1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger seventh injector versus upgraded six injectors

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Rldanie, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Dec 2, 2019 at 4:27 PM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner, 1996 Tacoma
    I am very interested in that. Link?

Yeah you know the kick down cable? I made a bracket that keeps it pulled all the time. That's why its usually on the throttle pulley, so the shift is soft when just driving, but firmer when you are full throttle.

2. Dec 2, 2019 at 7:25 PM
    Rldanie

Rldanie [OP] Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 Supercharged, 2” pulley, FIC, Methanol, Transgo Shift Kit
    Engine Performance upgrades: Supercharged (Magnuson) FIC/6 Champion Radiator Toyota Corolla thermostat 168° JBA Headers JBA cat back exhaust Upgraded fuel pump Volant Cold Air Intake With custom plexiglass cover TransGo Transmission A340F Valve Body upgrade B&M Transmission cooler Methanol Injection 2 inch pulley Future Plans Supra Injectors Light weight crankshaft pulley Leather seats Off-road upgrades 3” rough country lift 33x12.5” Dick Cepeks Other upgrades: JL Audio 12W6 Sub in custom box JL Audio C5 Mids and tweets all the way around Sound dampened whole cab Transmission temp sensor Gen Tex rear view mirror (temp and compass) Blue instrument panel, a/c control panel lights, shifter, ashtray, glove box. Blacked out badges Blackout bumpers and grill MariMoto Projectors with demon eyes LED Taillights Second generation leather steering wheel with audio controls Custom leather wrapped automatic transmission shifter 3rd gen 4 Runner key ring light (blue) 3rd gen 4 Runner hood scoop
  3. Dec 3, 2019 at 10:49 AM
    Rldanie

Rldanie [OP] Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Engine Performance upgrades: Supercharged (Magnuson) FIC/6 Champion Radiator Toyota Corolla thermostat 168° JBA Headers JBA cat back exhaust Upgraded fuel pump Volant Cold Air Intake With custom plexiglass cover TransGo Transmission A340F Valve Body upgrade B&M Transmission cooler Methanol Injection 2 inch pulley Future Plans Supra Injectors Light weight crankshaft pulley Leather seats Off-road upgrades 3” rough country lift 33x12.5” Dick Cepeks Other upgrades: JL Audio 12W6 Sub in custom box JL Audio C5 Mids and tweets all the way around Sound dampened whole cab Transmission temp sensor Gen Tex rear view mirror (temp and compass) Blue instrument panel, a/c control panel lights, shifter, ashtray, glove box. Blacked out badges Blackout bumpers and grill MariMoto Projectors with demon eyes LED Taillights Second generation leather steering wheel with audio controls Custom leather wrapped automatic transmission shifter 3rd gen 4 Runner key ring light (blue) 3rd gen 4 Runner hood scoop

Got pictures of the bracket?

4. Dec 3, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    Not really, I can take some later.

It's just angle stock with 2 little plates on either end tho

5. Dec 3, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    Rldanie

Rldanie [OP] Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Based off your picture

Looks like you dropped the cruise control too.

6. Dec 3, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    It never had it

7. Dec 3, 2019 at 6:33 PM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    20191203_192501.jpg
    A little different than I remember, not angle stock after all.
    You should try it and let us know the differences.

8. Dec 3, 2019 at 7:54 PM
    Rldanie

Rldanie [OP] Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for sharing

This it an interesting mod

I’m definitely intrigued

Did you hear about it on TW?

9. Dec 3, 2019 at 8:12 PM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    No problem. I cant remember where, just seen something about line pressure along the way and made this. Seems like the transmission is holding it.

10. Dec 4, 2019 at 8:55 AM
    Rldanie

Rldanie [OP] Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Did this mod raise your shift points?

Are there any down sides?

11. Dec 4, 2019 at 10:17 AM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    Line pressure is what holds the clutches together. Since we are boosted and making more power lower in the rpm range with less throttle input, the trans has no idea what's coming in to it other than throttle kick down position. So if we were stock, you dont need as much pressure to hold the clutches, only at wide open throttle. So the factory put the kick down cable on the throttle to adjust line pressure, softer at lower throttle input, firmer at Wot. If it's always firm, the shifts jolt a little more, I feel it the most clicking OD off and on.

