1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger at altitude?

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by Kerbouchard!, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Jun 10, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    Kerbouchard!

Kerbouchard! [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Englewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    fishin' tank
    Gears and a tune made my truck great to drive at altitude, then I added bigger tires and a bunch of heavy stuff. I'm back to struggling up to the Eisenhower tunnel doing 55mph @ 5k rpm when I'm towing my raft.

It sounds like the Magnuson SC kit has gotten good reviews and may be the extra punch I'm looking for to get me up the big hills. Does anyone have experience with what kind of effect altitude has on SC output? Does the power diminish at about the same rate as the regular engine?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    microsnook and ORtoCOTaco like this.
  2. Jun 10, 2021 at 9:20 AM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
    Physics says the Super Charge will provide more Oxygen/ Air that is "missing" from the altitude effect here. Since this air flow is constant, should help engine performance across the board.

Someone once said with a Supercharger here in CO (guess not cranked all the way up) "gave back the power" his truck had at sea level.

Kolter45, JDM and Kerbouchard![OP] like this.
  3. Jun 10, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW

not familiar with the altitude

SC work best low end & mid range
    will suffer more top end may even reach ' Stand Off '

TURBOS work better top end...………………………………..as seen with air planes / turbo props !!( altitude + power )

eurowner likes this.
  4. Jun 10, 2021 at 9:31 AM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    It definitely makes the truck tow a lot better but you still have to downshift into 3rd/4th to get in the powerband of the engine but can accelerate up hill still doing 70mph. When not towing you can accelerate up most hills in 5th/6th without a problem. The highest I've taken the truck is Monarch Pass at 11,300' and there was no problem with power at all. I plan to tow my boat over Wilkerson Pass at 9500' this weekend so I can update on how that feels but frequent towing between 6-7000' has been improved with the s/c.

5. Jun 10, 2021 at 11:26 AM
    penadam

penadam Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab Tacoma TRD
    The Magnusson supercharge is a positive displacement unit which takes in a fixed volume of air in and discharges it to the other side. There is no compression of the air occurring inside the supercharge rotors, the higher manifold pressures are a result of the supercharger forcing air into the manifold faster than the engine consumes it. As the elevation increases, the mass of air contained in each volume decreases linearly with the altitude, so less air (mass) is forced in with each revolution of the supercharger, resulting in less boost. This effect gives a relatively linear decrease in power similar to what a NA engine experiences, but only once the supercharger bypass is closed. If the supercharger is large enough, it can overcome this linear decrease and keep you at target boost by holding the bypass closed longer. You can also mitigated altitude to an extent with a smaller pully which spins the supercharger faster, but you'll eventually start to run into poor efficiency and you need to be more careful when taking your truck to lower elevations.

soggyBottom and scootter82 like this.
  6. Jun 10, 2021 at 2:29 PM
    Kerbouchard!

Member:
    Englewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    fishin' tank
    That's good news...the low and mid range are what are bogged down.

Got it...so it sounds like, yes, SC power will decrease when at altitude, but it'll still be better than what I'm working with now. Thanks!

skeletron and Gunshot-6A like this.
  7. Jun 10, 2021 at 4:32 PM
    ROAD DOG

Member:
    Vehicle:
    FEW

dont know how much the total weight IS

not sure how much HP (dynod yet ??)

im sure Ud drag my SR around

tho science says at those elevations U have lost at LEASt 10%

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  8. Jun 10, 2021 at 5:07 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    I haven't dynod it but might in the coming weeks when I have time off work. I found a local shop that will run three pulls for $100 which isn't bad.

