1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supersuks 2010 Tacoma Audio Build

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by supersuk, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Oct 11, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    BWAHAHAHA...audio dave...that guy turned DIY into a WAR ZONE for about a month. That guy is such a fraud. Kicks look good though; glad you got your stuff.

2. Oct 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    cmytacoma

cmytacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Humboldt county NORCAL
    Vehicle:
    05 black DC LB sport
    Eclipse AVN 6620, Diamond audio 4.5" component in kicks, center channel with same mid and 2 tweets, infinity kappa perfect component 6.1 in front doors, kappa 6.1 coax in rear, sx900.4, fosgate power 1000, 06 L7 in ported box. BHLM, custom made sliders,
    Yea, i don't know whatever happened to him, he took great care of me and sent a bunch of extras and such to make sure i had extra of everything i needed...Guess i got him at the right time lol. LMK about the box and ill pay for shipping, my local shops are garbage and id love to have those hooked up @ 425 w rms and those things will slam! Worth every penny for quality work!

3. Oct 11, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    supersuk

supersuk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dcab TRD Sport Magnetic Gray
    Sounds!
    I pm'd ya. I think it'd probably be best for me to give you the dimensions of the box and contact someone like Mr. Marv who can make your box, he lives in cali also. Shipping will probably be a lot cheaper and his work is outstanding! Very easy going guy and great to talk with.

4. Oct 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    supersuk

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Sounds!
    Last night, my PXA-H700 came back from repair. I didn't get to test the output of the unit since its been raining here in hawaii off and on, however I did get to see if the display on the controller works. Now its just beautiful! Hopefully i'll install this soon, maybe the weekend? I'm gonna play around with the imprint more and see if I can get something that sounds really good to me and use my RTA to record the frequency response. I'll try to replicate that as much as I can with the PXA-H700.

5. Oct 12, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    cmytacoma

Member:
    Humboldt county NORCAL
    Vehicle:
    05 black DC LB sport
    Eclipse AVN 6620, Diamond audio 4.5" component in kicks, center channel with same mid and 2 tweets, infinity kappa perfect component 6.1 in front doors, kappa 6.1 coax in rear, sx900.4, fosgate power 1000, 06 L7 in ported box. BHLM, custom made sliders,
    Ill be the guinea pig if u want to draw up a design for the two dayton ported tens doube cab box!!!!! and kick u down some scratch for making the design and have marv build it....Super interested in getting both back there!!!!! LMK and thanks for the other plans @ worst case il use those and start with one!

6. Oct 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    supersuk

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Sounds!
    cmytacoma - sounds good. Just give me a couple weeks to come up with the design. I'll grab the dimensions of the box that I currently have and send them over your way. However, I think i'm going to change some things with this design because I may have tuned it a little too low.

7. Nov 5, 2010 at 11:10 PM
    silvaboi

silvaboi Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    oahu
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4dr 4x4 6spd
    nice system i was looking for something like that , i live oahu if u could help me out man

8. Nov 8, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    supersuk

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Sounds!
    silvaboi - what you need help on? If its fabricating the pods, I can give you direction but i'm not gonna do this again. Its just a lot of work and time. I'm actually still working on the pods for the mids and tweets. I guess its cause I wanna get them perfect and trying to find time to do it!

I'm more then happy to meet up if you wanna see it in person...PM me your number and I'll give you a call when I have some time.

9. Nov 17, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    ToyoDrew

ToyoDrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno TRD-OR DCSB 4x4 (SOLD)
    OVTune, Hertz spkrs & JBL MS-8 DSP, Turn-as-Tail mod, LEDs everywhere, MESOJDM Turn Signal, Bakflip Revolver X2, Pop-n-Lock, Yakima roof rack, & many minor mods
    Do you have any pics of the full sub box installed? I think I'm going to do a single ported 10" and like what you have done.

How's the rest of the install coming?

10. Nov 17, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    supersuk

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Sounds!
    Actually its been coming along slowly. I finally had a chance to work on it a little further after most of the rains have subsided. Here are some progress pics of the tweeter pods with everything installed where it should be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Nov 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    supersuk

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Sounds!
    The tweeter pods have brought up the stage height a lot! I still have a lot of tuning to do right now... Anyone got any pointers for setting time alignment? Right now i've measured all the distances and have input them into the H700, but it still needs fine tuning. The frequency response of the system is pretty decent without too much equalization. I think I may have to work on the crossover tuning a bit more. I'll play around with everything as I find more free time.

