1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension components? ( lots of questions)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by krisjw101, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    krisjw101

krisjw101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Spokane,WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Autobot in my rear window
    Ok so I am trying to learn all I can about everything so here are my questions?

What is the purpose of upgrading your sway bar links? what would cause the stock ones to break or bend? I have read that some people remove their sway bar, why?

When you lift your truck it increases the angle on your cv joints, when the boot gets all shredded from the more extreme angle does that mean that the joint its self needs replacing or just the boot? how do you know when the joint needs to be replaced? Is there a remedy to even out that angle on the cv joints for the 05+ rigs. I know there is a diff drop but I have heard that all it does is rotate the differential not actually lower it?

Last but not least what is the purpose for axle shims and a carrier bearing drop kit? ( what is a situation they would be needed)

2. May 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Removing the sway bar increases front articulation by allowing each side to work independent of each other!

CV's will be fine as long as you're not lifted past 3"! Mine are right around there and the boot fins look normal. From my understanding the boot would wear out causing the cv's to be open to the elements etc and they'll go shortly after. I think to check them just try to wiggle them and there will be a tiny bit of play but not loose feeling??

Axle shims and carrier bearing drops are to fix the angle of your rear drive line when there's a decent amount of lift back there. Would cause vibrations mainly!

Do your shit right the first time man......quality coilovers (Icon, Fox, King), replacement leaf pack to fit your driving style and lift preference and quality rear shocks. You don't have to be into high speed wheeling for the better coilovers.......ive had a couple different set ups and from experience, they ride the way these trucks were meant to be and a budget set up doesn't ride half as good! You wouldn't be spending that much more really!

Size 265 upgraded tires with better traction and stock wheels will work just fine!

3. May 7, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    krisjw101

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Spokane,WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    ok thanks man. what setup are you running? p.s. why replace the swaybar links?

4. May 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    On the cv boots, I just recently learned from another member on here(amazing what is common knowledge.....guess I'm not common around here. :D ) that to keep you boots from shredding you can do the cv hose clamp mod. All it is is removing the factory clamp and pulling the boot out just a bit so that the fins dont touch any more and wear each other out. Once you have it pulled out a bit, just put a new hose clamp on.

Dont know squat on sway bar links.

5. May 7, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Only reason to replace sway bar links would be to put on ones with a quick disconnect.

But that's not a great idea on 2nd gens, as they disconnected sway bar will strike the CV boots as the axle articulates, putting holes in the CV boots.

6. May 7, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    krisjw101

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Spokane,WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Are shims and a carrier bearing drop necessary in most cases or is it case to case?

7. May 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Usually case by case! I'm running icons!

Products Discussed in

To Top