1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Superchargers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WalkingStick, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Feb 16, 2019 at 8:03 PM
    WalkingStick

WalkingStick [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Vehicle:
    2015 Sport Blue Ribbon
    Magnuson Supercharged + cold air intake
    Hey Guys,
    New to the forum & have a 2015 Sport with a Magnuson Supercharger installed less than a year. Having an awesome time with it & had to recently replace a broken tensioner & belt
    Figured I'd start this thread to hear from others about experiences & mishaps, I've got a few more of my own to share.

2. Feb 17, 2019 at 6:49 AM
    bluezzy

bluezzy Love My SuperCharged 07 Sport!

Member:
    First Name:
    Monty
    Eugene, Oregon
    My Sport 150k on it and is Supercharged and the 2.85 pulley, not one single problem with it, yet.

Norton, MeowListenHere and RyanL like this.
  3. Feb 17, 2019 at 8:39 PM
    KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB
    Elka coilovers, supercharged, 4.56 gears, ARB front and rear, 255/75/17 BFG, other stuff that weighs a lot
    Good to hear a positive experience on the magnusson. I'm leaning towards getting one but can't bear to read the 600 plus pages of the thread linked above. My question is simply going to be does it work fine if you just put it in with the bullydog and just use it as stock. The thread has gone so far down the power gains path and I would be just happy with the extra 60 hp.

4. Feb 17, 2019 at 8:40 PM
    RyanL

RyanL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Pro, supercharged, BP-51s, etc
    S/C is great, bully dog tune caused a lot of guys a lot of grief.

Norton and inwood customs like this.
  5. Feb 17, 2019 at 8:42 PM
    Skootter14

Skootter14 Upon my signal, unleash Hell

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4D LB 4x4 Metallic Grey
    "a lot of stupid stuff" -Wife
    I know its a lot of info, but the thread doesnt start out too deep.

it answers your question rather quick though regarding the bullydog tuner. . . as in the results with that "garbage" are variable. little have no problem with it...most have tons.

you are better off with the TRD tune if you are looking for minimal adjustments after install (but the TRD tune can be very rich)

Its worth your time taking due diligence and sifting through some of the info in that thread if you are getting into the S/C world.

Norton and inwood customs like this.
  6. Feb 17, 2019 at 8:45 PM
    RyanL

RyanL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Pro, supercharged, BP-51s, etc
    rmepilot likes this.
  7. Feb 17, 2019 at 8:55 PM
    KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB
    Elka coilovers, supercharged, 4.56 gears, ARB front and rear, 255/75/17 BFG, other stuff that weighs a lot
    Thanks folks for the replies on that post. Don't want to hijack a thread but you're right - I do need to read more on it. But just difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff on those threads. I'm of an opinion that usually people post problems and not good experiences - so for every person with an issue there are probably 10 with none, and those 10 never post. Lol And unfortunately can't get the TRD tune in my neck of the woods, and I've even read some that don't recommend it.

Anyway, no s/c until after my fall Baja trip, so have lots of time to read and ask questions yet

8. Feb 17, 2019 at 11:43 PM
    WalkingStick

WalkingStick [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Vehicle:
    2015 Sport Blue Ribbon
    So the truck was at 39 months old with @25k miles with an expired warranty, of course, & the brake actuator went out...cost me @3800$ to fix. Now I drive around with a solid brake & vdc in IP pretty crazy but I do it.
    Waiting for a Pro Tune to come out for the 4.0 V6 & maybe that'll take care of it...plus new headers that are illegal
    But in the back of my mind I'm wondering if the tune had something to do with it.
    What I've learned is it's a little risky to mod your everyday vehicle.

9. Feb 18, 2019 at 5:48 AM
    jedirye

jedirye Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    You do new spark plugs with SCer install?

I learned the hard way. To replace your plugs, the whole SCer needs to be removed. There are other methods where people skate by that... Long story short, install new iridiums when doing SCer so you won't have to worry about them for a while.

10. Feb 18, 2019 at 6:02 AM
    rmepilot

rmepilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    '23 LR DCSB TRD OR 4x4 Premium Pkg
    2019 Jeep GC Summit 5.7l '15 DCLB S/C 4x4 Limited Pyrite Mica - Deceased
    No issue here with the BD tune, but If I did it over again, I'd but it without software and use the TRD tune.

During my install, I had to get the files directly from BD. The file that they linked to didn't work correctly. I think this was the problem for most, but idk. :notsure:

50k on the SC w/ BD and zero issues.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  11. Feb 18, 2019 at 3:34 PM
    WalkingStick

WalkingStick [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Vehicle:
    2015 Sport Blue Ribbon
    My install was the same had to call at the end of the day & bust ass to get it done

rmepilot[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Feb 19, 2019 at 12:16 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I agree with your "wheat from the chaff" metaphor but, FWIW, the knowledge gained makes it worth the effort. The TRD tune is (can be) available from any Toyota dealer who knows how to use Techstream and chooses to make it available. If you haven't already done so, try some other dealers. Like sorting the wheat from the chaff, it will be worth your time if you find a dealer willing to install it.

zippsub9 likes this.
  13. Feb 19, 2019 at 12:27 PM
    zippsub9

zippsub9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halfmoon, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB
    Shit bolted onto other shit, and junk.
    I learn something new on this site everyday and continue to mod my daily driver after 5 years from driving it off the lot brand new. You can get the TRD tune. I just did it yesterday for $108. It may not be your closest Toyo dealer, but they ALL have access to it. It is in the accessories Tab of the TIS Toyota Techstream system. Worst case: you can ship your ECM to multiple people on this site that will flash it for you, but this can be challenging if it is your daily driver unless you get another ECM from a donor vehicle somewhere.

The SCer calls for much cooler plugs than stock regardless. If you install without changing plugs then you probably are starting off on the wrong foot. That seems like it would equate to an SC install but never switching over to premium fuel. Can you, yes, should you, probably not if you want the performance or durability to maintain. I had the pleasure of the complete install myself so removal to replace driver side plugs really isn't a big deal and it is only the surge tank and not the entire SC (meaning pulleys, plumbing, pump, wiring)

GreenBean394, RyanL and Norton like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top