9. Jun 10, 2021 at 7:01 PM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 Supercharged, 2” pulley, FIC, Methanol, Transgo Shift Kit
    Engine Performance upgrades: Supercharged (Magnuson) FIC/6 Champion Radiator Toyota Corolla thermostat 168° JBA Headers JBA cat back exhaust Upgraded fuel pump Volant Cold Air Intake With custom plexiglass cover TransGo Transmission A340F Valve Body upgrade B&M Transmission cooler Methanol Injection 2 inch pulley Future Plans Supra Injectors Light weight crankshaft pulley Leather seats Off-road upgrades 3” rough country lift 33x12.5” Dick Cepeks Other upgrades: JL Audio 12W6 Sub in custom box JL Audio C5 Mids and tweets all the way around Sound dampened whole cab Transmission temp sensor Gen Tex rear view mirror (temp and compass) Blue instrument panel, a/c control panel lights, shifter, ashtray, glove box. Blacked out badges Blackout bumpers and grill MariMoto Projectors with demon eyes LED Taillights Second generation leather steering wheel with audio controls Custom leather wrapped automatic transmission shifter 3rd gen 4 Runner key ring light (blue) 3rd gen 4 Runner hood scoop
    Dyno pros in commerce city will let you do as many pulls as you want for an hour

crazysccrmd[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jun 10, 2021 at 7:04 PM
    ROAD DOG

Member:
    Vehicle:
    FEW

100 or free

the only way U will KNOW

U might be able to get a reasonable gain

11. Jun 10, 2021 at 9:07 PM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 Supercharged, 2” pulley, FIC, Methanol, Transgo Shift Kit
    Engine Performance upgrades: Supercharged (Magnuson) FIC/6 Champion Radiator Toyota Corolla thermostat 168° JBA Headers JBA cat back exhaust Upgraded fuel pump Volant Cold Air Intake With custom plexiglass cover TransGo Transmission A340F Valve Body upgrade B&M Transmission cooler Methanol Injection 2 inch pulley Future Plans Supra Injectors Light weight crankshaft pulley Leather seats Off-road upgrades 3” rough country lift 33x12.5” Dick Cepeks Other upgrades: JL Audio 12W6 Sub in custom box JL Audio C5 Mids and tweets all the way around Sound dampened whole cab Transmission temp sensor Gen Tex rear view mirror (temp and compass) Blue instrument panel, a/c control panel lights, shifter, ashtray, glove box. Blacked out badges Blackout bumpers and grill MariMoto Projectors with demon eyes LED Taillights Second generation leather steering wheel with audio controls Custom leather wrapped automatic transmission shifter 3rd gen 4 Runner key ring light (blue) 3rd gen 4 Runner hood scoop
    $100

12. Jun 11, 2021 at 9:55 AM
    Wulf

Wulf no brain just damage

Member:
    First Name:
    Kira
    1789 28th St, Boulder, CO 80301
    Vehicle:
    rock raisin
    so, twin charger setup it is

13. Jun 11, 2021 at 10:02 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    @RyanL runs one here in SLC and might have some input. You wont get as much punch from the SC in stock form as at sealevel, but a smaller pulley can fix that.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    microsnook and RyanL like this.
  14. Jun 11, 2021 at 10:16 AM
    RyanL

RyanL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Pro, supercharged, BP-51s, etc
    The Magnuson is excellent. I love it.

Every engine loses power at altitude because the air is less dense. I’m at about 4500’ so a 10% smaller pulley (2.7” instead of the stock 3.0”) put me to where it would be at sea level. AFE intake and TRD exhaust let the engine breathe all that forced air.

The low-end torque is where the Maggie earns its paycheck (and also is what these trucks really need). The smaller pulley added noticeably more high-rpm power.

15. Jun 11, 2021 at 10:20 AM
    RyanL

RyanL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Pro, supercharged, BP-51s, etc
    @hack4875 runs the supercharger in CO, could probably offer some insight too

microsnook and hack4875 like this.
  16. Jun 11, 2021 at 12:34 PM
    hack4875

hack4875 1 of 377

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO Supercharged
    Thanks for the tag @RyanL
    I have the TRD S/C, and my only comparison I can give is to my '09 which was obviously the 4.0L. Not trying to start a turd gen debate, but OP, is your truck the 4.0L or 3.5L?
    My butt dyno tells me same as what you all have said, the low end is where you feel the extra hp. I don't drive the Tacoma very fast (that's for the Z ;)) so I don't really race it around town, but it's nice to have the extra power should the need arise. Every once in a while it's nice to put a ricer in their place from a stoplight. :burnrubber:
    I have towed some trailers and vehicles and the extra power makes it really nice and smooth. I hate vehicles that rev super loud and don't go anywhere.
    OP, if the cost is not going to put you in a financial burden, I'd say go for it. It is nice to have.

microsnook, SR-71A and RyanL like this.
  17. Jun 11, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    Kerbouchard!

