1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

suspension suggestions?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by T.J., Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    T.J.

T.J. [OP] Taco Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North Port, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 V6
    Century Truck Topper, custom made "Batman" center caps, satoshi mod (Thanks tons, TY!), Hella 500 grille lights, painted radio, climate control, and radio surround panels, painted rear bumper
    I apologize for the question(s) if they have already been asked but my search efforts didn't work out. With that said, I'm considering a 3" lift for my DC LB PreRunner. My only motivation for this is to be able to put wider tires on. Currently have 265/70/17 on 17x9 wheels. Suspension is all stock with 41k miles.

With this size tire, I had the rubbing at full turn and trimmed the front fender to give clearance.

What I'd like to accomplish is a level riding truck where the ride 'quality' is not compromised. I'd like a wider looking stance for the wheels since this truck is long and appears 'narrow' to me with my current set-up.

Not sure about using wheel spacers, as I think this will cause more rubbing at full turn, so the lift seems to be the option I need.

While cost is always a factor, any suggestions for the components I'd need to meet my wants is greatly appreciated. Don't want to go broke, but don't want to go cheap, either.

The truck is not driven off-road, but I do drive long distances occasionally so ride quality is important. I'm not interested in frame spacers. Also, if anyone can tell me what the "cut-off" point is for tire size before a re-gear is needed or suggested?

2. Jan 7, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    you could go with Bilstein 5100's up front, the .85 wont hurt the ride quality but anything more may stiffen it up

you could spend some extra on adjustable coilovers

you will need wheelspacers to get the wider look

3. Jan 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    straycat241

straycat241 maXXXed out mid travel

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    montclair, ca
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD off road 4x2
    airaid intake, jba headers, jba exhaust, DMZ enginecage, King 2.5 coilovers , 1.25camburg uca's, total chaos lca's, shock hoops with Icon 2.5 piggybacks, camburg 4.0 Spindles, Defined engineering SUA, King 2.5" Shocks w/Reservoir, King 2.5 Bumpstops,shocktacobumper,moto metal 951's, compartment locks, blackgrill,Glassworks fenders front and rear,ViS racing glass hood,PIAA 510s,hella 500's,black rebadge,fabtech spare tire holder,tailgate delete,mudflaps delete,cobra 19 ultra iii
  4. Jan 7, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    1BlkT

1BlkT Mod'n on a Budget

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Sport Double Cab
    Allied 4'' Spindles, Sway A Way 2.5 Coilovers, Donahoe Remote Reservoir Shocks w/ Deaver 11Pack Leafs, Goodyear Duratrac 285's, Pro Comp Series 8128, Recessed Grill w/Hella 500's behind, Tint, Black TRD Skid Plate, Debadged, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Weathertech Mats, Aero Turbine 2525XL Exhaust, Volant Intake, RETRO'D Headlights by Yosh2000
    Well you could always go with spindles up front but they aren't cheap and then you have to lift the rear as well for it to be level. However, they will maintain the current ride you have now and they widen the stance up front. Spindles alone with extended brakelines will set you back 1k. You could run Allpros 3'' leaf pack in the rear to help level it out.

Or I would go with Bilstein 5100's up front for a more mild lift.

5. Jan 7, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    T.J.

T.J. [OP] Taco Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North Port, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 V6
    Century Truck Topper, custom made "Batman" center caps, satoshi mod (Thanks tons, TY!), Hella 500 grille lights, painted radio, climate control, and radio surround panels, painted rear bumper
    So far so good. Thanks. How about the re-gear question? Is there a certain size tire where a re-gear is recommended?

Based on these suggestions, how wide of a tire could I conceivably run, with or without wheel spacers staying with a 9" wide wheel? Kinda open-ended question, I know, but just looking for a general idea of what I'd gain going with a 3" lift. I see several on here who go with a 285/70/17, but I'd even consider a little wider if it will fit.

To Top