    -I havent ever done a full tuneup other than airfilter/oil change. Is it worth it to do plugs and plug wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, cap/rotor (I have 70k miles)
    -Id like to do the deckplate mod as well (do you think its still worth it after removing elbow?)
    -Obviously I would like to upgrade brakes
    -Upgrade shocks
    -I have about 70k miles so I know the timing belt is coming
    -Are there any computer mods that can be purchased that would do anything on a naturally aspirated taco? or is it only worth it after adding the TRD supercharger?
    -Whats your opinion on the supercharger?

8. Jul 16, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Best bet with those questions is to start a new thread with a different title. Most of my specific knowledge is restricted to the latest generation Tacomas. Things like brakes are pretty universal.

Lots of Gen 1 guys will speak up on performance mods if the thread title grabs 'em. :)

9. Jul 16, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    carquest carries "ray bestos" brake pads. Their good quality (in fact most factory brakes a ray bestos rebranded) and will last a very long time. They are also warrantied to never squeak. i got my rotors at carquest too they are good rotors. I do a lot of towing/ hauling and I have always been happy with my brakes. I also have a manual tranny though and it helps me stop.

10. Jul 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    URD makes computer mods that will work with a n/a setup. I will be getting their MAF calibrator soon. Gadget works for them or something and he has some posts better explaining their products. http://urdusa.com/
    If you have the money a supercharger would be fun. Be aware that the more power you add to your taco the better gas mileage you CAN get but the easier it is to play with your truck and get a lot worse mileage.
    As far as the shocks go I'm just getting into suspension myself and do not have much exp in that field. I have the trd package and will be replacing my current bilstiens with 5100's soon. That seems to be the most common. hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Post some pics of your truck.
    Not sure what engine you have but I do not have a distributor. Its a coil on plug slave system. Plugs and wires are a good idea as well as your fuel filter and pcv valve (pcv valve I was only able to find at dealer but it was only 7 bucks or something)

Products Discussed in

To Top