1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Super Ultimate 3rd Brake Light Build

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by MESO, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Feb 19, 2021 at 7:48 PM
    WaitingOnMyR1T

WaitingOnMyR1T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD Pro - Magnuson S/C
    @MESO I think my BD4 that I just got seems to have this issue too. I had black all over my hands when I unwrapped it.

Guccitaco likes this.
  2. Feb 19, 2021 at 8:27 PM
    MESO

MESO [OP] Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD 2JZ
    There may be some residual powder and or dye, but let me explain the process which my help. The way these are made is they are 3d printed from a powder into to solid. Once done, the part gets excavated from the loose material. They get sandblasted and most of the power is removed. At this time the parts are raw and grey in color. It then goes into a dye tank where it’s stained black(just for cosmetics). The final step is the exterior of the part is primered and then painted in a black durable coating(to hold up to the outside elements, UV, etc)
    Due to the complex shape and all the nooks and crannys, there can be some leftover powder that gets knocked loose from shipping, handling, etc.
    As for the black stain, any excess dye would be be coming from the backside of the part which does not get sealed/painted. Once installed the interior of the part is not exposed so you would never know. If yours has either, don’t worry it will not affect function, fitment, or longevity of the part. Again, it is not the exterior coating that you are seeing(that stuff is very strong and you would have to chip it off). But any excess from the backside. Hope this helps:)

3. Feb 20, 2021 at 5:53 AM
    Guccitaco

Guccitaco TRDPro 2020 Army Green

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 AG trd pro
    little bit of here and a little bit of that...
    Make sense to me . Thanks for the explanation

Products Discussed in

To Top