1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension/Steering Wheel Shake

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by avengedkevinfold, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Apr 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM
    avengedkevinfold

avengedkevinfold [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Socal - OC - Huntington Beach
    bilstien 5100s all the way around, ICON progressive 3 leaf kit, Illegal tint, snuglid SL, seatbelt chime mod. light racing UCAs
    I've got a 2011 dbl cab tacoma. long bed. installed bilstien 5100s all the way around. ICON progressive leaf kit. Fronts set at highest lift -- 2.5 inches. Also got a pair of Light Racing UCA's to get my alignment right. Caster is in the 2.2 range.

Toe is a little positive. Shop told me this is to compensate for when the shocks sag over time...the toe will come in.

Camber is very close to 0.

Here's the deal. -- When I go over speed bumps, bumps in the road, or driveway dips. There is a difference in the way that I feel the bump than stock. Yes, I understand that my truck will never drive the same as stock with a 3 inch lift. But, the best way to describe the feeling I get is that I feel a MINOR SHAKE in the steering wheel when I go over these bumps. However the shake in the steering wheel is not what concerns me. I understand that lifted trucks will usually always have a little of bump steer. The problem I'm having is that when the steering wheel shakes, it almost feels as if I can feel my stocks "bumping" or "moving" or whatever THOUGH the steering wheel. Almost as if my steering wheel is "loose" as I'm going over these bumps however I know that my steering wheel is not loose when I'm driving normal.

Does this make sense to anybody? Am I overreacting or is this normal?

Another way to describe it is that I can feel the "shock" VIBRATION/BUMP or something ...THROUGH the steering shaft/wheel as I hold it.

Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to explain myself clearly so someone can tell me if this is normal or not.

By the way, drives great when at speed! This "feeling" in the steering wheel just makes me feel uncomfortable and makes me feel like I need to go over speed bumps extremely slow.

Thanks

2. Apr 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I don't know if they make a steering dampner for our trucks, but that would help.
    Shocks do not sag, springs do, FYI.

3. Apr 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    mr smitty

mr smitty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner sport
    Westin Chrome running boards Rough Country 3" lift 17x9 motometal 951 chrome mickey thompson baja atz 285/70 17
    my steering wheel was shaking side to side as i drove over 40 mph. it was due to my big wheels not being balanced after rotated. After they balanced the wheels i was all set and smooth. I have a 3" rough country lift

4. Apr 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    avengedkevinfold

avengedkevinfold [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Socal - OC - Huntington Beach
    bilstien 5100s all the way around, ICON progressive 3 leaf kit, Illegal tint, snuglid SL, seatbelt chime mod. light racing UCAs

I meant to say my toe was very close to 0. CAMBER was a bit positive for planned sagging over time which would bring them in.

was my alignment shop doing the right thing by setting my camber positive a bit? My truck is 2011. Will the springs sag over time?

5. Apr 2, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    KevLot17

KevLot17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '10 Blacked Out TRD Sport
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    i think i know what you mean... im pretty sure my truck does the same thing at slower speeds when i hit a bump.. its kinda what it feels like when you have a bad strut/shock... but not as bad... ive felt this from the day i bought it so i just figure its a characteristic of the trucks... mines stock but im ordering the Toytec ultimate lift kit.. hopefully that dont make it worse..

6. May 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    DannyBFresco

DannyBFresco King Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    NorCal (Martinez) & LA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport SWB
    i have the TRD O/R stock suspension, but i had the same issue. it felt like something was knocking as my steering wheel shook side to side going over bumps. i took it to my local dealer, drove one of the mechanics around to demonstrate the problem, and they ended up replacing part (or all, don't quite remember) of my steering column!

7. May 24, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    DannyBFresco

DannyBFresco King Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    NorCal (Martinez) & LA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport SWB
To Top