1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension upgrade for loading up bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lucifer6669, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Jul 31, 2019 at 10:21 AM
    Lucifer6669

Lucifer6669 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaime
    Vehicle:
    2015 white tacoma 2wd OR
    New to the forum. Spent a year looking at the site for a lot of ideas and finally decided to sign up and ask my first question. I'm looking to beef up the rear end suspension because I'm tired of loading up the truck and it turning into a low rider. I dont want to lift it all that much and wanting to keep it level. Any thoughts and suggestions would be great thank you.

15645936352281177998993792029817.jpg

E-Paz 732NJ likes this.
  2. Jul 31, 2019 at 10:56 AM
    mojojojo78

mojojojo78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prerunner Access Cab SR5 V6 6 Speed Manual
    None... yet
    KY_Rob likes this.
  3. Jul 31, 2019 at 1:26 PM
    Lucifer6669

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaime
    Vehicle:
    2015 white tacoma 2wd OR
    will that handle the extra weight? or just level it out? I just recently went camping and had my truck loaded up that with every bump i had to basically come to a stop because i was bottoming out. im ok with a little lift or not either way. i just want to be able to handle a bit more weight when loaded up and towing.

4. Jul 31, 2019 at 2:08 PM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    You will not be able to improve the rear leafs and not lift the truck.

You cannot defy the laws of physics. Heavier duty leafs are larger and thus will lift.

Now you can go with air bags and only inflate them while in use.

mojojojo78 and E-Paz 732NJ like this.
  5. Jul 31, 2019 at 2:26 PM
    taco912

taco912 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North of the Bridge
    Vehicle:
    2006 AC 4.0 AT 4x4 SR5 TRD OR
  6. Jul 31, 2019 at 2:39 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    air bags for sure! definitely your best option for the use you describe.

KY_Rob likes this.
  7. Jul 31, 2019 at 2:47 PM
    Gregthespy

Gregthespy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Metallic TRD Sport 4X4
    I just put in sumo springs before my camping trip this month. They’re a decent option in my opinion. It helped with the bouncing while pulling my camper (350lb tongue weight and use a weight distribution hitch) but they did make a difference in smoothness. And I just loaded the bed with 400lbs of bagged water softener salt this weekend and it really made a difference in the stability of the truck. Leveled out nicely with that weight in the back. It didn’t raise my rear ride height but maybe 1/2”.

I’ve had air bags before and seemed like I was always chasing a leak at some point. And I’m not ready to dump a ton into a full suspension upgrade. So these seemed like a good choice, so far so good.
    May be something to look into.

8. Jul 31, 2019 at 2:52 PM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    OEM: TRD Pro Grille & Garnish, TRD Pro Skid Plate, TRD Pro Rear Tail Lights, Tailgate Remote Lock, Black Chrome Exhaust Tip, Black Emblem Overlays, Bed Mat Vorra65 AC Drain Mod Kit FBC Harness Solutions (aka daveeasa) D-I-R Harness with Aux out Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Taco Garage Dashtop Multi-Mount MESO: Gashole, Total Tails Stg1, V5 Switchback Mirror Turn Signals, HitchPod + S1, Vent Rings AJT Designs: Radio Knobs, Door Handle Covers Black Forest Industries Shift Knob for R8…using an adapter MountainHatch Tailgate Insert KTJO4x4 Drivers Side Grab Handle Cali Raised Catalytic Converter Shields BajaDesigns NextGen Squadron SAE Amber fogs Bilstein 6112 Front & 5160 Rear ICON Add-A-Leaf pack ICON Sway Bar Relocation Blocks ECGS Bushing 17” SEMA Gunmetal Gray Wheels with LT255/75R17 KO2’s Active Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit w/Timbren Bump Stops Redline Elite Hood Struts
    Air bags for loading the truck without changing ride height or suspension. That’s what they’re for. Inflate to desired load pressures, load truck and enjoy!

9. Jul 31, 2019 at 2:55 PM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    OEM: TRD Pro Grille & Garnish, TRD Pro Skid Plate, TRD Pro Rear Tail Lights, Tailgate Remote Lock, Black Chrome Exhaust Tip, Black Emblem Overlays, Bed Mat Vorra65 AC Drain Mod Kit FBC Harness Solutions (aka daveeasa) D-I-R Harness with Aux out Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Taco Garage Dashtop Multi-Mount MESO: Gashole, Total Tails Stg1, V5 Switchback Mirror Turn Signals, HitchPod + S1, Vent Rings AJT Designs: Radio Knobs, Door Handle Covers Black Forest Industries Shift Knob for R8…using an adapter MountainHatch Tailgate Insert KTJO4x4 Drivers Side Grab Handle Cali Raised Catalytic Converter Shields BajaDesigns NextGen Squadron SAE Amber fogs Bilstein 6112 Front & 5160 Rear ICON Add-A-Leaf pack ICON Sway Bar Relocation Blocks ECGS Bushing 17” SEMA Gunmetal Gray Wheels with LT255/75R17 KO2’s Active Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit w/Timbren Bump Stops Redline Elite Hood Struts
  10. Jul 31, 2019 at 3:00 PM
    Lucifer6669

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaime
    Vehicle:
    2015 white tacoma 2wd OR
    What are some good airbags? Nothing super expensive But still good quality? So far I think I'm going with the air bags unless others have better options.

KY_Rob likes this.
  11. Jul 31, 2019 at 3:01 PM
    Plucky was his name

Plucky was his name Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Reg Cab Taco 4x4 5-speed manual
    ARB Front Bumper, Wet Oakle Seat Covers, Aftermarket Stereo, OME suspension with Heavy Duty Dakar Leaf Springs
    I had the Firestone airbags on my Tacoma for over one hundred thousand miles, when my truck was a devoted work truck, and I never had cause to regret the decision. I did have a little leak in one of them toward the end, but that would be my only quibble — and the leak was probably my fault anyway for running them for too long without minimum inflation. Airbags would likely be a good call for you.

Foster Imposter and KY_Rob like this.
  12. Jul 31, 2019 at 3:28 PM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    If you've ever seen a dump truck with auxilary rear axle they use air bags for load management. They're the only option that you can tune to match the final spring rate(leafs plus bags) to the load and still retain stock ride/height unloaded. Air adjustable shocks are a poor option because shock mounts aren't made to carry weight whereas the leaf shackles are both frame mounted and the air bags sit between the frame and axle. If your minimum load already has you sagged or bottoming out then I'd reccomend an add-a-leaf to remedy that and the bags for anything more(my cap and base load has me wanting this since my minimum air is ~25psi) but if you drive with an empty bed then just bags is all you need. In spite if this I've never needed more than 65psi with a max load. Sumos or timbrens are a simple option but are like add-a-leafs in that they offer a fixed increase to spring rate. It can be a hassle for some but the volume is so low that even a bike pump will suffice to air up. As a carpenter I carry a CO2 bottle for convenient nail gun use and have my fill valves under the center console so I can air up and check pressure anytime.

Products Discussed in

To Top