1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Super Ultimate 3rd Brake Light Build

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by MESO, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Apr 13, 2020 at 4:38 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee And now I'll do what's best for me

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport DCSB OVTUNED
    OVTune, Raceline Assault 18x9 -6 Offset wheels, Bfg KO2 275/65/18 tires, GTS Dobinson's suspension lift, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Pro Shift Knob, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, tinted windows, ProTuning Black HID headlights, Morimoto 55w 6500k HID kit, LED Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed light, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d decals, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems ,Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso ECT Stealth button on Pro knob, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Wheel spacers-front 1", rear 1.5", Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal.
    I just think that the plexiglass lenses are soft and weak. You would think that they would sell the lens separate from the light. I just don’t want to spend another $150 for lights when I only need lenses.
    I guess I’ll buy one of Meso’s Hex lights whenever they are done.
    @MESO, Any idea when your hex brake light will go for sale?

KnckleChldrn likes this.
  2. Apr 13, 2020 at 4:42 PM
    NoOne

NoOne El Taco Guapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ø ©
    Gulf South
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCLB OR (AT) - MGM
    2018 SR5 - (Sold) 2018 OR (or what?) Louisiana Edition
    Love the lights, not a fan of the “not sold separately” lenses. I have two that cracked as well, but was thinking about changing the color arrangement. Easy with lenses... not, if I have to buy new ones.

PapaRee likes this.
  3. Apr 13, 2020 at 4:47 PM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    OVTune, Raceline Assault 18x9 -6 Offset wheels, Bfg KO2 275/65/18 tires, GTS Dobinson's suspension lift, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Pro Shift Knob, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, tinted windows, ProTuning Black HID headlights, Morimoto 55w 6500k HID kit, LED Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed light, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d decals, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems ,Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso ECT Stealth button on Pro knob, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Wheel spacers-front 1", rear 1.5", Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal.
    KC cyclone lenses

Is @Taylor@KC HiLiTES Still around?
    Maybe he can get them to sell us some lenses. I’d buy replacements plus an extra set. It’s very easy to just replace the lenses.

NoOne likes this.
  4. Apr 13, 2020 at 6:29 PM
    mutely

mutely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro in metallic primer
    Yes, just like that, but (constant + is very different to battery + in a wiring diagram). I located relay next to interior fuse box.
    I don’t know where the interference was coming from, so to remove as many variable as possible I went direct to the battery. If you pick up and constant + from the fuse box, you could well pickup the same + the OEM switch uses, in which case, you’ve just done a lot of work for probably no effect. (Unless the interference comes from where the power wire is running in the harness to the cargo light).

St.Germain likes this.
  5. May 4, 2020 at 10:42 AM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Since my KC cyclone lenses are cracked and I don’t want to spend $30 per light just to replace a $5 lens, I was thinking about changing my 3rd brake light to a different one. I see on Amazon and eBay a bunch of different ones for different trucks. Anyone know if there is another truck with a similar design to the Tacoma double cabs. The 2 bolts holding ours on are 9 1/2” apart.
    I’d rather buy a cheap one that’s not cracked to use while I wait for @MESO ’s new HEX light to be for sale.

6. May 4, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    crashdb

crashdb Makin' it Rain

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4 DC SB
    Stuff that my wife thinks I don't need.
    I'm more curious as to what you've found for the whole replacement??

7. May 4, 2020 at 12:04 PM
    cruiserhead

cruiserhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtice
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR Cement DCSB. 1980 FJ40. 1978 FJ40
    KC replaced mine for free. I am worried a bit that the lenses will crack again, but that was cool.

NoOne and PapaRee like this.
  8. May 6, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    svermilyea

svermilyea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco Sport (Cement)
    3in leveling lift Leather seats Meso signal lights, gas hole, led interior lights, ECT relocate, Chrome delete kits 18" wheel tire package with Rekgen flaps Dasitia Android head unit with wireless Car Play Seat risers ....and way too many other little gems to list
    I had the same issue. I filed a warranty claim with KC. They sent me 5x new lights. I pulled the lenses and sent the old lenses and new housings back to them.

9. May 6, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    NoOne

NoOne El Taco Guapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ø ©
    Gulf South
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCLB OR (AT) - MGM
    2018 SR5 - (Sold) 2018 OR (or what?) Louisiana Edition
    Hrm... might just make my own lenses from sheet polymer.

