1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharged Fuelly.com users car rename request.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jdtemple, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Oct 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    jdtemple

jdtemple [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    Confused yet?

I am asking that supercharged Tacoma's rename the "car name" field on fuelly and put the word supercharged in there somewhere. I would like to see the MPG ratings for superchargers, I am considering putting one in soon, and want to know the loss in mpg if any.

It would simply make it easier to search the list of tacoma's since fuelly doesn't have that sort option.

Thanks!

ETA: Lets not turn this into a debate of "If you are worried about this, don't do that".

It's a simple request so I can review supercharged Tacoma's and see what mpg they get cruising, wheeling, or towing. I already know the gains, and the cost to install. I want to see the long term effects.

2. Oct 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Superchargers can increase mpg's when your cruising but there's a very drastic dive if you put your foot into it. That being said, why would you buy a supercharger if you're not going to use all the power? It would take a very very long time for a supercharger to pay itself off by increased MPG's.

3. Oct 27, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    jdtemple

jdtemple [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    From the 1 lucky find in fuelly, your statement would be correct. I would like to see a general average tho.

Not worried about mpg loss at all, just trying to do a little research. I'd rather know now, than be irritated later. Impulse buying can be a bad thing.

4. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
    This is true. If you drive normal it won't really change much. I have been getting about 17mpg with my 3.4 supercharged. It has a urd pulley so I get 9-9.5 lbs of boost. It's hard to not want to mash the gas down though lol so if you are worried about gas I'd not get one.

5. Oct 27, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    novakills

novakills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, debadged, TRD exhaust, bed d-ring mod, rubber bed mat, 6000K Bi-xenon headlights, 3000K HID foglights, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT PLUS Hood Struts, 2" Toytec AAL w/Bilstein 5100s, 1" aluminum tapered leaf spring spacer, Eibach 1.6" lift coils on Bilstein 5100s set at .85 with Light Racing UCAs, 10% tinted windows, 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country A/T, Pioneer MVH-X560BT,TRD Supercharger, Grillcraft Black MX upper and lower grill, RAAMmat Sound Deadening, Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine Series I61-2 in rear doors, Hybrid Audio Technolgies Legatia L6 and L1V2 in front doors running through Hybrid Audio Legatia L2X crossovers, JL Audio 13TW5 in a bedlined Mr. Marv enclosure, Zed Audio Leviathan Amp on a bedlined Mr. Marv amp rack, DTLT Exhaust Headers w/O2 simulators, full LED lighting interior and exterior, OEM roof racks
    See my fuelly...

6. Oct 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    just get it... you'll love the power so much you wont really care about the MPG's. I for sure didnt :D

Seriously though...My mellow driving mpg might've gone up, but I couldn't keep my foot off the gas, so I was honestly getting like 12 with 33's in a 6 speed manual...Have no basis for comparison to a stock 6 speed as I had the charger installed before picking it up. I can however say that the mpg on my stock '10 auto is around 17-19 with the same wheel setup, not sure if that really helps though as the transmission ratios are different...

One more thing to consider is that once you install it and reflash the ecu, you cant go back to stock again...seems stupid, but well, we are talking about toyota here...

7. Oct 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    I'm always interested when people start talking about MPG. Why are we worried about it anyway? It's because higher MPG cost less money. More expensive fuel like the premium required for a SC kills any value in higher MPG.

My friend is always bragging about how his turbo diesel dodge has the same mileage as my Tacoma. I have to keep reminding him that he is paying 20% more per gallon for diesel.

Put in a SC to boost power and fun factor but expect your cost will go up significantly and your truck will probably wear out sooner due to increased stress on the driveline. For the record, I would pay the $4000 to put one in my truck in a minute if I didn't have to go to premium fuel.

To Top