1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension re-do!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by anethema, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Jan 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    anethema

anethema [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    The previous owner of my truck did the rear suspension, beefing it up because he carried loads of wood and tools.

He put in airbags, 2 extra leafs (over what you americans call the TSB suspension, though that is what we get stock up here), and had the whole thing arched a bit to match the front.

Safe to say the damn truck feels like a hard tail with a empty bed.

I want to soften it up for ride, but keep the airbags in that way I've got the best of both worlds. Throw some PSI in and I've got load carrying...without it a nice ride.

Anyways after gathering some advice previous it seems if I remove the leafs he added plus the overload, and throw in the Icon AAL pack it should do the trick.

So I went a lookin for deals, and found Nicks4x4LT in BST selling the Icon leafs and nice Icon remote resi shocks! Made an offer and it was accepted.(He has been amazing to deal with BTW)

Now one question I have is how do I know which leafs are stock?

Here are some pics of the rear suspension. (One shock looks like it is leaking oil but it is just fluid film. I keep the chrome soaked in it to prevent rust because there had already been some)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jan 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    From the top down, looks like #3 and #5 were added.....different color steel and yellow pads.
    The TSB pack is 3+1 (3 leaves + 1 overload) configuration.
    Those shocks look ancient.

3. Jan 13, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
  4. Jan 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    I agree 3&5 were the extras and simply putting some decent shocks in there will do wonders for ur ride... Those look like 25 dollar rough country crap I use to use in work trucks... Hold a load but ride like shit

5. Jan 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    Ya I can't wait. One of the icons has a seal leak so I'm gonna give rebuilding it at home a shot. Then bring it to a shop to get the N2 charged.

6. Jan 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    You guys think my rear height will be close to the same ?Taking away 3 leafs, adding 3 thinner leafs plus better shocks ?

7. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
  8. Jan 15, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    Shouldn't be much different but a WAY better ride

9. Jan 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    Ya my current suspension being 're-arched' worries me for the leaf pack a bit, but I'll have to see how it goes.

10. Jan 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM
    black cx

black cx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    keep us updated

To Top