PapaRee likes this.
  10. May 6, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    svermilyea

svermilyea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco Sport (Cement)
    3in leveling lift Leather seats Meso signal lights, gas hole, led interior lights, ECT relocate, Chrome delete kits 18" wheel tire package with Rekgen flaps Dasitia Android head unit with wireless Car Play Seat risers ....and way too many other little gems to list
    I specifically asked them to go back to design and make thicker plexi for this light. Here is an opportunity for someone to offer an aftermarket solution. I would really hate to have to replace my light. I dig it.

IMG_0071.jpg

BOMBS likes this.
  11. May 6, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    If you do, make lots of extras! I’ll buy some.

12. May 6, 2020 at 6:00 PM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Damn, yours looks like mine! All 5 cracked.

13. May 6, 2020 at 6:02 PM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I’m in Prairieville, Louisiana. I could drive to you to pick them up. And pay $$$.
    Let me know!

14. May 11, 2020 at 5:05 PM
    KnckleChldrn

KnckleChldrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB MT
    OME 886 Coils OME Nitro Charger Sport shocks OME Nitro Charger Sport struts Deaver Expedition leaf pack Mickey Thompson wheels 265/70/17 KO2 Total Chaos upper control arms K&N air intake Southern Style Offroad slim line bumper Smittybilt x20 winch Kicker tweeters, front and rear speakers Anytime front and rear camera Hondo Garage stereo knobs Hondo Garage un-Holley mount MESO puddle pods MESO ultimate red map lights MESO ultimate red dome MESO gasshole MESO ultimate turn signals SpartanXCustoms scoop light Baja Designs Squadron Sports fogs (amber) Baja Designs Squadron Pro ditch (amber) Baja Designs S8 20" Matt Gecko bed lights OEM bed mat 300 Industries grill Bakflip Fibermax cover
    E4E05483-268B-4079-B278-EE27BA7F4141.jpg 7780995F-B9C3-46E5-BF45-E1BC980275D6.jpg Haven’t taken the light off yet and just want to make sure I have everything when I go to do it. I got this adapter from MESO. Do I need to purchase the matching connections to attach to the bd lights wiring? If so anyone have a link to them?

15. May 11, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR

:eek:

16. May 11, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    MESO

MESO [OP] Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD OR QS
    so thats a first verson 3rd brake plug that isn't really released yet. The 2 small black plugs coming off are BRAKE and CAB LIGHT. They are made to plug into my HEXPODS. IF adapting it to BAJA, KC, etc. You just cut them off and solder directly to the lights of your choice. This way it's still plug and play...and not altering the vehicles wiring:D

stiles88, dskakie, Skydvrr and 2 others like this.
  17. May 11, 2020 at 6:29 PM
    KnckleChldrn

KnckleChldrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB MT
    OME 886 Coils OME Nitro Charger Sport shocks OME Nitro Charger Sport struts Deaver Expedition leaf pack Mickey Thompson wheels 265/70/17 KO2 Total Chaos upper control arms K&N air intake Southern Style Offroad slim line bumper Smittybilt x20 winch Kicker tweeters, front and rear speakers Anytime front and rear camera Hondo Garage stereo knobs Hondo Garage un-Holley mount MESO puddle pods MESO ultimate red map lights MESO ultimate red dome MESO gasshole MESO ultimate turn signals SpartanXCustoms scoop light Baja Designs Squadron Sports fogs (amber) Baja Designs Squadron Pro ditch (amber) Baja Designs S8 20" Matt Gecko bed lights OEM bed mat 300 Industries grill Bakflip Fibermax cover
    Oops that’s awesome. Thank you sir. Can’t wait to tackle this!

18. May 11, 2020 at 10:18 PM
    Dee_Rail

Dee_Rail Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dee
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tacoma Off Road 4x4
    Can you sell the connector and pin?

19. May 12, 2020 at 5:39 AM
    Dead_In_The_Head

Dead_In_The_Head Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tan Tacoma Offroad
    None at this time. Too poor for twin turbos.
    Sorry if this has been asked before but I have a question about possible future light housing designs. I saw one of the options has a NMO style connector for a CB/HAM radio antenna and I was wondering, if possible, could a BNC,FMA or another style connector also be added to the housing so I could hook up a WeBoost Antenna as well as a Ham radio NMO antenna?

20. May 12, 2020 at 10:11 AM
    stiles88

stiles88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle (Bothell WA)
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD OR, 2008 FJ
    I'm hoping this will be a solution for the issues I've had with my BD lights! I've been in touch with Andrew via email over the last few months, so I'll check in with him sometime in the near future. I cut off the stock connector for the 3rd brake light, so hopefully this will still work.

Products Discussed in

To Top