1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supplemental Cooling Fan

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Mr.Jack, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jun 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    Mr.Jack

Mr.Jack [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    Remote Start, 4 Hella Lights, Brush Guard, Grey Wire
    I have been looking at Transmission coolers as of lately and went to my local Advance Auto to look at their stock. One of the clerks talked to me about it and he recommended additional fans instead of a aftermarket tranny cooler since when I offroad in the sand, airflow is low and the system isnt staying as cool as it should.

FYI, the reason I am looking into a cooler is because the transmission temp crept up to 217*f on the beach the other day. Even though he told me operating range is up to 230*f, I don't feel comfortable with those kinds of temps.

So here is my question, would an additional electric fan in the front of the radiator pushing air through really help that much? I could see it possibly keeping the tranny cooler as well as the condenser for the AC. This would be a great perk to enhance my remote starter and keep the tucks AC running cooler in the hot humid South East. In high end PC's, people have great success with a "push pull" cooling setup for their CPU's - could this apply to my Tacoma too? Or should I just stick with an aftermarket cooler?

2. Jun 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It will help a lot.
    Especially off road, you're running high engine/trans loads at relatively low RPM and very low speed.
    My '95 Suburban ran VERY hot climbing the old landfill road to he gun range. I installed an aux fan from a 2500 and wired it through a relay to come on any time the AC was on and I never had a heat issue again.

3. Jun 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    Mr.Jack

Mr.Jack [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    Remote Start, 4 Hella Lights, Brush Guard, Grey Wire
    Well, I just replaced the fan clutch and my trans temp has improved. I'm going to monitor over the next few days and see if an aux cooler is still needed.

If I do install a tran cooler, I want to place it somewhere besides in front of the condenser and get a small fan just for it.

4. Jun 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Check a motorcycle parts house for a small fan that'll be perfect for a trans cooler.

Products Discussed in

To Top