1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sure doesn't sounds like wheel bearings to me!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bamahoyt, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    Bamahoyt

Bamahoyt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD 4x4 Xtra Cab
    -Camper top
    I got new tires on yesterday and was called because they said my front passenger side wheel bearing was toast and it was pretty loud to them. I had never heard anything out of the normal as far as I was concerned but this morning I jacked up the front, spun the tires and listened for noise and heard nothing but brake noise. I then proceeded to check the bearings for play and there was absolutely no play in them. Am I possibly missing something cause I certainly didn't notice anything beforehand and after I checked them myself it didn't seem that they were bad at all. If they were bad would it be very noticeable cause it just isn't to me. Thanks for the help.

2. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 Double Cab 4X4
    Only one out of the 4 I've changed had any play in them. And that one was so freaking loud it was deafening. Even on that one I couldn't really hear anything too out of the oridinary turning the tire. But it did turn a little harder than the other side, which I discovered the next day was also bad but nowhere near AS bad. Of the others I probably wouldn't even have noticed them being bad if I was running mud tires like I used to when I was young. If it isn't making any abnormal sounds to you keep running it. The design of these won't allow it to physically come apart and cause an accident. And trust me when they truly are bad you will know it.

3. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    Bamahoyt

Bamahoyt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD 4x4 Xtra Cab
    -Camper top
    Awesome thanks a bunch

4. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    Jpwarrior

Jpwarrior Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Alameda
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD 4x4 Silver
    Undercover classic
    This just happened to me and I got the new bearing put on yesterday night and my truck is as quiet as a Camry now. I bought the truck used and it always had a vib between 20-30 MPH that would increase in pitch all the way up to 70MPH. I too rotated the tire round and round and checked for freeplay. Results were nothing. I was thinking it was the diff. bearings but then someone sent me a PM and was telling me the same stuff Im telling you.

The only way I was able to pinpoint it was driving up next to a wall on a wharehouse with the window down and then I could hear it. Also when I would turn from left to right the vibe in the floorboard would come and go.

Not every Tacoma displays the same sound when wheel bearings start to fail.

The point Im making is the bearing only will only make noise when 2,000lbs of truck is sitting on it.

I was able to do it all myself. It's not that hard at all. I bought the parts but had to get Toyota to press on the new bearing cause its a real brute.

Good luck, you'll be fine. No rush really. I drove from San Francisco to Yellowstone and the sound never got any worse.

To Top