1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

***Suspension lift help***

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Quicksand27, May 14, 2019.

1. May 14, 2019 at 1:23 PM
    Quicksand27

Quicksand27 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma
    Hey wazzup from Kaua’i, Hawaii. Sold my 99 tacoma and bought an 06 tacoma. It has a 3” leveling kit on it but I’m wanting to change it to a 6”. I do a lot of off-roading at our farm, on the beach to get to fishing spots, and I tow my work trailer on the daily. Right now the rear of my truck sags bad when I tow my trailer.

I’ve tried searching around this forum for suspension lift ideas but I couldn’t find exactly what I need for my type of drive condition.

Any advise/opinions on a “complete setup” for my situation. I was told to buy a fabtech or pro comp 6” lift and upgrade the rear shocks to Fox, icon, or king w/reservoirs to eliminate rear sag when towing. What do you guys recommend??

Side note: My trailer is within the 6500lb limit. Right around 4000lb.

Thanks in advance!

99F308BE-D3B4-4CEA-8716-81FEF79EFF47.jpg

2. May 14, 2019 at 1:33 PM
    Arrex

Arrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Shocks don't add lift. Your leaf pack is what you want to change or add a leaf to. Personally 6 in lifts are to much and you will probably run into issues with the angle of your front CV axle.

You can look into the OME Dakar pack; they have a medium or HD pack for different weights.... The fine people over at headstrong off-road will probably be able to help you out and give you better/more accurate info

floodedkiwi and Maven4x4 like this.
  3. May 18, 2019 at 5:58 AM
    DaveXIX

DaveXIX Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Nashua, NH
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sport Tacoma
    TRD Pro Grille, 33" Toyo MT's, 18" Fuel Revolver Wheels, 3"Billstein Lift (5100's with AAL's) Adjustable UCA's.
    Uhhh... no. A 6” lift is going to have a new knuckle that keeps a very level angle at the front axles. If you aren’t going to give good advice, don’t give ANY.

El Duderino and Quicksand27[OP] like this.
  4. May 18, 2019 at 5:59 AM
    DaveXIX

DaveXIX Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Nashua, NH
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sport Tacoma
    TRD Pro Grille, 33" Toyo MT's, 18" Fuel Revolver Wheels, 3"Billstein Lift (5100's with AAL's) Adjustable UCA's.
    I’m in the same boat as you. Haven’t found anything worth while yet...

5. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:13 PM
    Quicksand27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma
    Thanks DaveXIX! Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Everybody telling me to get Kings Shocks but I don’t think it’ll help with carrying the weight of my trailer. I was just told to run a ARB Old man emu leaf pack and shocks to match my current front lift and I can add a 6” fabtech or pro comp lift to it in the future and still use this leaf pack. Can anyone confirm this?

6. Jun 11, 2019 at 11:50 PM
    Bubble Wrap

Bubble Wrap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCSB MGM
    @toku58 might be able to point you in the right direction.

toku58 likes this.
  7. Jun 12, 2019 at 1:01 AM
    bs63366

bs63366 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Angelo
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB
    ARE Z-series shell, ImMrYo mirror lift, always on fog-lights.
    Pretty sure your only options are going to be getting heavier duty rear springs, but the issue with that is if you are off roading and need articulation they won't flex near as much or easily. The other option would be to look into setting up some helper bags for the rear end so you can add pressure for while towing and take it out when you take the trailer off.

Also, depending on how you have your trailer setup can change it as well. You never said or showed that, but a load equalizer will help put the COG farther forward and distribute the weight across the entire truck. Also if you can shift any of the weight back on the trailer will help as well and just reduce tongue weight.

toku58 likes this.
  8. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:58 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    The others are correct that shocks don’t do anything to support load. Rear leaf packs or load springs are what you need to help with the rear sag. As for 6” lifts? If you have a 4x4 and want good CV angles? I would recommend the Procomp. They lower you Diff a bit more then the Fabtech. Don’t waste your time with Rough Country (they are known to have strength issues), BDS is a high priced clone of the Procomp design, and Zone is their more affordable version.
    6” lifted trucks aren’t ideal for towing. But if that’s what you want? Then those are your options. Good luck!

9. Jun 17, 2019 at 3:33 AM
    Quicksand27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma
    Hey thanks for the replies bubble wrap, toku58, and bs63366. I’ve been looking at the dakars EL095R rear spring pack vs the crippled angler’s HD 4+1 spring pack. Anyone want to chime in on their opinions for these? I’m wondering how bad will the ride be when I go ride sands/off-road if I don’t have a load on the truck for either of these spring packs. I’m also looking at picking up a weight distribution hitch receiver. This is what I current tow on the daily. She sits pretty low and bottoms out on pots holes and speed bumps I can’t shift the trailer weight around. I just don’t fill the gas all the way up in the generator (oh and that machine on the tongue of my trailer is only there temporarily while I was parked)

F31A709C-C0D2-4772-B1C1-F9DBAED2F76F.jpg

10. Jun 17, 2019 at 5:00 PM
    bs63366

bs63366 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Angelo
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB
    ARE Z-series shell, ImMrYo mirror lift, always on fog-lights.
    If you are regularly towing I would go with the EL096R leaf pack. The nice thing about doing the heavy duty pack is that if it winds up being to heavy you remove the overload and then you have the light/med duty pack. I have the HD pack on mine and it does just fine off road and I only have camper shell on the rear of my truck so far. Either way I think that helper bags and a weight distribution hitch will help you out a lot as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top