Member:
    Englewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    fishin' tank
    Yessir, you're correct, I have the 3.5L. Appreciate all the feedback! Magnuson is getting a call early next week.

RyanL and hack4875[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Jun 11, 2021 at 12:56 PM
    jwizzmasterwet

jwizzmasterwet 2019 TRD OR Cavalry Blue #SUPERCHARGED #METALAF

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue TRD Off-Road #SUPERCHARGED
    INSTAGRAM: JWIZZMASTERWET #SUPERCHARGED #METALAF #HARAMBE PERFORMANCE/FUNCTIONAL UPGRADES: -URD Supercharger -Sound Deadened cabin with Noico Solutions 80mil -Skar Audio full pro-audio setup (2xtweeters, 4xmids, 3x10inSUB) SUSPENSION/LIFT/TIRES: -ICON Stage 4 (650lb coils) -ICON RXT Leaf Pack (Option 3), -285/65/18 BFG KO2 FUNCTIONAL(eye candy?): -Rave OffRoad roof rack -Rave OffRoad 43in light bar (amber + white) -Rigid led PODs (x4) (mounted along roof rack) -Westin Side Steps -BakFlip tri-fold tonneau cover -VOODOO Fabrications hi-rise crossbars -Pelican Case loaded with recovery gear(mounted to roof rack) -Smittybilt gen 2 overlander tent -Smittybilt recovery boards -HI-Lift Jack COSMETIC AND NON-PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: -Custom front grill -Bumper Shellz rear bumber cover -Meso Customs full interior chrome delete -Interior of cabin lined with sound deadening material (Noico Solutions 80mil) -Rear seat delete and custom shelf (home-made) AUDIO (SKAR AUDIO): -2x pro audio tweeters, 4x pro audio mids, 3x 10in subwoofers (SKAR AUDIO) -1x RP-1200 amplifier (mids), 1x RP-2000 amplifier (subs), 1x SK-400 amplifier (tweeters) (SKAR AUDIO) -Audio crossover
    I've had the URD Supercharger on my rig since August, 2020. Been all over the east coast, also in the Ozark mountains in February wheeling in -15. This thing has held up very nicely in all those conditions.

20200828_184401.jpg

microsnook, SR-71A, eurowner and 2 others like this.
  19. Jun 11, 2021 at 8:19 PM
    johntoyota

johntoyota "I'm higher than you'll ever be." -Treetop

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Down yonder in TN
    Vehicle:
    16 truck
  20. Jun 12, 2021 at 6:12 AM
    GoldenBrew

GoldenBrew Insufficient Privilege

Member:
    Golden, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Gen3 4X4 TRD OR AT DCSB, SC YotaWerx, 4.88's
    20210408_095233.jpg (2016 TRDOR V6 SBDC AT, 4.88, stock tires, 6112/5160, Magnuson SC)

Just came back from a 800 mile round-trip camping trip from base 6200 ft over mountain passes of 10,000 ft plus. Towed a camper (2250 dry weight) and a few hundred pounds of stuff. Maintaining speed limit was no problem. Truck ran cooler (transmission pan and converter, and radiator) than same trip last year when truck was NA we had a lighter camper (1700 lb dry weight). Used S mode and locked it down to 4th on long grades up Eisenhower and Vail (both directions out and back). About 3500 rpm - plenty of power as that is middle of boost (probably 8 psi). 60 to 65 mph with no issue, and able to pass without downshift. Magnuson SC made it run way better - totally different machine - no engine struggling noise (valves or other). Could not run it in s mode allowing 5th on grades - it does the oem monkey shift - so just locked it out when that began to happen. Something Magnuson will eventually fix with tune revisions. Averaged 18mpg while towing - trips btwn Palisade and Montrose/Delta not towing we averaged 23 mpg at 65 mph (pretty sure they are on Summer blend gas now which is way better for power and mpg than the Winter blend shit still being served here in Denver proper). Hands down much better than the NA engine setup.

@Kerbouchard!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021

Products Discussed in

To Top