1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Ideas

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by wksos, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    wksos

wksos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Lifted TRD
    So I bought my truck about three months ago and was pretty happy with the "look". The previous owner told me it was "all suspension" and that couldn't be further from the truth. It turns out it has a 3" body lift and 1" spacers. I realize that I should have done more research but I'm still really happy with my purchase, I just need to do it right now. I am the first to admit that I don't know too much about lifted vehicles but am pretty knowledgable when it comes to vehicles in general and am pretty machanically inclined.

I went to a local off road shop and told them I want to replace my tires (33x12.50x15), buy new rims (currently has rusty steel black wheels), remove the body lift and add the "correct" lift. I was told I couldn't do a 4", comparable to to the current lift, because the tires are too wide so I would need to do a 6" Fabtech lift. Total quote out the door was 7k. I almost had a heart attack. Labor alone was 2k. I have done quite a bit of suspension work but it was on lowered vehicles.. I'm sure I could handle most of the fabtech install but he said that there was a lot of cutting and welding..

So my question is can I go with say an OME setup and run the 33's still? Anyone here running that setup? I don't really need the Fabtech just want a true lift that has no rubbing issues and has good ride quality. I'm not looking forward to removing the body lift but man I hate it. The guy at the shop said that Toyota is pretty proud of those factory body mounts.. I think I will price them tomorrow.

I've posted pics of my truck before but I will throw up another one for reference.

mail_7908fd84a4c5d01d2c6db16d5f034d229b5f0818.jpg

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

2. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Yes, you will be able to fit 33's on 3'' suspension lift. But Biltein shocks and eibach coils would be best because they give a bit more lift than OME.

Its worth getting rid of the body lift, and don't go with toyota body mounts, you will pay out the ass for those. Get body mount bushings from energy suspension.

You may have some slight rubbing issues w/ the 33X12.5 so maybe rims with the proper back spacing will help.

3. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    wksos

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Lifted TRD
    Where would you recomend buying the lift from? What shock do you suggest-5100's? What should I go with on the back?

4. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
  5. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    yes, the 5100's are the best to go with. They are adjustable for lift, but with eibach coils, you set it on "0" lift because the longer coil acheives the lift.

For the back you will need either an add-a-leaf (cheaper) or a whole new leaf pack (much more expensive) to match the front. You can go a bit less lift in the rear because the tacomas have a rear-high rake stock, so a smaller lift in the rear will level the truck out.

This will all run you around $800 *roughly* in parts. MUCH cheaper than that shop would have charged you. They were just trying to make money off you, because a fabtech DB lift would be overkill for 33'' tires.

Check out www.downsouthmotorsports.com

OME kits are also very good.

6. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    wksos

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Lifted TRD
    scwerks-I was actually just reading that thread. The lifts look about right. Thanks for the input-I've been trying to read up as much as possible. There seems to me so many options I'm having a hard time figuring out which route to go.

I appreciate the input guys-there was no way I was going to drop 7k but I have to get this thing fixed right. It's a nice truck but I can't believe the things that the previous owner did. I've been having lots of fun undoing all the dumb shit he did.. It will be pretty satisfying when I'm completely done.

7. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    I'd go with this if I were you....

Front Suspension: Blistein 5100's

Rear Suspension: Blistein 5150's

PM both Downsouth Motorsports, and Toytec Lifts. They give discounts to us TacomaWorld members. And you should be able to get a decent lift for less than $600

8. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    this is the setup i have that's not installed yet. i recommend you first decide what type of off-roading you plan to do, if any, and then decide on a budget that you can afford to spend. you can clear 33s on a 3" lift with some trimming. check out the vendor section as well when you're ready to shop around. they will gladly help you put a package together if you tell them what you want to achieve.

9. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    wksos

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Lifted TRD
    Thanks for adding the links. How much total lift will that setup give? $600 sounds great and I could definately install all of that myself.

10. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    wksos

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Lifted TRD
    What would need to be trimmed? Honestly, and I know people will hate to hear this, I don't plan on getting too crazy off road. It's not 4wd so I don't plan on getting into a situation I can't get out of. It is a TRD but that rear locking dif is no sub for 4wd. I have a Ninja 636 bike that I drive most of the time-the truck is for carry the kids around and dealing with the two months out of the year when I can't ride my bike.

11. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Up front it should give between 3-3.5 inches. And the back would get around 2-3 inches if I remember correctly. This is the type of lift I plan on doing to replace my spacer lift as well.

12. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:45 PM
    wksos

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Lifted TRD
    Any thoughts on All Pro rear leafs?

13. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    ThunderTaco01

ThunderTaco01 A Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Southern Cal.
    Vehicle:
    '04 trd prerunner
    I have the toytec ultimate lift on my taco and it's great!! I just put 5150s on the rear instead of the 5100s though. It's a pretty good deal and you save a lot of money if you're able to install it yourself. It definitely beats a body lift. I have an AAL in the back and it works, for now but All Pro has a good full leaf pack that I plan to go with soon.---Oh, and I'm running 285/75R16 tires.

14. Oct 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Not meaning to threadjack, but can 5150s be installed in the rear without a lift? I'm eventually looking to lift 2-3 inches but don't have the cash right now. Was looking at 5100s up front and 5150s in the rear. Then in the summer buying eibachs and a new leaf pack.

15. Oct 16, 2011 at 11:07 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Its not a great idea especially if you have bad leafs due to the fact 5100s compressed length will be to short. If you don't wheel before you new packs you should be fine.

OP: Allpro Expo leafs have gotten raving reviews, they provide a TON of lift tho and ride stiff without some weight in the back. Give about 4-4.5'' of lift.

I went with Wheelers 5pks as im a 96 so my mousts don't line up. Then put the wheelers AAL in and 1.5'' shackles and i have about 4-4.5'' of lift in the rear.

Also Eibachs and 5100s are a great combo! i love mine.

16. Oct 16, 2011 at 11:34 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Ok thanks for the tip. I might end up just buying the new shocks and holding onto them until I buy the leaf pack and coils. I don't plan on hauling any weight this winter, but am getting sick of the jarring ride. 53,000 miles on the truck and I wouldn't have thought they would need replacing. PO must have hauled a lot with it.

17. Oct 16, 2011 at 11:38 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Yea thats a good idea man.

18. Oct 17, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    RickerRicker19

RickerRicker19 Dirty 3'

Member:
    Hillsdale, MI
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner 3rz 5spd
    Snorkel CB Anytime Locker 2" suspension 235/85 tires 2nd Gen 4runner Tire Carrier Custom full length roof rack Sound Proofing Various LED lighting Tundra Brakes LCE Header Diff Breather mods 1st Gen 4runner Roll Bar w/ removable cargo shelf Mostalined body Ditch Lights
    Not sure how these guys are for Tacoma lifts. I haven't heard anything but praise for their 4runner lifts though. Didn't see it mentioned so I thought I'd toss them in there.

www.sonoransteel.com

19. Oct 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    wksos

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Lifted TRD
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I have a couple more questions..

1. I found the Energy body mount kit for about $90 but the bolts aren't included-Toyota wants $20 a bolt and with 10 total that's slightly insane. Anyone know where I can get these for a decent price? Salvage yard maybe?

2. Do I need to get any additional parts for camber adjustment after the lift? I would aasume there would be a lot of positive camber after a 3+ inch kit is installed...

20. Oct 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen Tacoma
    Chicken lights, chrome and smoke tunes.
    aftermarket UCA's might help with the alignment. about $600 though. total chaos, camburg. etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top