12. Nov 17, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    supersuk

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Sounds!
    BTW, one of the dayton 8" drivers started to make some mechanical noise. Maybe its a defect? Anyways, I ordered two more and should be here soon. Maybe its the reason why the Midbass frequency response was quite wacky on the drivers side. I used my RTA to measure the frequency response and there was a huge dead zone from 120hz down to about 70hz. However, anything above 120hz it was decent. The passenger side is silky smooth with a pretty flat response from 70hz to 300hz.

13. Nov 17, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    SICK!!! I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Nov 18, 2010 at 3:17 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Call PE about it. They are VERY good with the warranty of the Dayton product line. Like I was saying before, my friend blew up a few of those and they just kept replacing them.

As for tuning tips, phase setting will get you most of the way there. Do that first and then do TA.

15. Nov 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    supersuk

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Sounds!
    So basically after phasing, just increase/decrease time alignment until the image gets centered. I'm assuming the measurements of the distance of the speakers from the listening area doesn't matter as much? Also, I have noticed that when changing the time alignment, I can hear a frequency response change every 0.05ms. Am I hearing things or is this right?

16. Nov 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Measure out your distances first only as a starting point. Then, assuming you can do the phase switch easily I'd do it next. Throw that disc I mailed you in and run the phase track over and over. Get things as right as you can that way.

Then, throw a little time alignment on it again. If you can listen to JUST the tweeters or JUST the mids or midbass drivers on their own (in pairs) it's MUCH easier to tune that way I find. I play the number track (counting from 1-25) for that one. The TEEN's and Twenties are great for tuning the tweeters since there is a little more HF content. Do them individually and you'll get a rock solid center.

If you have trouble getting a center you might try changing the phase of one of the drivers. In fact, that's what I'd look at first if it gives you trouble. Hopefully you can do this all from the computer or you'll want to pull your hair out.

17. Nov 18, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    ToyoDrew

ToyoDrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno TRD-OR DCSB 4x4 (SOLD)
    OVTune, Hertz spkrs & JBL MS-8 DSP, Turn-as-Tail mod, LEDs everywhere, MESOJDM Turn Signal, Bakflip Revolver X2, Pop-n-Lock, Yakima roof rack, & many minor mods
    Is there any issue with having the tweeters so far away from the mids in the kick panels? I have never done it personally, but I have heard others say that it should be avoided. Maybe it was just their preference since it supposedly pulls the stage down quite a bit.

The fiberglass work looks like it turned out good. Are you planning to paint it or cover it with something like vinyl?

18. Nov 18, 2010 at 7:00 PM
    supersuk

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Sounds!
    Well, it depends on the music. On songs where there are low male vocals, It brings the stage down. However, for most music the stage is set fairly high due to my tweeter locations. I wanted to make some pillar mids and tweets, but I was told to avoid it since its a lot harder to tune. I may try a pillar mid/tweet combo in my other car. I have an extra set of everything. LOL Speakers, Amps, Wiring, processors....

Thanks for the compliment! In reality, I barely used any fiberglass. There's only one layer on the kicks and none on the sails. Its mostly resin, duraglass, and rage extreme. I figured that the tweeter pods didn't have to be too strong to its just purely resin, duraglass, and rage extreme. Its really sturdy and I doubt it'll ever give me any trouble. Everything is pretty damn strong and I know will not give me any problems. I'll be finishing the pods with texture and paint. The kicks will be painted the matching OEM SEM color and the sails will be painted Landau Black (SEM). It'll be nice....I hope.

19. Nov 18, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    TBK224

TBK224 ~THE LIGHT GUY~ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    6" Pro Comp Stage One Lift Kit and 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's riding on 18" XD Addict Wheels
    Great build man. That will be a sweet setup when everything is done. Hopefully someday I can build a custom system for my taco. Good job on all the custom speaker mounts, they look great.

20. Nov 27, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    cmytacoma

Member:
    Humboldt county NORCAL
    Vehicle:
    05 black DC LB sport
    any box blue prints yet?

Products Discussed in

To Top