1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Surging

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Phoneman1, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Nov 25, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    Phoneman1

Phoneman1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Land O Lakes Fla
    Vehicle:
    95 2.4 5sp
    My truck is surging badly, really cant drive , it just bucks like crazy, When Im in the drive way with the hood up, it just constanty surges, around 600 rpm to 900 rpm, every sec or 2, it wont stop,and wont stay running at idle while just setting, if I take loose the vac going to the pcv it still surges but with just verly stay running, last night trying to get home from work it was bucking like crazy going down the road, then just clicked and started running perfect, then about 2 min later started it again. No codes are comming up on the dash and code reader, Just recently (about 2months ago replaced the MAF, its been running like a sewing machine, its always run perfect, Ive checked vac hoses, air cleaner, gotta be something simple Im missing, Help
    Charles

2. Nov 25, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    CelticTaco151

CelticTaco151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kate
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road DBL Cab 4x4
    sorry about your trouble. although this has never happened on my truck, it did happen on my 06 cobalt ss. ended up being a bad O2 sensor, but check the intake also. good luck!

edit: code did come up on dash, but it wasn't for wasn't for the O2 sensor, although ultimately that was the problem.

3. Nov 25, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    XwesleysnipesX

XwesleysnipesX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Batesville, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    1996 2.4L 2x4 (sold). 2002 2.7L sr5 4x4 (sold)
    Id put my money on ox2 sensors.

4. Nov 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    Phoneman1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Land O Lakes Fla
    Vehicle:
    95 2.4 5sp
    Ok, so I went out this morning and changed out the MAF sensor, to the old one that throws out the Codes for bad MAF or VAF, now the truck wont surge antmore, but still wont run without the small Vac hose on the intake facing out with the rubber cap on it, if I leave the cap off of it the truck will at least Idle without the surge, but isnt right. So If I ollow a small Vac leak, it somewhat runs tho not smoothly. Also replace the PCV valve, No codes for OX sensor, which I did replace about 2 yrs ago, and it did throw codes saying it was bad, Man
    Charles

5. Nov 27, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    Phoneman1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Land O Lakes Fla
    Vehicle:
    95 2.4 5sp
    Update....
    I went to Napa and got some seafoam, 1 for the gas tank, 1 Seafoam Creep, And 1 throttle body cleaner, Sprayed the creep in the throttle body, then used the compressor to blow into the small caped tube sticking out on top of the throttle body, then got the truck to crank with the plastic air intake off, then reved truck and sprayed the throttle body cleaner into throttle body (whole can), after I finished and re installed the air chamber coming into the throttle, It still didnt really idle very well, and was still putting out smoke from tail pipe. Took it out for a hard run, around 10 miles or so (we had kicked up idle to keep it running) I came to a stop light and noticed it was idling way high alot more then where we had it set at. Got back to the house and it was running perfect, reset the idleto 750 and now everything is perfect, Could it have just have been a throttle body that needed seafoamed?, apparently

To Top