One down side is potentially shocking the driveline harder. The U joints will take a little more beating.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Rldanie[OP] likes this.
  12. Aug 1, 2021 at 1:04 AM
    DJ_Rodriguez88

DJ_Rodriguez88 Member

Member:
    sorry to resurrect this old thread..

is it quite common to do EITHER upgraded injectors OR a 7th injector?

i just picked up trd supercharged 3.4l and afaik it has stock injectors and a 7th injector.

im going to have the valve covers off for maintenance soon and i wanted to do injectors while im in there but idk if i should go with OEM replacements or some of the ones suggested in this thread

13. Aug 1, 2021 at 7:38 AM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    @DJ_Rodriguez88

You can do either one, don't need both.

You need a aftermarket computer and upgraded fuel pump in both cases. You need this to tune the fuel and timing curves.

The Urd 7th injector comes with a computer and is the most complete easy to install option. Another benefit is it sprays fuel before the rotors, this helps to cool off the boost a little bit.

Next option would be Lexus Is300 310cc injectors. Plug and play fitment. You will need to adjust fuel with aftermarket computer.

I perfer the Aem Fic6 or Fic8. They are getting hard to find, but are out there. Lots of adjustments to fiddle with though. Can be time consuming.

If you are new to engine tuning, I would recommend the 7th kit. Very easy to install, and if you buy it new from Urd they will upload a tune onto the box that should be pretty good. Don't forget to hook up the Afr wire, part throttle fueling makes a huge difference on these superchargers.

14. Aug 1, 2021 at 9:18 AM
    DJ_Rodriguez88

DJ_Rodriguez88 Member

Member:
    thanks @Jon64l . it already has the trd 7th injector and computer that it comes with, i guess ill need to verify which fuel pump is on the vehicle and ill just do the injectors with oem replacements

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  15. Aug 1, 2021 at 9:22 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    It's got the TRD 7th or the URD 7th injector?

As far as I know they are virtually the same thing, but the TRD branded one is awfully rare nowadays. Don't think TRD sold it for more than a couple years.

16. Aug 1, 2021 at 10:11 AM
    DJ_Rodriguez88

DJ_Rodriguez88 Member

Member:
    ahh you're right. It's the URD kit. The previous owner also included the CD (for the tuning software i assume?). I'm not sure i'm up to the task of tuning it myself (i dont have anything to stick a CD in anyway lol) but glad to know the option is there.

So, stock injectors + URD 7th injector is the way to go? BTW 2.5" pulley (i think thats the one it comes with right?), stock exhaust. it runs great as-is, just lookin to do some maintenance :thumbsup:

17. Aug 1, 2021 at 5:14 PM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    Stock pulley is 2.34", so 2.5" would be a low boost pulley. That is a good, especially if you don't have the fuel/timing mods.

18. Aug 2, 2021 at 10:34 AM
    DJ_Rodriguez88

DJ_Rodriguez88 Member

Member:
    I'm not sure how to tell which fuel pump is in the car, but i can't hear it so i'm assuming it's stock. I'd love to be able to identify the current pump, and upgrade if needed.

If I do end up getting a slightly smaller pulley is stock injectors + 7th still the way to go?

Does anyone know a shop in SoCal near San Diego that can tune the URD piggyback?

19. Aug 2, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    Shortman5

Shortman5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TRD
    TRD S/C, ADS coilovers.
    I went through two Walbro 190s and one Deatchwerks and then back to a DESNO (OE manufacturer) It’s a much higher quality pump than all the other junk on the aftermarket and it’s fuels me fine on a 2.1.

Don’t waste your time with a pump unless you are throwing fuel at it and it will not get any richer. Best way to tell would be to install a fuel pressure gauge in the cab to watch pressure under boost.

But again. From my experience aftermarket pumps suck.

20. Aug 2, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    I also had a Walbro 190 at one point. Worked fine but started maked a louder noise after about a year or so. I quickly changed to a Aem pump. No issues, no noise. Definitely invest in a quality fuel pump, nothing from ebay or similar sites. Lots of fakes.

Get a Afr guage to see where you are at currently. Then swap to a stock pulley and monitor. Then eventually a 2.2. Maybe contact Urd and see if they can re flash the computer. I would try it first tho, should be fine atleast down to a stock pulley.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    DJ_Rodriguez88 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top