1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Phisherman162, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Jun 20, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    Phisherman162

Phisherman162 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1998 2.7 4X4 & 2017 TRD OR
    1998: Body lift, debadged, ARB Bumper, Bilstein 5100 Shocks 2017: Leitner ACS rack, Treeline Rooftop tent
    I have a 98 2.7 4X4, body lifted, with 180,000 miles on it and still running strong. The shocks are thrashed and the ride is crappy and loose. I want to replace the shocks for as cheaply as possible, but still have a decent setup for road and off road. Everyone says to run the Billy 5100. What does everyone think about either the Rancho 5000 series, the Rancho 9000 series and the ProComp shocks? The Bilsteins sound good, but I am short on cash and am considering my options. Will I have to replace my springs up front as well? I want to keep the same basic height, maybe an inch or two of lift, but I drive this rig everyday to work, so I don't need it too tall.

I am a pretty mechanically inclined guy, so I imagine I can do this myself. Is there a good link for doing a swap for a 1st gen rig?

Thanks for any input.

2. Jun 20, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I wouldn't get the Ranchos.... (aka RONCHO). Although it was Years ago that I owned any, they leaked and don't last very long.

I don't have any experience with the 5100's - but they're a damn good way to lift your truck because they're adjustable.

You'll have to compare prices againest the 5100's to any other non adjustable standard shock replacement and weigh your options if the adjustability isn't something you need.

OME (Old Man EMU) shocks are very good but are a bit pricey. I've run Doetsch Tech shocks on my jeep and they're very good (and cheap). Bilsteins are also good, even the stock ones on the tacomas.

3. Jun 20, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Procomp shocks are junk. As Janster said, the Bilstiens would do you well.

4. Jun 22, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    Black Hills Tony

Black Hills Tony Active Member

Member:
    Joseph, Or
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD 4WD
    I just replaced my stock bilsteins with a set of 5100s in the front and 5125s in the rear. I'm very happy with the ride improvement both on the highway and on the trails.

I didn't replace any springs or anything like that, but I did take advantage of the adjustability of the front shocks by putting them in the middle setting (that's .75" lift I believe), which helps to keep my 265/75/16s from rubbing on the frame when I go over obsticles and whatnot.

I purchased mine from Down south motorsports....seems like I got a good deal.

I say go with billys.

5. Jun 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    Phisherman162

Phisherman162 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1998 2.7 4X4 & 2017 TRD OR
    1998: Body lift, debadged, ARB Bumper, Bilstein 5100 Shocks 2017: Leitner ACS rack, Treeline Rooftop tent
    I know you guys might be paid spokesmen for Down South Motorsports, but is that the cheapest place to get 5100's?

Is that all I am going to need for the front end? I can do the labor myself, I am pretty sure, but what else do I need to get to make this happen? How much are new springs and are they necessary?

6. Jun 24, 2009 at 6:45 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    No one here is a paid spokesperson for DSM that I know if...Sonny just gives TW the hook up on parts and is super knowledgeable about the stuff he sells. You can reuse the stock springs and all the hardware with the 5100's.

So you'll need a spring compressor to remove the old shocks and install the new ones....and then a jack to get the weight off the wheels...There is a how to remove the front strut post around here somewhere.

7. Jul 2, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    I also have a 1st gen. and would like a similar suspension. I drive a lot of highway and would like something adjustable so I can lift it only when I need to. I chekced out Down South Motorsports. The set (all 4) of them, do they need to be adjusted before installation or can they be adjusted as needed.

Products Discussed in

To Top